Matt Thornton named 2011 Closer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 07:49 PM)
What's the criteria?

Keep in mind Thornton has had a better WAR than Soria each of the past 3 seasons. Might want to choose something other than a Bieber tattoo, just in case...

I don't like WAR when it comes to relievers. Sean Marshall had a higher WAR than Rivera last year. Sample size is too small. I don't even know what the criteria would be. But if he can exceed Soria in his first year as the full-time closer that would be rather awesome.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 08:58 PM)
Is that because Thornton has been better or because Thornton has pitched in higher leverage situations?

WAR only calculates value, so it's because Thornton has been better and/or Thornton has pitched more than Soria.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 12:10 AM)
I don't like WAR when it comes to relievers. Sean Marshall had a higher WAR than Rivera last year. Sample size is too small. I don't even know what the criteria would be. But if he can exceed Soria in his first year as the full-time closer that would be rather awesome.

WPA works too, but as I understand it, that will be skewed upwards towards closers because outs late in the game will increase your odds of winning a game exponentially more than those in the 7th and 8th innings.

Personally, I use some type of combination of WHIP, K/9, WAR, WPA, ERA, and whatever else I feel like. All I know is that Mariano Rivera is the best reliever in the game and, unless someone can think of someone else, the best reliever in the *history* of the game.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 06:53 PM)
I'll shave my legs and get a Justin Bieber Tattoo if he's better than Soria. Not that he couldn't be. That would just be amazing.

I'll pay for the Bieber tattooo if it happens.

I think the bullpen is the biggest obstacle in the Sox winning this division. If Matt can keep doing what he has done the last 3 years, the Sox will be in good shape.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 02:21 AM)
Good choice. Less of an excuse for the Sox next season if they plan on continuing to stifle his progress by putting him back in the bullpen.

Jesus dude, give it up, the White Sox are not going to put Thornton in the rotation, no matter how much you complain about it.

Thornton's easy motion and very fast fastball have given him success. His pitch is straight though and good hitters have hit him ( all star game ). If he could develop another change of speed pitch he could be lethal. I'm sure the pro's have already known this and it is easier said than done. As of now I see him as the best choice. let's play ball!

Edited by since56

QUOTE (since56 @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)
Thornton's easy motion and very fast fastball have given him success. His pitch is straight though and good hitters have hit him ( all star game ). If he could develop another change of speed pitch he could be lethal. I'm sure the pro's have already known this and it is easier said than done. As of now I see him as the best choice. let's play ball!

What do you call his numbers for the last 2+ years!?

Edited by bigruss22

This probably deserves its own thread, but shouldn't the Sox seriously consider sending Chris Sale to the minors to be a starting pitcher?

He's been bad this spring. Bad control. They're talking about him on the radio now, saying he's been down on himself. Wouldn't it be a good thing to send him down and get him 140 innings as a starter, and then have him ready to move into the rotation in 2012? I sure think so.

I know they wanted to have a 3rd lefty to face Minnesota and Cleveland, but most of the division games are after the AS Break. If they need to make a move then, they can do it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)
He's a setup guy yeah, but the question is...what is up with him? Why is he struggling so much?

If this is true, I have to imagine it would play a pretty big role:

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 09:20 AM)
They're talking about him on the radio now, saying he's been down on himself.