East Region

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 11:03 PM)
OSU, not an elite team, sorry.

I thought OSU should of beaten Kentucky by 10 but Kentucky played great defense tonight.

That was a cold shot by Knight. Craft was all over him.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew this game would be a tough one. A game like that is exactly why I thought OSU got screwed on their draw. They had a good team, but they had to get through Kentucky and UNC/Syracuse just to get to the Final Four. Both of those teams tonight deserved a deep tournament run, but they got stuck in the same bracket instead of putting someone good in the Pitt bracket.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 10:08 PM)
True to some extent but UK just absolutely locked down OSU on the perimeter. I really didn't feel like OSU was getting good looks at the basket tonight.

Just a good and simple game plan. Let Harrellson go 1 on 1 with Sullinger and just keep their perimeter guys locked down and with the length of UK it's not exactly the easiest thing to get an open look if they're not rotating to double off Sully.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 10:10 PM)
I knew this game would be a tough one. A game like that is exactly why I thought OSU got screwed on their draw. They had a good team, but they had to get through Kentucky and UNC/Syracuse just to get to the Final Four. Both of those teams tonight deserved a deep tournament run, but they got stuck in the same bracket instead of putting someone good in the Pitt bracket.

I hope what I said to you before the tournament started didn't sway you in picking this game. :lol:

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 10:00 PM)
Took their worst game of the season for uk to win. f***ing shame, this team was one of the best.

Not going to laugh at you since that's a hard loss to swallow, but no. They were a fraud that a good team could beat if they played them properly, and Kentucky did the trick. I've noticed quite a few people were with me and had this happening too, so I really can't call it a shocker.

People were trying to make good teams like Duke and Ohio State into great teams when they just were not. They were good but very beatable teams, and now, not surprisingly at all, both are gone. I thought Kansas was the best team in this tournament going in, but really, they're flawed too. Everybody is. Fortunately for Kansas, the road to the title game was paved, so they should be there. The other side of the bracket should be a blast though with four evenly matched teams left.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 12:00 AM)
Not going to laugh at you since that's a hard loss to swallow, but no. They were a fraud that a good team could beat if they played them properly, and Kentucky did the trick. I've noticed quite a few people were with me and had this happening too, so I really can't call it a shocker.

People were trying to make good teams like Duke and Ohio State into great teams when they just were not. They were good but very beatable teams, and now, not surprisingly at all, both are gone. I thought Kansas was the best team in this tournament going in, but really, they're flawed too. Everybody is. Fortunately for Kansas, the road to the title game was paved, so they should be there. The other side of the bracket should be a blast though with four evenly matched teams left.

Total bulls***, but you are entitled to your opinion if if its slightly haterish.

OSU is not a fraud in any sense of the word, they started 4 probable NBA players and just had the worst shooting night of the season. William Buford went 2 or 16, something he never does, and they missed countless layups and open shots. OSU has played better defensive teams throughout the season and just had a letdown game after two of the most dominant games of the tournament. I'm sure you think a tournament loss like that all of a sudden makes up what a team has accomplished the entire season, and thats fine, but thats just not the case. There probably hasnt been a "great" team by anyones standards since Florida repeated as champs, but this one one of the best OSU teams i have ever seen and that includes a team that went to the national title game. They were one of the most if not the most complete team in the country.

with Sullinger, Buford and Thomas all saying they are coming back after the game, I feel pretty good about next year anyway when they can make a run at another conference title and still be considered "not that good."

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 04:47 AM)
Total bulls***, but you are entitled to your opinion if if its slightly haterish.

OSU is not a fraud in any sense of the word, they started 4 probable NBA players and just had the worst shooting night of the season. William Buford went 2 or 16, something he never does, and they missed countless layups and open shots. OSU has played better defensive teams throughout the season and just had a letdown game after two of the most dominant games of the tournament. I'm sure you think a tournament loss like that all of a sudden makes up what a team has accomplished the entire season, and thats fine, but thats just not the case. There probably hasnt been a "great" team by anyones standards since Florida repeated as champs, but this one one of the best OSU teams i have ever seen and that includes a team that went to the national title game. They were one of the most if not the most complete team in the country.

with Sullinger, Buford and Thomas all saying they are coming back after the game, I feel pretty good about next year anyway when they can make a run at another conference title and still be considered "not that good."

How about this: admit your team, which lost in the sweet 16 in one of the worst years in recent college basketball history for top teams/in general, wasn't nearly as good as you thought it was. Because the fact is, that's what actually happened. You dominated a Big 10 which had 5 teams lose in the first weekend of the tournament, and zero make the elite 8. Ohio State was a fraud, as was the entire Big 10. You can explain all you want about their season, but top teams are judged on what they do in the tournament. I'm not being a hater considering the facts are on my side.

And we'll see about Sullinger and Buford. Thomas coming back makes sense, but Sullinger is an idiot if he passes up being a top 5 pick to return and risk more NBA scouts realizing he's Sean May part 2. I'm not sure exactly what Buford's status is. I think he's a late 1st round type guy, and it'd make sense for him to come back if he can't get a first round promise from somebody. If he does get information that says he'd be a first round pick and comes back though, he risks losing that guaranteed contract as a 1st rounder. I think he's a classic guy who'd be smart to test the waters.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 12:43 PM)
How about this: admit your team, which lost in the sweet 16 in one of the worst years in recent college basketball history for top teams, wasn't nearly as good as you thought it was. Because the fact is, that's what actually happened. You dominated a Big 10 which had 5 teams lose in the first weekend of the tournament, and zero make the elite 8. Impressive. You can explain all you want about their season, but top teams are judged on what they do in the tournament. I'm not being a hater considering the facts are on my side.

And we'll see about Sullinger and Buford. Thomas coming back makes sense, but Sullinger is an idiot if he passes up being a top 5 pick to return and risk more NBA scouts realizing he's Sean May part 2. I could sort of understand Buford coming back since he'd be a senior and has confidence he'd improve his stock. But he'd be taking a risk too since he's probably a #20 ish pick in the draft right now. Come back and struggle, and your first round pick status, and guaranteed money, are gone.

There's no guaranteed money if there is no CBA agreement.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 10:44 AM)
There's no guaranteed money if there is no CBA agreement.

I am going to make the radical prediction that 1st round picks will still get guaranteed contracts in the new CBA. There may not be an NBA season next year though, which is obviously a wild card.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 11:43 AM)
How about this: admit your team, which lost in the sweet 16 in one of the worst years in recent college basketball history for top teams/in general, wasn't nearly as good as you thought it was. Because the fact is, that's what actually happened. You dominated a Big 10 which had 5 teams lose in the first weekend of the tournament, and zero make the elite 8. Ohio State was a fraud, as was the entire Big 10. You can explain all you want about their season, but top teams are judged on what they do in the tournament. I'm not being a hater considering the facts are on my side.

And we'll see about Sullinger and Buford. Thomas coming back makes sense, but Sullinger is an idiot if he passes up being a top 5 pick to return and risk more NBA scouts realizing he's Sean May part 2. I'm not sure exactly what Buford's status is. I think he's a late 1st round type guy, and it'd make sense for him to come back if he can't get a first round promise from somebody. If he does get information that says he'd be a first round pick and comes back though, he risks losing that guaranteed contract as a 1st rounder. I think he's a classic guy who'd be smart to test the waters.

LOL, no, I wouldnt want to admit something that wasnt true, my team played a bad game and got bounced, they still dominated the #2 RPI conference in the country and beat several teams that were still left standing as of this weekend. Its fine you dont like OSU, not many people do. It's hard to call a team with one of the best post players in the country, the best 3 point shooter in the country, one of the best freshman and 6th men in the country and 2 other NBA players a fraud.

And Sean May part 2 huh? It took Sean May 3 years to do what Sullinger did his freshman year. May was a stellar 11-8 guy when he was Sullinger's age, and even at his prime in college, he still was only a 17-10 guy and was surrounded by ridiculous talent. If he stays, I dont think its stupid at all, in fact I wish more kids would value the college experience over taking the dollars just because you MAY steal some money by having a good year.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 12:49 PM)
I am going to make the radical prediction that 1st round picks will still get guaranteed contracts in the new CBA. There may not be an NBA season next year though, which is obviously a wild card.

Yeah, 1st round picks will probably still get guaranteed contracts, I don't think that is controversial. The lack of an NBA season is what I meant.

No one will be signing or getting paid in those contracts if a lockout starts.

Without saying it, it seems people are hating on Sullinger for some reason today. They act like he didn't do anything last night. A freshmen in an elite 8 game puts in 21 and grabs 16 rebounds. That's sick and anyone saying he is Sean May, is out of their mind.

This coming from a guy who hates Ohio State. Get serious folks.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 12:07 PM)
Without saying it, it seems people are hating on Sullinger for some reason today. They act like he didn't do anything last night. A freshmen in an elite 8 game puts in 21 and grabs 16 rebounds. That's sick and anyone saying he is Sean May, is out of their mind.

This coming from a guy who hates Ohio State. Get serious folks.

I'm certainly not hating on him for his performance last night but there's a pretty decent chance he'll become Sean May in the NBA. May was pretty damn awesome in college as well.

Everything and I mean everything about Sullinger, reminds me of Sean May.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
I'm certainly not hating on him for his performance last night but there's a pretty decent chance he'll become Sean May in the NBA. May was pretty damn awesome in college as well.

Everything and I mean everything about Sullinger, reminds me of Sean May.

Everything like what? Certainly not statistics or actual results.

As Freshman

Sean May

11 points 8 reb 47% FG 57 % FT

Jared Sullinger

17 points 10 reb 54%FG 70% ft national freshman of the year.

Heres a better comparison (pretty decent chance)

13.4 points 7.3 reb 59% fg 60% FT

Thats Elton Brand as a freshman

In case you were wondering the impact the players actually had on their teams in comparison:

May: 125 points 89 rebounds

Brand: 281 points 154 rebounds

Sullinger: 635 points 377 rebounds

May played 11 games as a freshman. His sophomore year, he averaged 15.2/9.8, and his junior year he averaged 17.5/10.7. May also blocked the ball a bit better too.

I don't think either comparison is outlandish. Nobody knows what Sullinger will do in the NBA until he actually gets there. Seems to me that Sean May ate himself out of the NBA, and that's something that Sullinger can avoid pretty easily so long as he doesn't get that 7th double cheeseburger from McD's. It never hurts to have expected and worst case comparisons though.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 01:04 PM)
May played 11 games as a freshman. His sophomore year, he averaged 15.2/9.8, and his junior year he averaged 17.5/10.7. May also blocked the ball a bit better too.

I don't think either comparison is outlandish. Nobody knows what Sullinger will do in the NBA until he actually gets there. Seems to me that Sean May ate himself out of the NBA, and that's something that Sullinger can avoid pretty easily so long as he doesn't get that 7th double cheeseburger from McD's. It never hurts to have expected and worst case comparisons though.

Sullinger was actually a bit lighter than he was listed this season as he lost a bunch of weight before the season started. Its safe to say that players with that talent level and who have shown coachability should improve year to year, and I expect that out of Sully. He still hasnt shown much of his midrange game in college quite yet which he liked to display in alot of AAU games in HS. Regardless, you cant place a comparison on a kid between a freshman and someone who has spent 3 years in college, there is a giant leap that these kids take between their soph and junior seasons generally.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 11:45 AM)
Everything like what? Certainly not statistics or actual results.

As Freshman

Sean May

11 points 8 reb 47% FG 57 % FT

Jared Sullinger

17 points 10 reb 54%FG 70% ft national freshman of the year.

Heres a better comparison (pretty decent chance)

13.4 points 7.3 reb 59% fg 60% FT

Thats Elton Brand as a freshman

In case you were wondering the impact the players actually had on their teams in comparison:

May: 125 points 89 rebounds

Brand: 281 points 154 rebounds

Sullinger: 635 points 377 rebounds

I'm not talking college statistics, the way they play the game/body type/athleticism, Sullinger reminds me exactly of Sean May. Jared is a spectacular collegiate player and if he does indeed stay next year, he's going to put up some insane numbers. That being said, I see him as Sean May in the pros, the end.

Sullinger isn't Elton Brand, he was a better athlete with freakishly long arms. He made a difference as a shot-blocker, something Sullinger won't do.

He MAY be Sean May, but people are throwing that around like it's more of a stigma than it should be. He had injury problems early in his career, and between microfracture surgery in 2007 and conditioning issues he never really had a chance. Before he got hurt his second year, he was averaging 12-7 in only 24 MPG while shooting 50% from the floor.

I still see no real reason he can't be Carlos Boozer. They have a similar build and Carlos isn't exactly explosive nor particularly quick.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

For whatever reason, I have absolutely no interest in this game. I think it's because I like watching college basketball to see untalented players play their asses off, and I watch the NBA to see the most talented players in the world. These two teams are way too talented for my liking, but not talented enough to keep me entertained, if that makes sense.

Oh, and I really don't like either program for whatever reason. Never been a big UNC fan and Calipari is scum.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)
Sullinger isn't Elton Brand, he was a better athlete with freakishly long arms. He made a difference as a shot-blocker, something Sullinger won't do.

He MAY be Sean May, but people are throwing that around like it's more of a stigma than it should be. He had injury problems early in his career, and between microfracture surgery in 2007 and conditioning issues he never really had a chance. Before he got hurt his second year, he was averaging 12-7 in only 24 MPG while shooting 50% from the floor.

I still see no real reason he can't be Carlos Boozer. They have a similar build and Carlos isn't exactly explosive nor particularly quick.

Being a fat ass basketball player has a tendency to lead to injury problems. Wouldn't shock me at all if Sullinger has them just like May has.

Back on topic though, I think this game should be a great one. UNC down 7 and Henson with 3 fouls already though.

It's tough seeing the biggest scumbag in sports get to another Final 4. UConn better take care of business.

I wonder if Kentucky knows where it's going to store Cal's 3rd vacated Final 4 banner...