Matt Thornton named 2011 Closer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (qwerty @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 05:19 PM)
He only has one pitch and was bad in the chances he had to close. I wouldn't do it.

Wait, you mean having one pitch and dominating the 8th inning won't translate to having one pitch and dominating the 9th? Good move. I'm actually proud of Ozzie here.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 06:35 PM)
Wait, you mean having one pitch and dominating the 8th inning won't translate to having one pitch and dominating the 9th? Good move. I'm actually proud of Ozzie here.

Not that I don't want to see Matt close or anything, but you just described Thornton here too.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 05:44 PM)
Thank you god. Now no reason to not convert Sale back to a SP after the year. Not to mention, I think Thornton will be the 2nd best closer in the AL behind Mariano.

I'll shave my legs and get a Justin Bieber Tattoo if he's better than Soria. Not that he couldn't be. That would just be amazing.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 06:19 PM)
He only has one pitch and was bad in the chances he had to close. I wouldn't do it.

Me too there are much more important times in the 7th or 8th innings where we need Thornton and he has shinned before. Are you really going to save Thornton for the 9th innings when your playing the twins and your protecting a 1 run lead or tie in the 8th inning with runners on base and Mauer, Morneau, or Thome coming up. The game could be on the line right then and there and your not going to go with your best option, but you are going to use him in the hypothetical 9th innings against who knows perhaps their worst 3 hitters. Makes no sense. As we have seen time and time again, anyone with good stuff and control can close games. Those last 3 outs are meaningless 90% of the time. The most important parts are in 7th and 8th innings protecting ties and 1 run games with runners on and their best sluggers up.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 06:53 PM)
I'll shave my legs and get a Justin Bieber Tattoo if he's better than Soria. Not that he couldn't be. That would just be amazing.

What's the criteria?

Keep in mind Thornton has had a better WAR than Soria each of the past 3 seasons. Might want to choose something other than a Bieber tattoo, just in case...

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 09:49 PM)
What's the criteria?

Keep in mind Thornton has had a better WAR than Soria each of the past 3 seasons. Might want to choose something other than a Bieber tattoo, just in case...

Is that because Thornton has been better or because Thornton has pitched in higher leverage situations?

Personally I hope he can step into the role with the ATTITUDE of a closer, but quite frankly, I am not 100% sure he has it. We all know that saving games in the 9th is different than pitching in the 8th, unfortunately, and there is no guarantee we're going to see the same MT out there in the 9th as we have in the 8th for the past few years. I guess I am still hurting from that homer Thome hit off him last year, which would still be flying today if it didn't hit the flag pole in right at Target field.

But nevertheless, he has the stuff to close, no doubt. Does he have the mentality to do it? We'll see, I certainly hope so. If not we have other options but in no way should anyone expect with near certainty we'll see the same MT in the 9th as we have in the 8th for the past several years. It's a different deal closing, for whatever reason, and it always has been. One of the true axioms in baseball is that the hardest 3 outs to get are in the ninth inning in a tight game. Good luck Matt.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 08:58 PM)
Is that because Thornton has been better or because Thornton has pitched in higher leverage situations?

No idea, just something to consider when promising a Justin Bieber tattoo. Though for the past 3 years, Thornton's peripherals are all better or similar so you could say he's been better, albeit in different roles.