Prediction Thread

Guess I'll be the first to post a final four prediction: Duke, Heels, Purdue, Jimmers

ND, Pitt and Florida all going down 2nd round. Belmont over Wiscy(though that's really not an upset imo). No double digit seeds in the sweet 16 which is kind of disappointing.

I have a Big 12 flavored final four and didn't even realize it until I was staring at my picks.

Elite 8:

UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Notre Dame, Texas, UConn, Kansas State, Florida

Final 4:

UNC, KU

Texas, Kansas State

Championship:

Texas vs KU, KU wins again

The lowest seed I have making the Sweet 16 is two Big East #6 seeds in Georgetown and St. Johns. Pretty bland this year.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 09:52 PM)
I have a Big 12 flavored final four and didn't even realize it until I was staring at my picks.

Elite 8:

UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Notre Dame, Texas, UConn, Kansas State, Florida

Final 4:

UNC, KU

Texas, Kansas State

Championship:

Texas vs KU, KU wins again

The lowest seed I have making the Sweet 16 is two Big East #6 seeds in Georgetown and St. Johns. Pretty bland this year.

Big 12 and UNC, HOMER. :P

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 09:02 PM)
If it makes you feel any better my picks are usually horrible. I just can't bring myself to ever pick Duke.

It makes me feel better because we only have 3 of the same e8 picks(UNC, Kansas, KState) and one of the same ff picks.

For some reason, the left side of the bracket seems WAY harder than the right. Ohio State got the toughest draw, but surprisingly no easy stroll for Duke either. Seems like Pittsburgh and Kansas made out the best here, so I have them in the Final Four with Kansas winning it all. Kentucky over UNC in the elite 8, Kentucky over San Diego State in the Final Four, then losing to Kansas in the final. I worry I'll regret not taking UNC and UConn to win their regions. Don't like Duke or Ohio State much at all in either case. I have three 11's winning in the first round (only 6 I took was Georgetown, who I also have beating Purdue). Also took two 13's in Belmont and Oakland. Other than that and two of my Final Four teams, I have a lot of chalk. Kansas has an easy stroll to the elite 8 (although I'm admittedly down on Louisville). Pittsburgh seems to have an easy entire region. I could seriously see the Butler/ODU winner in the Final Four if they upset Pittsburgh for instance. If BYU had got this region with Davies, they'd be my Final Four pick for sure. Although heck, they may have a shot now in that region. I'm pretty sure San Diego State has never won a tournament game too. May live to especially regret that pick.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 11:09 PM)
For some reason, the left side of the bracket seems WAY harder than the right. Ohio State got the toughest draw, but surprisingly no easy stroll for Duke either. Seems like Pittsburgh and Kansas made out the best here, so I have them in the Final Four with Kansas winning it all. Kentucky over UNC in the elite 8, Kentucky over San Diego State in the Final Four, then losing to Kansas in the final. I worry I'll regret not taking UNC and UConn to win their regions. Don't like Duke or Ohio State much at all in either case. I have three 11's winning in the first round (only 6 I took was Georgetown, who I also have beating Purdue). Also took two 13's in Belmont and Oakland. Other than that and two of my Final Four teams, I have a lot of chalk. Kansas has an easy stroll to the elite 8 (although I'm admittedly down on Louisville). Pittsburgh seems to have an easy entire region. I could seriously see the Butler/ODU winner in the Final Four if they upset Pittsburgh for instance. If BYU had got this region with Davies, they'd be my Final Four pick for sure. Although heck, they may have a shot now in that region. I'm pretty sure San Diego State has never won a tournament game too. May live to especially regret that pick.

I like your picks on the 13 seeds. I don't think anybody wanted to be matched up against those teams. Kentucky to the final game? I question that one because of a lack of depth. At some point foul trouble will catch up with them. I'm not a college hoops junkie by any means, so take that into consideration. I'm more of a fan that roots for the laundry.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 04:46 AM)
Kentucky to the final game? I question that one because of a lack of depth. At some point foul trouble will catch up with them. I'm not a college hoops junkie by any means, so take that into consideration. I'm more of a fan that roots for the laundry.

I wouldn't want anything to do with Kentucky in my bracket personally. They might only go 6 deep, but it's a solid 6. They have two lottery-type talents with Knight and Jones and they have a bunch of shooter. It's not like most teams go more than 8 deep, especially with quality, and OSU is similarly built.

I keep switching back and forth between OSU and Kentucky. I think that'll be a REALLY good game and the winner goes to the Final Four.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 04:54 PM)
Defensive basketball is winning basketball. Look at the NBA and which teams are successful this year.

There's a difference between defensive basketball and the boredom of watching the Badgers, badger.

Defensive basketball is winning basketball. Look at the NBA and which teams are successful this year.

Wisconsin isn't winning because of defense this year though. They are winning because they are incredibly efficient on offense due in large part to their insanely good turnover rate and the reason Wisconsin is boring is because they have the slowest tempo in the country this year with only one team being even close to them in how slow they play.

You can point to defensive efficiency and offensive efficiency stats until you are blue in the face, but if you watch Wisconsin play you know 2 things:

1) They are not the 2nd best offense in the country

2) They are not the 60th defense in the country.

I do not know why their pace makes those stats skewed, but it clearly does. There is just no way Wisconsin is the 2nd most efficient offense in the nation, its a team that goes 4-8 minutes without scoring a point, only staying in the game because of their defense.

So once again, you can point at the stats, or I can go by what I have seen.

Slow pace helps defense, the slow pace Wisconsin plays is the equivalent of having a great run game in football. It does not count as a defensive statistic, but it changes how the other team plays. If they know that youll run 35 seconds off the clock or that if they give up a rebound its potentially a minute on defense, they play different on offense.

And I know that most people dont like to watch fundamental basketball, but it wins games. And at the end of the day, I dont think Wisconsin wins as many games as they do right now with any other system.

People are acting as if Ive never seen Wisconsin and am just going based on their reputation, I watch every single minute of every game. This is what my eyes tell me, and they tell me they arent #2 on offense and not #60 on defense.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 04:13 PM)
I wouldn't want anything to do with Kentucky in my bracket personally. They might only go 6 deep, but it's a solid 6. They have two lottery-type talents with Knight and Jones and they have a bunch of shooter. It's not like most teams go more than 8 deep, especially with quality, and OSU is similarly built.

I keep switching back and forth between OSU and Kentucky. I think that'll be a REALLY good game and the winner goes to the Final Four.

I love that Kentucky team too but if Harrellson gets in foul trouble against OSU they're just done. He's literally their only low block player and Sullinger is going to eat anyone else alive down there.

I like defensive basketball, that's the reason I don't like Wisconsin to do anything in this tournament because they're not a good defensive team.

EDIT: And btw, it's not just offensive and defensive efficiency, every stat both offensively and defensively points to the fact that Wiscy is a good offensive team while not being a very good defensive club.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 05:17 PM)
I love that Kentucky team too but if Harrellson gets in foul trouble against OSU they're just done. He's literally their only low block player and Sullinger is going to eat anyone else alive down there.

That's why I changed it. I originally had Kentucky, but in my over-analysis of other things I somehow glossed over that fact. Sullinger is going to draw fouls, and if Jones or Miller has to guard him it's going to get ugly.

Too bad the committee had to put OSU, UNC, Syracuse and Kentucky all in the same bracket. Put any of them in the southeast with Pitt and I'd have them in the Final Four.