Illinois enacts Internet sales tax law

Y2HH

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 09:56 AM)
There is nothing illegal about it. As I understand it, if you order something online from a business in another state, its the same as when you buy something while travelling and they elect to ship it to you to avoid sales tax.

Check your IL 2010 income tax forms. They ask specifically about such purchases.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 02:26 PM)
I will do no such thing. ;)

I tried too...but when I thought about online purchases I made this year, I couldn't think of any conveniently. I have a bad memory for such things, I guess.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
I use Amazon a TON, this ruling sucks donkey cock. It's not sales tax that has ruined brick and mortar stores, its their horrible prices, service, and return policies.

I'm sorry, but do you actually remember using Amazon a ton, or do you THINK you used Amazon a ton?! :unsure:

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
I'm sorry, but do you actually remember using Amazon a ton, or do you THINK you used Amazon a ton?! :unsure:

My 2010 tax return says I may have thought I used amazon, but I didnt and my memory is bad.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 02:36 PM)
My 2010 tax return says I may have thought I used amazon, but I didnt and my memory is bad.

That's the same issue I ran into.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
Hey guys thanks for pointing out why this bill was seen as necessary!

Nobody knows what you are even talking about.

And this bill isn't necessary for the exact reasons we pointed out...because it still didn't do anything. Until all 50 states enact some variation of this bill, it doesn't matter...which is what I said in the first place.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 03:42 PM)
Nobody knows what you are even talking about.

And this bill isn't necessary for the exact reasons we pointed out...because it still didn't do anything. Until all 50 states enact some variation of this bill, it doesn't matter...which is what I said in the first place.

"1 state should not enact this bill because the other 49 have not".

"But how would you get to the point where all 50 have enacted it if you don't start with individual states?"

"Magic".

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
Or federal law, which would of course be seen as trampling on states' rights!

How does this bill not do anything? You'll have to pay sales tax in Illinois now, right?

AS of yesterday, no.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
Or federal law, which would of course be seen as trampling on states' rights!

How does this bill not do anything? You'll have to pay sales tax in Illinois now, right?

No. I still don't. That's the point.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 03:46 PM)
Checked amazon today, still no sales tax.

That's because Amazon abandoned IL affiliates...so you aren't purchasing anything from IL when you buy things on Amazon anymore...thus no state tax. It's up to you to "remember" and "tell them" what you bought...but this has long been the "law", which is why it's on your 2010 IL tax form, etc...

It's a shame so many people in IL suffer from memory loss. :/

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 03:49 PM)
That's because Amazon abandoned IL affiliates...so you aren't purchasing anything from IL when you buy things on Amazon anymore...thus no state tax. It's up to you to "remember" and "tell them" what you bought...but this has long been the "law", which is why it's on your 2010 IL tax form, etc...

It's a shame so many people in IL suffer from memory loss. :/

I cant recall ever pushing the complete order button.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)
Did anything in this law actually force Amazon to shut down its affiliates in the state, or is it just vindictively doing that in a way to force a pro-amazon policy change in that state?

Its not vindictive, it was the smart business decision. They had two choices...

1. Charge sales tax on all purchases by IL customers

or

2. Shut down all IL affiliates

They chose two because it had a much smaller impact. And even though it bit me in the ass, and it annoys me personally, I can see why they did it.

I'm sure you can see the underlying critique I'm going to give in reply then.

Didn't both sides then make the smart decision for them? Illinois has a budget hole. Enacting that tax will either help close it or will push a competitor for local businesses out of the state.

No one forces Amazon to decide not to pay Sales tax...they are clearly fighting to keep that advantage, and they're clearly taking their actions by choice.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
I'm sure you can see the underlying critique I'm going to give in reply then.

Didn't both sides then make the smart decision for them? Illinois has a budget hole. Enacting that tax will either help close it or will push a competitor for local businesses out of the state.

No one forces Amazon to decide not to pay Sales tax...they are clearly fighting to keep that advantage, and they're clearly taking their actions by choice.

Well it appears most of the affiliates are trying to move their business out of state, which actually hurts Illinois more than it helps them. They really didnt add any tax revenue to their bottom line, just ousted some more business in state.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 05:12 PM)
Well it appears most of the affiliates are trying to move their business out of state, which actually hurts Illinois more than it helps them. They really didnt add any tax revenue to their bottom line, just ousted some more business in state.

A game which, as other have pointed out, only works as long as other states are willing to let Amazon freeload there.

Anyway...All I'm trying to say is that you can justly criticize the IL government here, but if you're going to do that, I think Amazon deserves a similar amount of criticism. Both of them made choices that hurt Amazon's affiliates, but they did that because the current situation is not a good one for the state of IL.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 04:15 PM)
A game which, as other have pointed out, only works as long as other states are willing to let Amazon freeload there.

I think we all know Indiana will allow pretty much anything to take business away from Illinois.

Illinois should gut corporate taxes, gut environmental legislation, gut workplace safety rules and union rights and keep cutting public services (especially education!). Before long, we'll be right there, competing with the likes of Mississippi and Arkansas for the best businesses in the country!