3rd Base....NO....not Teahen!

balfanman

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 07:37 PM)
it's just a call out to push Morel a little, from what's reported, they'll take Morel and his plus defense with Alexi on the left side over Teahen and some decent O and terrible D

I sure hope you're right. I value good defense, and that does not include Mark Teahen anywhere on the diamond.

But... but... but Hawk said Teahen was good defensively!

Seriously I've always loved Hawk, but the one thing I can never stand is how he PRAISES seemingly ever player just because they "do something" against us or because they simply on our team. I remember rolling my eyes when Hawk used to rant about how great a player Andy Gonzalez was going to be.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 10:52 PM)
But... but... but Hawk said Teahen was good defensively!

Seriously I've always loved Hawk, but the one thing I can never stand is how he PRAISES seemingly ever player just because they "do something" against us or because they simply on our team. I remember rolling my eyes when Hawk used to rant about how great a player Andy Gonzalez was going to be.

I thought Agon was gonna be a stud after that like 12-pitch AB against Zumaya in the bottom of the 9th. One of the coolest things I've ever seen.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 12:49 AM)
I thought Agon was gonna be a stud after that like 12-pitch AB against Zumaya in the bottom of the 9th. One of the coolest things I've ever seen.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 01:05 AM)
Sox fans are smart.

Sigh....

Sox fans are smart. They know Teahen is a utlility guy at best. If he starts and boots a grounder Opening Day the fans will let him have it. He'll be this year's Kotsay.

Which implies that Ozzie will start him every day. C'mon Dallas (not gonna happen), make a run here........

Ozzie can say whatever he wants but actions speak louder than words. Everyone remembers Teahen butchering the 3B position time and time again last year, ozzie even erupted after his multi error game in Detroit late last year that defiantly cost us that game. If his defense is a true liability, he wont be there, period.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 12:56 AM)
Can't blame Ozzie SAYING it after offensive clinic Teahen is putting up so far. Doesn't mean it will happen.

On the other hand, if Teahen is handed the starting third baseman role, does Morel make the team?

I would guess Lillibridge AND Milledge make the team in that scenario and Morel goes to AAA (until the second week of the season when Teahen has 5 game-costing errors).

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 01:38 AM)
It was "reported" by a few outlets today that Edwin Jackson would be the first Sox starter this spring to have the "everyday lineup" behind him. Guess who was at 3B? Ugh.

And Omar was at 2nd.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 01:57 AM)
Pushing Morel? Ok, but not if it means he is just overwhelmed with pressure.

If you can't handle pressure in Spring Training, then how the f*** are you going to be expected to be a main piece on a contending team? If he can't handle this, he deserves to be sent down.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 01:38 AM)
It was "reported" by a few outlets today that Edwin Jackson would be the first Sox starter this spring to have the "everyday lineup" behind him. Guess who was at 3B? Ugh.

Not sure about your sources, but it has been reported by many that we can expect the "everyday lineup" during the last 7 to 10 spring training games. Way to early, let's not panic.

They were to compete for the job in spring training. Teahan has won or at least is winning. Pinning your hopes on an unproven rookie is risky. If Teahan faulters Morel is a phone call away. Teahan makes the roster anyway. If Morel stays behind then some one else makes the roster.

Going by stats the first couple weeks of spring training to figure what's going to happen during the season usually doesn't work out. If the Sox think Morel is the answer, but then change their minds because of 21 early spring training ABs, they are in panic mode. I don't think anything has changed. Ozzie isn't trying to push Morel, he's trying to keep Teahen's confidence high. Morel doesn't need pushing. He's a rookie who probably is pressing. 21 ABs the first 2 weeks of spring training means zilch.

Sox fans are smart. They know Teahen is a utlility guy at best. If he starts and boots a grounder Opening Day the fans will let him have it. He'll be this year's Kotsay.

Will be? He has been since the trade last year. I literally believe there are no Teahen fans on this board.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 02:15 AM)
:pray Ozzie states in tonight's Tribune that he's been impressed with Teahens' 3rd base defensive improvement of late. Just because Teahen made one diving stop.

If you have been bad then one good play is all it takes. Throwing errors seem to be his thing

Guys, Morel is going to get the job. It's not a question at this point. Teahen will be the 2011 verson of Kotsay- meaning he'll be the "flexible" guy so to speak.

Also, Teahan was starting to hit last year before he was injured. Not saying that he's worth the contract, but people seem to forget it.