2011 White Sox closer

justBLAZE

116 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the closer this year?

• Matt Thornton
    • Chris Sale
    • Someone else
    • combo/commitee

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Santos hasn't been used up until that point he's got to be the next in line to be thrown out there in the 9th. Problem with that is then we're going to have a struggling reliever out there in the 7th or 8th. Hopefully these guys get their s*** together quick because this is becoming an epic disaster at this point.

I think you have to go with Santos at this point. He's been our best reliever so far this season and he should be our long term answer anyways.

Once Peavy comes back, I'd DFA Pena, call up Infante, and move Humber back to long relief. I think Infante is going to be a huge factor for us at some point this season. With those moves along with Santos as closer, I believe our bullpen comes together quite nicely. Obviously everything is dependent on Santos.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 06:53 AM)
Sale should close. He had no business being in yesterday's afternoon game as he pitched 2 innings the night before. That was a pitiful decision by Ozzie and Cooper. They aren't going to listen to Peavy always tell them he is ready, but he will listen to a kid not a year out of college with about 30 career innings under his belt? Thornton in the 8th, Sale in the 9th will eventually bring the Sox victory.

Also, has anyone else ever noticed when Ozzie tries to stick up for his players vs. fan boos or taunts, usually within 48 hours he's throwing someone under the bus? He certainly did yesterday at his press conference.

The good news is the Sox are 1 game out of first place, and if they could catch a flyball with the consistency of a pony league team, they would be in first place. As long as Thornton's struggles aren't permanent, they should be OK.

Who did Ozzie throw under the bus yesterday?

The problem with the bullpen isn't the arms--it's the roles. I feel very confident that if they give Santos a shot at closer, he'll thrive.

The first step is to get Thornton back to his old role.

And I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I think Chris Sale needs to go down to the minors and start. It's not a penalty for having a 7+ ERA. It's just that they probably don't need three lefties in the pen if Thornton isn't the closer. Let's develop Sale as a starter the right way. Let him go down to Birmingham and build up innings, so he's ready to go next year when the rotation will have an opening or two.

I had suggested Anthony Carter come up, but that's probably premature. But how about a Brian Bruney or a Josh Kinney for middle relief for now?

Once Peavy comes back, you can have Humber and Pena in long relief. Ohman and Bruney (or another righty) in mid-relief. Thornton and Crain setting up. And Santos closing. I think this is the best bullpen setup given who they have in the organization.

All is not lost with the bullpen. They just need to put the puzzle pieces in the right order.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 09:44 AM)
I think you have to go with Santos at this point. He's been our best reliever so far this season and he should be our long term answer anyways.

Once Peavy comes back, I'd DFA Pena, call up Infante, and move Humber back to long relief. I think Infante is going to be a huge factor for us at some point this season. With those moves along with Santos as closer, I believe our bullpen comes together quite nicely. Obviously everything is dependent on Santos.

I agree that Pena needs to go. He's an abject failure. And this is coming from a guy who defended him. He's the prototypical pitcher with tons of talent that never translates. He'd be the perfect guy to throw to the dogs to both rid ourselves of his lack of production and send a clear message to the other relievers.

And before some jagoff makes a smartass remark like "yeah, its a great idea to DFA a guy because of three appearances", he's been this way during his entire tenure with the Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 10:40 AM)
I wouldn't cut him, but I have no problem with him becoming the long reliever.

I think I'd rather keep Humber for that role. The problem is once Peavy comes back, who do you get rid of if you want to improve the bullpen? Crain, Thornton, and Santos aren't going anywhere. Despite his struggles so far, Sale has the potential to be our best reliever this year, so I don't see KW sending him down. Ohman is signed for another season and we all know how much Ozzie loves his lefties. If you want to add someone to the pen, it comes down to Pena or Humber going and I'd keep Humber right now. Not that I think he's anything special, but I feel more confident with him as our emergency starter than Pena.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2355515:date=Apr 14, 2011 -> 10:40 AM:name=southsider2k5)-->
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 10:40 AM)
<!--quotec-->I wouldn't cut him, but I have no problem with him becoming the long reliever.

I think I'd rather keep Humber for that role. The problem is once Peavy comes back, who do you get rid of if you want to improve the bullpen? Crain, Thornton, and Santos aren't going anywhere. Despite his struggles so far, Sale has the potential to be our best reliever this year, so I don't see KW sending him down. Ohman is signed for another season and we all know how much Ozzie loves his lefties. If you want to add someone to the pen, it comes down to Pena or Humber going and I'd keep Humber right now. Not that I think he's anything special, but I feel more confident with him as our emergency starter than Pena.

Didnt we just add Jeff Grey by sending down Milledge.... so can`t we just send down Grey once Peavy returns?

QUOTE (kapzk @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
Didnt we just add Jeff Grey by sending down Milledge.... so can`t we just send down Grey once Peavy returns?

What I was saying was once Peavy returns (and Gray has been sent down), if you want add a reliever via the minors or trade, you'll have to cut loose Pena or Humber. If that's the case, I'd cut Pena.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 06:41 AM)
If there is, it's going to be someone along the likes of K-Rod (due to contract and off-field and deterioration of stuff)

I'd go for that if the Mets give some money in return and don't expect much from the Sox.

They could be desperate to cut payroll due to the ownership situation.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 01:56 PM)

“Right now, as we speak, Sergio Santos might be the next guy on the list,” White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper said Thursday on MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM.

Read more: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2011041.../#ixzz1JYhZK1v4