Make it Milledge

macsandz

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By not many people, I believe you mean Ozzie. It's hard not to believe it when you have 1421 PAs against righties at an .857 OPS and 528 PAs against lefties with a .773 OPS. With that type of sample size, you have to respect his platoon splits.

Quite honestly, Quentin seems like the kind of guy who would be a great player for Tampa, considering Maddon quite strictly goes by statistics and not by the typical book. He would use Quentin against RHP and he would produce like crazy. Of course, that would be only after he were non-tendered by the White Sox this year and there were limited to no interest in him next offseason.

This, I doubt we get anything for him in a trade, but you never know. Would luv to get one of those 11 draft picks the Rays have piled up. Especially in either the 1st or 2nd round, yeah right.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 01:43 AM)
This, I doubt we get anything for him in a trade, but you never know. Would luv to get one of those 11 draft picks the Rays have piled up. Especially in either the 1st or 2nd round, yeah right.

Well that's downright impossible considering a team cannot trade draft picks, and must wait 1 year to trade a player after drafting and signing a player.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 01:43 AM)

Wouldn't be able to do that, they wouldn't have been under team control for a full year so they wouldn't be able to trade them. Beyond that, that's something the Rays really try to avoid as they really can't afford to deal any of their prospects considering how much in-house development they do.

Oh, and if Lastings Milledge hits 15 homers, someone will have gotten seriously injured early in the year. He's simply not that type of hitter. His career high is 14, and that was over 587 plate appearances.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 09:51 PM)
By not many people, I believe you mean Ozzie. It's hard not to believe it when you have 1421 PAs against righties at an .857 OPS and 528 PAs against lefties with a .773 OPS. With that type of sample size, you have to respect his platoon splits.

Several SABRs aren't buying into it either. Quentin's BABIP against LHP is

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE (3E8 @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 08:40 PM)
He'd be a perfect platoon with Quentin if you believe Carlos' reverse splits are legit. But not many people do.

Do you believe his home/road splits the last two seasons are legit? If so, maybe it should be a home/road platoon. 2008 he crushed anywhere, but that was TCQ, a whole different person.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 02:03 PM)
Do you believe his home/road splits the last two seasons are legit? If so, maybe it should be a home/road platoon. 2008 he crushed anywhere, but that was TCQ, a whole different person.

At this point with Carlos, we sorta have to see what we get. If he comes out of the gates and struggles or gets hurt, then play him as much or as little as he earns.

No one can honestly tell me which of his yearly splits will be the ones that represent this year.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
Several SABRs aren't buying into it either. Quentin's BABIP against LHP is

To suggest that a BABIP of less than .200 is normal would be criminal unless it was me that was hitting, but Quentin's BABIP has never, ever been good. For his career, it's only at .251, which is sad in itself.

With regards to the BABIP, some of it is undoubtedly due to him being unlucky. However, for his career, he's hit about 45% of his balls in play for fly balls, and that increases against lefties to about 50%. As you know, flyballs tend to deliver more extra base hits (and in quite a few home runs, depending on how line drives are determined and the 0.000001% of inside the park home runs on ground balls) but they create more outs as well. As such, Quentin's BABIP is going to be lower than normal as it is. He's also hit about 15% of his flyballs out of the park in his career, which is extremely impressive and perhaps a bit lucky too.

I also think his BB% against lefties may be some of the left handers doing themselves. Generally Ozzie Guillen has sets his lineups to alternate handedness, so it's likely that quite a few of the times Quentin has faced a lefty that a left handed hitter has been hitting behind him, and thus the pitcher is pitching around or flat out walking him to get to the next hitter. Some of it is likely also the fact that Quentin sees the ball better, but that doesn't necessarily mean he hits them better.

It's hard to say. I'm sure some of it is, but it's hard to ignore that large of a sample size. Hopefully he turns it around and has a BABIP of around .300 this year, because he'd be an MVP candidate.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
I can see the 2012 OF being Milledge-Rios-Viciedo at this rate.

That's possible, but Dunn and A.J. would be the only lefties in our lineup then. That's going to be a serious concern for us in the long-run, because our entire core is right-handed outside of Dunn and we don't have many left-handed prospects in our system, especially ones who will be ready to take over a major league job anytime soon.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 09:57 AM)
That's possible, but Dunn and A.J. would be the only lefties in our lineup then. That's going to be a serious concern for us in the long-run, because our entire core is right-handed outside of Dunn and we don't have many left-handed prospects in our system, especially ones who will be ready to take over a major league job anytime soon.

That really makes the Brandon Allen trade look a lot worse. :( The Diamondbacks had him play a few games at left field if I'm not mistaken.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
That really makes the Brandon Allen trade look a lot worse. :( The Diamondbacks had him play a few games at left field if I'm not mistaken.

Yep, he is a good enough athlete to play a corner outfield spot.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)

I've got to be honest, I hated that trade at the time and still do. I have no idea if Allen will ever make it in the majors, but he was our only left-handed power prospect and we had potential future holes at 1B & DH at the time. Now that we have Dunn and Konerko signed to long-term deals, it's not as big of a deal to me that he's gone. Regardless, trading him for a reliever like Tony Pena given our situation back then still makes no sense IMO.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 10:33 AM)
Let's wait until he actually hits in the majors

Exactly not only that but the word out of AZ is that they really don't like him that much. Who knows maybe he will turn it on, but he is not our problem nor will he become some super talent.

Brandon Allen, for whatever reason, hasn't been given much of a chance yet. He's torpedoed AAA the last year and a half. Nothing for him to prove there. He's #2 on the depth chart behind Juan Miranda. Which is pretty silly to me. But I would imagine BA will get a chance to really prove himself this year. Helps a lot that he's athletic enough to play the OF. I admit, I defended the trade when it happened. But looking back, it really was an awful move. An athletic 22-23 year old left-handed power bat with the ability to play multiple positions is a far more valuable commodity than the Tony Pena's of the world. Every team in baseball has a Tony Pena stashed away somewhere.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (quickman @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 10:44 AM)
Exactly not only that but the word out of AZ is that they really don't like him that much. Who knows maybe he will turn it on, but he is not our problem nor will he become some super talent.

What's there not to like? He improved his BB rate a ton last year. 83 BB to 95 Ks. The power is real. Athletic enough to play a corner OF spot. He's going to K. But most power bats not named Pujols do. He doesn't have to become a super talent. Hell, I'm sure 'Zona would be more than happy if he could give them similar production as that of Adam Laroche.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 09:17 AM)
Milledge was on the radio last night after the game.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/?podcast_url=h...mp;dcid=CBS.CHI

For a player who some take as downright arrogant, he sounded very grounded in that interview. I loved the things he had to say about understanding that he's not fighting for a starting role but rather to prove that he can provide a good team with solid depth. I think it's important for a player to recognize their current role and put any past accolades or success behind them...to concentrate on the now....and it seems Lastings is doing just that.

He came off ok in the interview, but I've heard Milton Bradley sound ok in interviews too.

I've heard Adam Dunn say he's a good teammate. I'll take his word for it. I just hope Ozzie or his teammates teach him how to act on the field. The guys that disrespect the game tend to not stick around.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 02:05 PM)
He came off ok in the interview, but I've heard Milton Bradley sound ok in interviews too.

I've heard Adam Dunn say he's a good teammate. I'll take his word for it. I just hope Ozzie or his teammates teach him how to act on the field. The guys that disrespect the game tend to not stick around.

The White Sox clubhouse is....different. As long as he's not like Swish or OCab, he's got a shot.