Peavy had rotator cuff tendinitis

Heads22

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 10, 2011 -> 05:25 AM)
White Sox to go with 6man rotation (Peavy on Wednesday, Humber on Friday) for the rest of the week, and then evaluate.

Humber's the one guy not "proven."

Shouldn't Humber go to relief? Just saying.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 10, 2011 -> 01:23 AM)

The reason why they are doing it this week, is that Gavin still complaining about his ankle after he was hit by a baseball following Ichiro's hit.

Here is a read.

I'm sure it goes 5man and Humber as the longman bullpen guy soon tho.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 10, 2011 -> 03:23 AM)

Who cares how proven he has been prior to this year? He's been our best starter, you can't stick your best starter in the pen because he hasn't been good enough before this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 10, 2011 -> 07:55 AM)
Who cares how proven he has been prior to this year? He's been our best starter, you can't stick your best starter in the pen because he hasn't been good enough before this year.

Here are how two players have debuted for their new teams over the previous 2 seasons.

Player A - 7 GS, 46 IP, 2.54 ERA, 0.93 WHIP, 7.2 K/9, 1.6 BB/9

Player B - 6 GS (8 G), 39.1 IP, 2.97 ERA, 0.94 WHIP, 5.7 K/9 2.5 BB/9

It's very much worth mentioning.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 10, 2011 -> 09:17 AM)
Here are how two players have debuted for their new teams over the previous 2 seasons.

Player A - 7 GS, 46 IP, 2.54 ERA, 0.93 WHIP, 7.2 K/9, 1.6 BB/9

Player B - 6 GS (8 G), 39.1 IP, 2.97 ERA, 0.94 WHIP, 5.7 K/9 2.5 BB/9

It's very much worth mentioning.

And they didn't pull player 1 out of the rotation until he started struggling.

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ May 9, 2011 -> 06:37 PM)
I'm actually excited about Peavy's return; no way I am missing that start!

Yeah, of course we all are... I pray we finally see that ace we were hoping for two years ago.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 10, 2011 -> 09:04 AM)
And they didn't pull player 1 out of the rotation until he started struggling.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2011 -> 09:06 AM)
They also didn't have Jake Peavy coming back.

SWING AND A LONG ONE TO LEFT...

QUOTE (docsox24 @ May 10, 2011 -> 10:06 AM)
At this point I have far more confidence in Humber than Peavy

With regards to his durability and actually making it through a season, sure. Jake Peavy has proven that he is 100 times the pitcher Phil Humber is. I don't care that Humber has looked good for a stretch of 40 innings because I can find countless examples of guys who have done that. It's a lot harder to find guys who have the resume that Jake Peavy does.

When push comes to shove, Jake Peavy has to be in the rotation and if Phil Humber is the odd man out, then so be it. At that point, we would just have to hope that Ozzie wouldn't let him waste away pitching garbage innings because he's proven that he needs to atleast be given an opportunity to throw meaningful innings in whatever role he is in.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 10, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)

You have to stick your best starter in the pen when the other five are named Floyd, Danks, Buehrle, Peavy and Jackson.

I'd be OK with putting Jackson in the pen but everybody says he makes too much money for that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 10, 2011 -> 11:59 AM)
With regards to his durability and actually making it through a season, sure. Jake Peavy has proven that he is 100 times the pitcher Phil Humber is. I don't care that Humber has looked good for a stretch of 40 innings because I can find countless examples of guys who have done that. It's a lot harder to find guys who have the resume that Jake Peavy does.

When push comes to shove, Jake Peavy has to be in the rotation and if Phil Humber is the odd man out, then so be it. At that point, we would just have to hope that Ozzie wouldn't let him waste away pitching garbage innings because he's proven that he needs to atleast be given an opportunity to throw meaningful innings in whatever role he is in.

+1. Good stuff.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 10, 2011 -> 03:15 PM)
You have to stick your best starter in the pen when the other five are named Floyd, Danks, Buehrle, Peavy and Jackson.

I'd be OK with putting Jackson in the pen but everybody says he makes too much money for that.

Why not stick with a 6 man rotation until it stops working. Does it sound just as ridiculous to have an overpaid mental midget start because he's making all of that money? You never know he could be the light outs closer that is needed instead of the other one that has blown 5? saves and only throws hard?

Do we throw out logic, tradition and economics at the expense of winning?

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 10, 2011 -> 09:06 PM)
Why not stick with a 6 man rotation until it stops working. Does it sound just as ridiculous to have an overpaid mental midget start because he's making all of that money? You never know he could be the light outs closer that is needed instead of the other one that has blown 5? saves and only throws hard?

Do we throw out logic, tradition and economics at the expense of winning?

You and I agree here. Try the 6 out until someone pitches their way out of it. What we really need to make that work is a lot of 7 ip starts.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 8, 2011 -> 12:30 PM)
I like the 6-man rotation for the rest of the month. They only have this coming Thursday off, and supposedly pitchers do better on 5 days rest, so why not?

Buehrle- Sea, Oak, LA, Tor

Jackson- LAA, Tex, LA, Tor

Danks- LAA, Tex, Tex, Tor

Peavy- LAA, Cle, Tex, Bos

Humber- Oak, Cle, Tex, Bos

Floyd- Oak, LA, Tor, Bos

Then they can figure out what they want to do. Chances are the person to take out of the rotation will answer itself by then.

I'll quote myself, because this is what the Sox are going to do, according to Mark Gonzales. They will go with a 6-man through June 1. So....I rule.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ May 11, 2011 -> 02:40 AM)
I'll quote myself, because this is what the Sox are going to do, according to Mark Gonzales. They will go with a 6-man through June 1. So....I rule.

I tell you, that's just a stupid organizational decision.

Humber has done great, but he's odd man out and should be in relief til Jake gets hurt again.

I'll tell you what's going to happen. The starters will start to suck now. Why? Cause "that's the way we fly."

This will screw them up because something always screws us up (aside from 2005)

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 10, 2011 -> 08:58 PM)
Outside of winning the CY Young, his resume does not spell "ace" in my book.

From 2004 to 2009, a time frame covering 166 starts and 1070 IP, Jake Peavy put up an ERA of 2.99 and an ERA+ of 131. John Danks, a guy a few people consider to be an ace or just short of an ace, has put that an ERA+ that good once in a season - 2008 when he was at 138 - and he is at 124 for his career.

It may not be an ace in the vein of Roy Halladay or Tim Lincecum, but it's pretty damn good and is probably good as one of the best 15 pitchers in the league.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 11, 2011 -> 02:49 AM)
From 2004 to 2009, a time frame covering 166 starts and 1070 IP, Jake Peavy put up an ERA of 2.99 and an ERA+ of 131. John Danks, a guy a few people consider to be an ace or just short of an ace, has put that an ERA+ that good once in a season - 2008 when he was at 138 - and he is at 124 for his career.

It may not be an ace in the vein of Roy Halladay or Tim Lincecum, but it's pretty damn good and is probably good as one of the best 15 pitchers in the league.

There's 2 problems with that timespan that aren't hit by how you presented the data.

1. During that stretch, he averaged 178 IP a season. While that's good, that also means a fair number of DL stints and a limited number of 200+ inning seasons.

2. There's some inconsistency, probably built into injuries, in there. He has 3 seasons with an OPS+ over 200 in there, for his OPS+ average to be 131, there have to be some close to average pitchers in there.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 10, 2011 -> 11:19 PM)

Humber has done great, but he's odd man out and should be in relief til Jake gets hurt again.

I'll tell you what's going to happen. The starters will start to suck now. Why? Cause "that's the way we fly."

If the pitchers can't adjust to a new rotation, than do they really have any business winning anyways?

I swear, baseball players will find any excuse for their poor performance, but in reality it's all up to them.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 11, 2011 -> 09:41 AM)
If the pitchers can't adjust to a new rotation, than do they really have any business winning anyways?

I swear, baseball players will find any excuse for their poor performance, but in reality it's all up to them.

Just about everyone in that rotation has been better on extra rest over the past season or two, and right now it seems like G! is hurting a bit anyway.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 10, 2011 -> 11:19 PM)

Nobody on the team is a tough out; same s*** every year. Long HR swings are Kenny's type of player. High K's be damned.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 11, 2011 -> 10:57 AM)
Nobody on the team is a tough out; same s*** every year. Long HR swings are Kenny's type of player. High K's be damned.

The 2010 white sox had the 2nd fewest strikeouts in the AL. The 2011 White Sox have the 3rd fewest strikeouts in the AL.