Your 2011 starting 3B is...

southsider2k5

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 11:03 AM)
Now can he go 4-for-4 and allow Milledge and Humber to make the team?

Be careful what you wish for. There's a reason why Milledge is on a different team every year.

QUOTE (scotty22hotty @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 06:45 PM)
So does KW just try to dump Teahen now (with eating salary)?

hes the 26th man making 5M...

No

Assume 12 pitchers, which leaves 13 spots for hitters

C - Pierzynski

1B - Konerko

2B - Beckham

3B - Morel

SS - Ramirez

LF - Pierre

CF - Rios

RF - Quentin

DH - Dunn

Castro - C

Vizquel - 2B, 3B, SS

Teahen - 3B, 1B, LF, RF

Milledge - LF, CF, RF

oh, and I have no doubt Williams has been trying to dump Teahen for about 5 months now. It's rather difficult to dump a $5 million player who doesn't play good defense anywhere and doesn't have a good enough bat to justify playing in the outfield, at 1B, or at DH. And teams don't intentionally pay $5 million for bench players unless that is a really, really good bench player.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 03:31 PM)
In the world of baseball anything out of the ordinary is frowned upon as hotdogging it. Ken Griffey Jr, went through the same thing because he wore his hat backwards.

At this point, it's more than just that with Milledge. He got it at first because he was hotdogging and doing so on a veteran team in NYC. Now he's gotten 3 teams to part with him.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
In the world of baseball anything out of the ordinary is frowned upon as hotdogging it. Ken Griffey Jr, went through the same thing because he wore his hat backwards.

I think those that would frown upon removing a hat need to get a life.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)
I think those that would frown upon removing a hat need to get a life.

If Milledge had done that after hitting a homer of Don Drysdale, I promise you that DD would have removed his helmet for him the next pitch he threw to him.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 10:01 AM)
If Milledge had done that after hitting a homer of Don Drysdale, I promise you that DD would have removed his helmet for him the next pitch he threw to him.

Don Drysdale is dead. He pitched in the 1950s. This is 2011. Do a better job at pitching if you don't want opponents to hit home runs.

Seriously, I don't get what the big deal is. It's not like he's rounding the bases yelling and pointing his finger at the pitcher while laughing. And apparently he's not going to stop doing it either, which is fine by me. Maybe it's something personal for him...

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
Don Drysdale is dead. He pitched in the 1950s. This is 2011. Do a better job at pitching if you don't want opponents to hit home runs.

Seriously, I don't get what the big deal is. It's not like he's rounding the bases yelling and pointing his finger at the pitcher while laughing. And apparently he's not going to stop doing it either, which is fine by me. Maybe it's something personal for him...

Yes, Drysdale is dead. That in no way invalidates my point. If you want a living example, Gibson. More recent? Gossage. Yes, things have changed, but I don't think it's for the better. Yet, the injury Tony Conigliaro suffered was horrid. I just wish baseball was played with edge that it used to be instead of guys showboating. Especially, an unaccomplished one like Milledge.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
Yes, Drysdale is dead. That in no way invalidates my point. If you want a living example, Gibson. More recent? Gossage. Yes, things have changed, but I don't think it's for the better. Yet, the injury Tony Conigliaro suffered was horrid. I just wish baseball was played with edge that it used to be instead of guys showboating. Especially, an unaccomplished one like Milledge.

After posting this, I remembered an incident that I fondly remember. That is, Carlton Fisk jumping down Deion Sanders throat for failure to run out a pop up. That's what I'm talking about.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)

Yes but I still don't see how taking your helmet off is showboating. Okay so when someone crosses home plate and points to the sky, is that showboating? How about when the entire team runs out to home plate and jumps up and down after a walk off? I think Jim Thome removed his helmet and threw it right after rounding third when he hit that blast off of Thornton last year in Minnesota. Paulie pumped his fist after the World Series grand slam. All of it could be considered showboating. But Milledge should be criticized for quietly removing his helmet?

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 11:10 AM)
Yes but I still don't see how taking your helmet off is showboating. Okay so when someone crosses home plate and points to the sky, is that showboating? How about when the entire team runs out to home plate and jumps up and down after a walk off? I think Jim Thome removed his helmet and threw it right after rounding third when he hit that blast off of Thornton last year in Minnesota. Paulie pumped his fist after the World Series grand slam. All of it could be considered showboating. But Milledge should be criticized for quietly removing his helmet?

Most of the time when a guy removes his helmet between 3rd and home after a dinger, it's because it was a walk off or he expects to get numerous head after hitting the plate. That's injury prevention, and it is understood throughout the game. As for Paulie, coming up hit a clutch hit in a clutch situation, well it was an appropriate response and the players don't want to take that kind of emotion out of the game. A NRI hitting a HR in spring training and showboating ... that don't fly.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 11:16 AM)
Most of the time when a guy removes his helmet between 3rd and home after a dinger, it's because it was a walk off or he expects to get numerous head after hitting the plate. That's injury prevention, and it is understood throughout the game. As for Paulie, coming up hit a clutch hit in a clutch situation, well it was an appropriate response and the players don't want to take that kind of emotion out of the game. A NRI hitting a HR in spring training and showboating ... that don't fly.

Soooo taking your helmet off (and throwing it) is to prevent injury? Riiiight.

I still don't see how taking your helmet off like Milledge does is showboating. WTF is the difference between that and a high five at home plate? I think it's just something for people to nit pick with him for whatever reason. These guys aren't robots and this isn't the 50s. Let the guy have some space.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
Realistically, Milledge knows the consequences of his actions. Even with today's pitchers, you're going to get it high and tight next time up. If the kid wants to do his think at the risk of getting plunked the next time up, I say let him. Maybe he'll learn something.

I think the biggest part of the problem is that there's been very little sign he knows the consequences of his actions.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 12:30 PM)
I think the biggest part of the problem is that there's been very little sign he knows the consequences of his actions.

And I agree. The dude has been a journeyman when he was once a prime prospect. He says that they aren't going to take that away from him, but they just might ... when he can't find a job in baseball.

I hate to do this, but I think color plays a factor here. Now, I'm not accusing anyone here of this, but over time you happen to notice a pattern. When a young white player does these acts that have been referred to as showboating, people describe him as "passionate". When a young black player does them, he's called "cocky" or "arrogant" and accused of showboating. Would we really be having this same discussion if the player taking his helmet off after rounding third was Gordon Beckham? I seriously doubt it.

Personally, I think people getting worked up over Milledge taking his helmet off is ridiculous. Why don't we want our players to have a little bit of style and attitude to them? It's not like he's trying to be an asshole and rub it in the pitcher's face. It's just something he does. If the pitcher wants to be overly sensitive and take exception to him, that's his choice. I just don't see why any fan would actually be bothered by this.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 12:50 PM)
I hate to do this, but I think color plays a factor here. Now, I'm not accusing anyone here of this, but over time you happen to notice a pattern. When a young white player does these acts that have been referred to as showboating, people describe him as "passionate". When a young black player does them, he's called "cocky" or "arrogant" and accused of showboating. Would we really be having this same discussion if the player taking his helmet off after rounding third was Gordon Beckham? I seriously doubt it.

Personally, I think people getting worked up over Milledge taking his helmet off is ridiculous. Why don't we want our players to have a little bit of style and attitude to them? It's not like he's trying to be an asshole and rub it in the pitcher's face. It's just something he does. If the pitcher wants to be overly sensitive and take exception to him, that's his choice. I just don't see why any fan would actually be bothered by this.

If we were in a bar, I'd buy you a beer. Well said.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 12:50 PM)

Can you provide some kind of evidence of this?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 11:50 AM)

Playing the Race Card for such an insignificant act is a bit over the top. The game has changed, and that includes pitchers who go into purposeful histrionics when they strike out a hitter.