2011 White Sox closer

justBLAZE

116 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the closer this year?

• Matt Thornton
    • Chris Sale
    • Someone else
    • combo/commitee

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 05:14 AM)
Someone in the game thread last night mentioned a stat where Matt Thornton has more blown saves in his career than saves. Insane. How the f*** can we keep trotting him out there in that role?!?!

That would be the case for pretty much any career setup man. Blown save would mean giving up the lead in the 7th, 8th, or 9th I believe.

Edited by JorgeFabregas

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 10:20 PM)
I dislike Ozzie, but there is no way he should be blamed for the recent struggles. These relievers have been hilariously bad and there's nothing a manager could do. But no matter whose fault it is, both the GM and manager need to be let go if the team doesn't make the postseason.

Do we have anybody in the minors that is getting groomed to be a closer? Not saying for this year?

I dislike Ozzie, but there is no way he should be blamed for the recent struggles. These relievers have been hilariously bad and there's nothing a manager could do. But no matter whose fault it is, both the GM and manager need to be let go if the team doesn't make the postseason.

I agree that it's ultimately the players' fault that the pen hasn't gotten it done, but that doesn't change the fact that Ozzie set his guys up to fail today and shouldn't have pulled Buehrle a couple days ago.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 06:24 PM)
Make it 3

Is that now two or three blown three run leads in the 9th???

Sale blew a lead in the 8th by giving up two runs in a game they eventually lost, I think to the Royals.

Then we had the game two nights ago we ALMOST blew b4 Alexei saved it.

The only game the bullpen didn't mess up was the Masterson/Danks game, and we were actually leading that one heading into the 5th or 6th by one run. After that, the bullpen really let it get out of control, but we've been leading at different points in all 12 games now.

And we've gone down 1-2-3 like ducks in a row in final at-bats in the five losses so far.

or

Is that now two or three blown three run leads in the 9th???

Sale blew a lead in the 8th by giving up two runs in a game they eventually lost, I think to the Royals.

alities s

Then we had the game two nights ago we ALMOST blew b4 Alexei saved it.

The only game the bullpen didn't mess up was the Masterson/Danks game, and we were actually leading that one heading into the 5th or 6th by one run. After that, the bullpen really let it get out of control, but we've been leading at different points in all 12 games now.

ve

And we've gone down 1-2-3 like ducks in a row in final at-bats in the five losses

/quote]bullpen Jenks always made closing an adventure. Seldom did we see him retire 3 straight batters in the ninth. Don't you think that our relievers could fool some of the opposing hitters at least some of the time.

QUOTE (bulokis @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 10:32 PM)
Do we have anybody in the minors that is getting groomed to be a closer? Not saying for this year?

every team in the minors has one lol

but really i dont see anyone down there becoming a closer, as of now the only one who even has a chance at it would be anthony carter who ironically is not even closing in AAA....maybe bobby thigpens groomin someone down in A ball

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 03:27 AM)
If we're truly "all in" we need to go and trade for a closer ASAP...not sure if it's going to be possible but someone should be out there by the All Star break hopefully

If there is, it's going to be someone along the likes of K-Rod (due to contract and off-field and deterioration of stuff) or Fuentes/Capps last year (with the Twins).

We're only going to be able to get a 3rd or 4th tier guy that will probably give us the same results as Jenks the last two seasons.

http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/roto_...=fantasy-343622

Article at yahoo sports (roto) arguing for Santos as closer.

Edited by caulfield12

Sale should close. He had no business being in yesterday's afternoon game as he pitched 2 innings the night before. That was a pitiful decision by Ozzie and Cooper. They aren't going to listen to Peavy always tell them he is ready, but he will listen to a kid not a year out of college with about 30 career innings under his belt? Thornton in the 8th, Sale in the 9th will eventually bring the Sox victory.

Also, has anyone else ever noticed when Ozzie tries to stick up for his players vs. fan boos or taunts, usually within 48 hours he's throwing someone under the bus? He certainly did yesterday at his press conference.

The good news is the Sox are 1 game out of first place, and if they could catch a flyball with the consistency of a pony league team, they would be in first place. As long as Thornton's struggles aren't permanent, they should be OK.

Edited by Dick Allen

I mostly agree, though I do definitely blame him specifically for yesterday's f***-up. You don't tell a guy you're his closer, then pass him up when he's rested in favor of a rookie who pitched 2 innings the night before the day game, and then bring in said supposed closer once the situation is nearly out of hand. That is poor managing.

Overall on the season though, before that point, I agree, he seemed to be handling it as best he could.

QUOTE (bulokis @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 10:32 PM)

Minors includes some guys closing who have some varying degree of potential: Bellamy, Infante, Remenowsky, Jones. I'm not sure any of them, other than maybe Infante, really profile as closers in the bigs though. I think all four are more likely to be middle relief and setup guys, but you never know.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 08:54 AM)
I mostly agree, though I do definitely blame him specifically for yesterday's f***-up. You don't tell a guy you're his closer, then pass him up when he's rested in favor of a rookie who pitched 2 innings the night before the day game, and then bring in said supposed closer once the situation is nearly out of hand. That is poor managing.

Didn't Ozzie stop saying that Matt was his closer after the first loss to the A's?

Giving Santos an opportunity should be easy to do at this point.

Ozzie can spin it in a way that won't be devastating to Thornton's psyche.

He can simply say that "Santos has earned a shot at it, by having gone unscored upon all Spring and thus far in the season."

It should be more about Santos earning a promotion, than Thornton and the others getting demoted.

Of course, who knows if he'll be any better. "Geees", I hope so.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 08:09 AM)
Giving Santos an opportunity should be easy to do at this point.

Ozzie can spin it in a way that won't be devastating to Thornton's psyche.

He can simply say that "Santos has earned a shot at it, by having gone unscored upon all Spring and thus far in the season."

It should be more about Santos earning a promotion, than Thornton and the others getting demoted.

Of course, who knows if he'll be any better. "Geees", I hope so.

A good way to spin it is to put Thornton on the shelf with an "injury" while Santos closes, then have MT return to his old setup role when he comes back.