Rock Band March Madness

knightni

QUOTE (T R U @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 05:09 PM)
What the hell are you talking about, Metallica sounds nothing like Led Zeppelin.. And im sorry, but Led Zeppelin is not even close to metal

Would there have been a sound even close to Metal without Led Zeppelin pioneering their brand of Rock?

John Bonham alone helped introduce a whole new style of playing the drums that is a precursor to the speed of Metal.

Edited by RockRaines

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering that Metallica covers Led Zeppelin songs and credits Led Zeppelin for their sound, Im just going to have to believe you have no idea what you are talking about.

http://www.encycmet.com/cover/

Here are a list of Led songs Metallica has covered:

Custard Pie

-Original: Led Zeppelin

Dazed and Confused

How Many More Times

In My Time of Dying

Moby Dick

Original: Led Zeppelin (II)

Stairway to Heaven

-Original: Led Zeppelin (IV/ZOSO)

And here is an article where Ulrich credits Led Zeppelin:

"A lot of these bands that came out of that period, everything about the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal that I really liked was that all these bands were really grounded. There was a relaxed atmosphere around them, it wasn't sort of...

"Everything that had been going on in the '70s with bands like QUEEN and PINK FLOYD and DEEP PURPLE and LED ZEPPELIN, it was all about this larger-than-life type of thing and all these bands that were so grand and so majestic and so kind of out there. And a lot of these new bands — IRON MAIDEN and DIAMOND HEAD and all these bands — they were just kids, and they had their feet very firmly planted on the ground. So, in some way, the spirit of that whole movement was about keeping it real and all those attitudes just kind of rubbed off on us and rubbed off on me and made me want to start a band and really have the fans involved and give the fans as much access as possible."

Or maybe youd prefer Hetfield and his top 10 songs:

http://www.metallicaworld.co.uk/James-Hetfield.htm

2. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin

http://www.metallica.com/Band/james.asp

With the likes of Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Thin Lizzy providing inspiration, James quickly set about the task of becoming a rock star in his first band, Obsession. Made up of the Veloz brothers on bass and drums, with Jim Arnold on guitar, plenty of time was spent in the Veloz's garage jamming with Ron McGoveny and Dave Marrs acting as roadies. McGovney subsequently stepped in alongside Marrs and Hetfield when the Veloz brothers incarnation ended.

So you are right, even though the members of Metallica credit Led Zepplin as an influence for their sound, Led Zepplin had no influence.

Its fine for you to hate on Led Zeppelin, its just hilarious based on your other comment.

Led Zeppelin's Coda was my first vinyl album, followed shortly thereafter by Michael Jackson's Thriller.

I can understand not caring for LZ, as I don't really care for the Beatles, but to not respect the impact they had on rock music is being a bit closed-minded. Tough to respect someone's musical opinion whatsoever if there is not at least a begrudging respect for such a huge pioneer in the industry.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 06:23 PM)
Yeah, Metallica has said that Iron Maiden and Sabbath were both drivers of their sound, both of those bands also list LZ as influences.

I figured this is a better list for TRU:

http://www.mtv.com/bands/m/metal/greatest_...406/index.jhtml

More your sound?

It doesn't even matter, the opinion of what is rock and what is metal now is so twisted.. that's my main problem with that bracket, a lot of people on that list I don't consider to rock at all..

And yeah Metallica named Led Zeppelin, they also named a s*** ton of other bands too.. what are they suppose to say? Led Zeppelin sucks? Listing cover songs means nothing either, people do covers of other people s*** all the time..

I get it, you guys like LZ.. I think they are awful, to each his own.. I still don't think they are metal

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 11:01 PM)
The Who gets overlooked a lot it seems, and the Clash are probably the most underrated on that list.

Also, Metallica sucks balls, cannot stand them.

You can say that again. I was actually surprised they were ranked #3, they usually get disrespected a lot more (Rolling Stone listing them as #29 on the list Soxbadger posted earlier).

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 01:06 AM)
You can say that again. I was actually surprised they were ranked #3, they usually get disrespected a lot more (Rolling Stone listing them as #29 on the list Soxbadger posted earlier).

For as popular and influential as they were (they blew LZ out of the water in popularity), they really should be a 1 or 2 seed.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 12:39 AM)
How do you rate popularity?

If you do it by albums sold, LZ blew The Who out of the water. Same with Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones and The Beatles, all bands who were also seeded above The Who.

I didn't grow up in the era, hell Im only 21 yrs old, but The Who had 17 top ten albums, LZ had 9 I believe. From what I heard from many people who lived in that era, The Who were much more popular than LZ, but LZ has appealed to the following generations much more. Now I could be wrong on this, but this is from a few people I know that are huge music fans that grew up on this music.

And Im not trying ot take away anything from LZ, they were one of the first artists that I bought a CD from, and are truly a great band and have done wonders for the music world.

I also find it amazing that I can consistently go back and listen to Pink Floyd and love it each time, that is one band that is so unique yet so exceptional.

I didnt live in the era either but part of the reason why LZ doesnt have 17 albums is that they didnt make 17 albums. Everyone has their opinion, I think The Who are fine at 3, maybe could have been a 2 but Im not a fan of U2 so they could have easily slid.

If I had seeded my top 4 would have been, LZ, Pink Floyd, The Beatles and The Rolling Stones.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 02:08 PM)
Led obviously is a 1 seed and could be the top seed overall.

U2 is the worst 1 seed (which makes sense as Pink Floyd is one of the best 2 seeds with Nirvana). In fact there is no way U2 should be over Pink Floyd.

Agreed. U2 is garbage compared to Pink Floyd. David Gilmour > Bono

There are several bands in the tourny I do not care for, but I can respect that they are on the list. I'm not much of a metal fan, but understand Metallica being on the list. And as far as searching for "expert opinion" to back up opinions of musical taste, Jethro Tull won the first Grammy for Heavy Metal. A flute is heavy metal I guess. Was Tull anywhere on the list? :lol:

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 06:43 AM)
There are several bands in the tourny I do not care for, but I can respect that they are on the list. I'm not much of a metal fan, but understand Metallica being on the list. And as far as searching for "expert opinion" to back up opinions of musical taste, Jethro Tull won the first Grammy for Heavy Metal. A flute is heavy metal I guess. Was Tull anywhere on the list? :lol:

Ian had quite a laugh when Crest of a Knave won the Grammy. Chrysalis Records (the band's label at the time) even took out an ad in a British music industry magazine with the line, "The flute is a heavy, metal instrument!"

To be precise, the award was in the hard rock/heavy metal category and not specifically heavy metal. Most folks were expecting Metallica to win for "And Justice For All", and I was hoping Jane's Addiction would take it with "Nothing's Shocking", but as a long-time JT fan I was happy enough that they got the nod.

The year before, Zappa finally won a Grammy for "Jazz From Hell" in the Best Rock Instrumental Performance category. I sort of think of both the Tull and Zappa Grammys as unofficial lifetime achievement awards to make up in a small way for the lack of awards in the past.

Led Zeppelin was pretty much a perfect band. Great vocalist, guitar, bass, and drummer. I don't even see how their greatness can be argued.

U2 has made relevant music for 30 years. You might not like it, but it's popular, critically and commercially successful, and has evolved. Most bands their age are greatest hits acts. They might not be your thing, but dismissing them is silly.

Pearl Jam > Nirvana.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 10:53 AM)
I can't stand Pink Floyd, but I know a lot of people who can't. They're a very polarizing band.

A lot of people who like, and don't like, Pink Floyd based it on what was played on the radio.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 10:10 AM)
Led Zeppelin was pretty much a perfect band. Great vocalist, guitar, bass, and drummer. I don't even see how their greatness can be argued.

U2 has made relevant music for 30 years. You might not like it, but it's popular, critically and commercially successful, and has evolved. Most bands their age are greatest hits acts. They might not be your thing, but dismissing them is silly.

Pearl Jam > Nirvana.

To me that is the key here. There are plenty of these bands I like and dislike on your own merit. To me what puts bands into the GOAT category is their influence after the fact. Someone like Nirvana changed music forever, as did groups like Led, the Beatles, U2 etc. That puts them in a category above everyone else IMO. Also the fact that these groups are still beloved on their own merits today counts for something, even still performing in some cases, is also bonus points in my book. It means not only do they have legendary status for their history, but their current stuff is still relevant.

The Wall by Roger Waters was the best concert Ive ever been too. The Wall was one of my least favorite Pink Floyd albums, but after seeing it live I think Comfortably Numb may be one of my favorites. The only bad part was that it just wasnt the same without Gilmour playing the guitar. Generally my favorite album was Animals, with Three Pigs being normally my favorite song.

Pink Floyd isnt for everyone though.