2011 NFL Lockout Thread

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant believe the owners revealed the outcome of their vote when the players havent even voted yet. If I was part of this, both sides vote at the same time, both sides reveal the outcome at the same time. No way do I let my clients position be known so the other side can come back and go "Well if we could get just 1% more wed have a deal."

Not so sure that I like how the players are going about this.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)
I cant believe the owners revealed the outcome of their vote when the players havent even voted yet. If I was part of this, both sides vote at the same time, both sides reveal the outcome at the same time. No way do I let my clients position be known so the other side can come back and go "Well if we could get just 1% more wed have a deal."

Not so sure that I like how the players are going about this.

The owners totally set this up to change public opinion against the players if they vote this proposal down. Its a pretty dirty, and savvy, move.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)
I agree thats what the owners are doing, I just dont know if its the best move. It really depends on what you want, do you want the deal done or do you want public opinion. Because I think blind votes gets the deal done.

I think the owners didn't get rich by being stupid. They are trying to squeeze those last few bucks out of the players by putting them out there in public as the hold up. If the players vote it down, despite the deal not really being done, fans are going to hold it against the players for the most part.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 10:47 AM)
I think the owners didn't get rich by being stupid. They are trying to squeeze those last few bucks out of the players by putting them out there in public as the hold up. If the players vote it down, despite the deal not really being done, fans are going to hold it against the players for the most part.

That's a good point. Fans yesterday were already rejoicing that the season was gonna start. Now if it suddenly is on hold again, they probably will raise an eye towards the players.

I dont think you can say that this gambit will definitely play out for the owners. At the end of the day public opinion only means so much. If I know that another side wants a certain deal, that puts me in a better negotiating position. Could this be a ploy, who knows, Im just tired of the nonsense, and I guess I just dont think its as close as people are making it. Id love to be wrong, but it just seems odd how this is progressing.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 11:30 AM)
So turns out I completely misconstrued the situation.

The deal the owners have approved wasnt even reviewed by the players yet. Kind of a screw job to the players.

But wasnt it the same deal they negotiated with DeMaurice Smith? Since DeMaurice Smith is essentially the players representative at the negotiating table (same as the owners having reps at the table), then they passed a plan that the players rep approved. It's not the owner's that fault Smith didnt give the players all of the details yet.

PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

That is what I Thought, but what Im reading now seems to suggest otherwise.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/07/22/...n20082008.shtml

Not so, said NFL Players Association chief DeMaurice Smith, who talked with Goodell several times by phone during the day and was informed of the owners' vote before an official announcement went out. It didn't take long for Smith to fire off an email to team reps denying it was a done deal.

"Issues that need to be collectively bargained remain open; other issues, such as workers' compensation, economic issues and end of deal terms, remain unresolved. There is no agreement between the NFL and the players at this time," Smith wrote.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)
But wasnt it the same deal they negotiated with DeMaurice Smith? Since DeMaurice Smith is essentially the players representative at the negotiating table (same as the owners having reps at the table), then they passed a plan that the players rep approved. It's not the owner's that fault Smith didnt give the players all of the details yet.

PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.

I think the short version is that they approved a deal that had all the elements of things they'd talked about with Smith, but that Smith hadn't agreed to, and that Smith hadn't seen until something like an hour before the actual vote.

I am so confused. Smith was going to the players with a proposal to approve, then says "Issues that need to be collectively bargained remain open". Then which is it? He didnt say "Issues that need to be collectively bargained were changed", just that they "remain open" and "There is no agreement". If there is no agreement, then dont go to the players to approve something that isnt final.

My head hurts.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 11:43 AM)
I think the short version is that they approved a deal that had all the elements of things they'd talked about with Smith, but that Smith hadn't agreed to, and that Smith hadn't seen until something like an hour before the actual vote.

Why would Smith schedule a call to the player reps without even knowing exactly what he is going to present?

"Ok, we're going to vote. I dont know on what yet, but we'll have something to vote on"

The more I think about it, the owners were brilliant. They KNEW the players had no idea what they were voting on. they knew they probably would not like some it (that's Smith's fault in my opinion), so they jumped the gun and make them look bad if they reject an offer that Smith agreed to.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 11:46 AM)
Why would Smith schedule a call to the player reps without even knowing exactly what he is going to present?

"Ok, we're going to vote. I dont know on what yet, but we'll have something to vote on"

The more I think about it, the owners were brilliant. They KNEW the players had no idea what they were voting on. they knew they probably would not like some it (that's Smith's fault in my opinion), so they jumped the gun and make them look bad if they reject an offer that Smith agreed to.

I'm sure 99% of the players will just vote how they are told without actually reading the deal anyway.

If the clock ever starts, here's how the alarms go.

Day 1: Voluntary player training, conditioning and classroom work at team facilities. Also, a brief exclusivity window will open. Teams can renegotiate existing contracts of current players. They can sign draft picks and re-sign their own free agents. At 2 p.m. ET, they can commence negotiations with other teams' free agents and also undrafted rookies but not officially sign them.

Day 2: Teams can start signing undrafted rookies at 2 p.m. ET.

Day 5: Teams can formally sign any unrestricted free agents. Restricted free agents can sign offer sheets. Trades can be completed. All teams must be under the $120 million salary cap. Rosters can expand to 90 players. Training camps can open but activities are limited to physicals, meetings and conditioning.

Day 6: Training camp practices can begin but without pads.

Day 7: Players again can't wear pads during practices.

Day 8: Padded practices can begin.