3rd Base....NO....not Teahen!

balfanman

I believe that all of this Teahen love right now is being generated by KW to develop a buzz so some team will take him off of our hands. We need D, I want Morel. Yes, Morel can hit enough and he will be Ozzie 9th place hitter and Vizquel will play 2 games a week.

Edited by Springfield SoxFan

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 01:14 PM)
His name is Teahen. Teahen. Teahen. Teahen. Teahen. Teahen. Teahen. Teahen. Teahen. Teahen. Teahen. Teahen. Teahen. Teahen. Teahen. Teahen. Teahen. Teahen. Teahen.

Other players on the team are:

Mark Buehrle

Alexei Ramirez

Chris Sale

What about Adam Done?

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 02:11 PM)
That depends, is a .250 OBP good enough?

In other words, no, Morel hasn't hit good enough.

That was my rule for him. He needs to earn the spot. If he struggles through the whole spring, he needs to have a few weeks of hitting well at AAA.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
What about Adam Done?

If someone butchers his name that badly, I'd probably throw a rock through my monitor at them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)
In other words, no, Morel hasn't hit good enough.

That was my rule for him. He needs to earn the spot. If he struggles through the whole spring, he needs to have a few weeks of hitting well at AAA.

I actually wouldn't have a problem with that. It may sound stupid, but I don't want another Brian Anderson situation on our hands where the guy is just handed the job and has done nothing to earn it. Even if it's just a week or two in the minors, at least it will show him that he can't just get away with not performing.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)
I actually wouldn't have a problem with that. It may sound stupid, but I don't want another Brian Anderson situation on our hands where the guy is just handed the job and has done nothing to earn it. Even if it's just a week or two in the minors, at least it will show him that he can't just get away with not performing.

A week in the minors is hard to pull off since the Knights don't immediately start games, he'd be in minor league camp for a bit before the first game.

I don't think Morel's mind is in the same boat as Anderson, he's actually overcome struggling and adapted to every level. I just don't think that right now, the difference between Morel not hitting and Teahen not fielding is that big. If Morel can hit a little, he'll be worth something, if Teahen could somehow field a little bit then he'd be worth something.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
A week in the minors is hard to pull off since the Knights don't immediately start games, he'd be in minor league camp for a bit before the first game.

I don't think Morel's mind is in the same boat as Anderson, he's actually overcome struggling and adapted to every level. I just don't think that right now, the difference between Morel not hitting and Teahen not fielding is that big. If Morel can hit a little, he'll be worth something, if Teahen could somehow field a little bit then he'd be worth something.

If Teahen can field, I'm shipping him of to LAA with cash for whatever I can get

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 01:04 PM)
Simple question; has Brent hit well enough to earn the job?

He hit .323 for the full minor league year last year, so the answer to your question is yes. I'm not going to let 21 or 25 or 50 plate appearances in Arizona before stats actually count take precedent over 527 plate appearances in the minor leagues last year.

Now, if he is taking his struggles at the plate onto the field with him and it hurts him there, then you have a legitimate reason. Or if he's banged up, or if they do feel as though he needs more seasoning, then those make sense. You can't take anything from numbers in Spring Training.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 06:49 PM)
. You can't take anything from numbers in Spring Training.

I agree. We aren't seeing all the ST games so we don't know what kind of outs he's making. Maybe he's hitting the crap out of the ball so far and just getting unlucky, these are the types of things that the coaches get to see and thus are in a better position to make a decision as to whether or not he's ready for the bigs or needs some time in charlotte to start the year.

After getting a two-day break, third baseman Brent Morel returned to the White Sox lineup on Sunday and knocked out two hits in the 6-1 victory over the Dodgers. Manager Ozzie Guillen thought Morel was pressing a bit in Thursday's night game at the D-backs, leading to the brief respite.

"He's fine," said Guillen of Morel, who is now hitting .200 but with just two strikeouts in 25 at-bats. "We gave him a couple of days off to work on his hitting and his approach. As a kid, you are going to be kind of anxious. I don't say panicking, but he tried to overdo stuff to try to impress people.

"We talked to him about backing up and make sure you are yourself. He at least feels more comfortable swinging the bat today. Like I say, guys aren't going to make the ballclub ... If someone hits .600, that opens our mind. But if it's what we need, that's what we are going to get."

Guillen praised Lastings Milledge for the way he has been playing, especially with his outfield defense. Matt Thornton pitched the ninth in Sunday's victory, and while Guillen cautioned not to read anything into that move, he still seems to prefer Thornton as his closer.

It's a decision Guillen wants to arrive at after the next staff meeting later this week.

Link

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)
Wishful thinking, but Dallas is going to finally break out in AAA and be up with the club to rescue 3B in June ...

One can argue that Dallas has "broken out in AAA" several times already now though. You never know, but it's just highly doubtful at this point he can be any sort of a significant help to a major league club.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)
Wishful thinking, but Dallas is going to finally break out in AAA and be up with the club to rescue 3B in June ...

If MacPherson is our 3B, we will be talking more about what we can get in trades for people like Danks and Buehrle.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
One can argue that Dallas has "broken out in AAA" several times already now though. You never know, but it's just highly doubtful at this point he can be any sort of a significant help to a major league club.

His true breakout year will come when he gets that K rate under 30% over a season in AAA. Currently at 33% for the spring, FWIW. It's hard to be a productive major league player with a k% in the mid 30s, you gotta be awful special with the bat and sport an elite BB rate.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 07:07 PM)
I believe that all of this Teahen love right now is being generated by KW to develop a buzz so some team will take him off of our hands. We need D, I want Morel. Yes, Morel can hit enough and he will be Ozzie 9th place hitter and Vizquel will play 2 games a week.

I believe Teahan is being showcased, but if he shows enouhg maybe the Sox will keep him. Really boils down to what yopu can get for him other than unload his contract. Teahan's erros seem to be throwing errors. What does that mean? Footwork or grip on the ball or arm angle? I haven't seen a lot of ST TV games with Teahan in there to say. I do see Morel making some real fine plays though.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
I believe Teahan is being showcased, but if he shows enouhg maybe the Sox will keep him. Really boils down to what yopu can get for him other than unload his contract. Teahan's erros seem to be throwing errors. What does that mean? Footwork or grip on the ball or arm angle? I haven't seen a lot of ST TV games with Teahan in there to say. I do see Morel making some real fine plays though.

If the White Sox could simply unload his contract, they would have done it in November. That has immense value in itself.

With regards to his throwing inaccuracy, it's possible that he simply just does not throw very accurately. Perhaps thinking while he's throwing or just doesn't have a consistent release point or whatever else. It happens.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 01:05 PM)
If the White Sox could simply unload his contract, they would have done it in November. That has immense value in itself.

With regards to his throwing inaccuracy, it's possible that he simply just does not throw very accurately. Perhaps thinking while he's throwing or just doesn't have a consistent release point or whatever else. It happens.

That could also be that he hasn't had enough reps at one position to ever get comfortable there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
That could also be that he hasn't had enough reps at one position to ever get comfortable there.

That was our thinking going into the season with him as the starting 3b last year, so we gave him all of ST and the first 2 months of the season. We saw how that turned out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 01:12 PM)
That was our thinking going into the season with him as the starting 3b last year, so we gave him all of ST and the first 2 months of the season. We saw how that turned out.

Most guys play the same position for years. Some guys can't pick it up in a short period of time. Other guys never pick it up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)
Most guys play the same position for years. Some guys can't pick it up in a short period of time. Other guys never pick it up.

If he can't pick up the position in 3+ months last year, plus all the time he did spend there in KC, then either he doesn't belong there, he ought to be in the minors learning the position, or he better hit the crap out of the ball so that no one cares when he boots one.