Thornton Signs Extension

flavum

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 04:39 PM)
I'll do some homework later. But has there been a better non-closer in baseball the last three years? One guy that jumps off the top of head is Mike Adams.

He's second to Mariano Rivera in WAR in the past three seasons.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 02:28 PM)
Compare this deal to the deal Jenks got from Boston. I like this.

Yea, I was just thinking this. I find it quite funny that he got exactly the same deal over the next two years. You don't think there's a message there, do you?

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 12:39 AM)
'05 might have this year slightly beat, but who knows :)

I am pretty sure he means like, this is the biggest year, like, pre-year. There is more pressure to succeed this year than any other year during their tenure. Going in to 2005, there was not this kind of pressure.

This actually reminds me a lot of the Blackhawks going in to last season. They knew they were going to have a massive payroll and figured they would have to blow up the team at the end of the year, so it was All or Nothing. Luckily, they achieved the ALL.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

Very happy with this extension, especially when you saw what the likes of Soriano were getting in FA. It makes sense for both sides, he's obviously happy here, and he's had his best years with the Sox. Hopefully that will continue going forward.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 06:51 PM)
2012--the Sox have 12 players signed right now for 93.5 million.

They better win this year.

Most of those guys could be moved in a heartbeat though.

Paulie would probably be difficult to deal without eating salary. Peavy and AJ could easily be moved if enough salary were eaten since they'd be in the last years of their deals (Sox would have to eat the buyout on Peavy probably). Teahen wouldn't go anywhere without paying the majority, or perhaps entirety, of his contract.

But other than that we're really not in trouble. If we had to open a firesale we could do it and come away with a ton of prospects. I think where organizations get into trouble is when they're nearly maxed out in payroll and most of it is tied up in players they can't at least dump. And I think that even if we did have to blow it all up, we'd still have enough assets to sell and enough open payroll room to kind of rebuild on the fly, to where we're competitive again in 2-3 years.