Peavy had rotator cuff tendinitis

Heads22

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 06:10 PM)
You and I are worlds apart - enjoy the season Jordan - there's no use in me reading your posts from here on out =P

*edit - this ignore feature is pretty cool, I suggest it's use to all members of this board. ( should you ever find something repeatedly annoying. )*

Hey. How do you use the ignore feature? I want to activate it for EXACTLY the same reason as you. That act is so tired...

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 05:14 PM)
Wait, what? The first game of the playoffs? Is there something I'm not getting here?

Yeah, that first part of the sentence. Hopefully he'll be strong for the rest of the season i.e. he'll pitch well, and then we'll reach the goal of him opening the playoffs for us i.e. the Sox will be in the playoffs.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 05:10 PM)
You and I are worlds apart - enjoy the season Jordan - there's no use in me reading your posts from here on out =P

*edit - this ignore feature is pretty cool, I suggest it's use to all members of this board. ( should you ever find something repeatedly annoying. )*

That's your right. Have fun with that. I'll never not express my views and thoughts due to the possibility of somebody putting me on ignore. I find blind homerism every bit as annoying as you do me and my 'negatism.' I know that's not a word.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 05:10 PM)
I feel like you have become the exact opposite. You'll search out the best of our competition and believe that, while assuming the worst for us. Almost like some sort of bizarre overcompensation so that no one can ever call you a homer and you can remain some kind of superior fan/purist or something. It sucks all the joy out of anything to do with the team, because no matter what, the conversation instantly goes negative. I don't get what the fun of following or coming here when every single conversation is how something is going to fail. Why even bother with it if that is really how you feel? I know if I get pissy about the team or game, I just turn it off and walk away.

That's your misconception. You're not anymore a fan or dedicated to the Sox than I am. You're the ultimate optimist. I've evolved into a pessimist. That's fine with me. This franchise has gone backwards since '05 and I have no problem with voicing my opinions. I give credit to the Sox where I feel it's due. I went nuts, in a good way, when we signed Dunn. Pull up the thread if you think I'm lying. Shouldn't be too hard to find. But I'm not going to be a blind homer to every single move the team makes. How are you gonna tell me I should turn the TV off and not watch any games because I'm not a Hawk Harrelson clone? That's bulls***.

I'm getting really sick of Jake Peavy's bulls***. Not the fact that he's always hurt - the fact that he thinks he's the toughest man on the face of the Earth and that he'll pitch through anything. When you're hurt, f***ing say something, and stop throwing. Stop the whole macho man routine - it's getting old and it's not helping you or the team.

We didn't need you for opening day - and that was a long shot anyway. Not for one minute did I think he'd be ready for the start of the season - nor should he have even tried, really. This is the result.

The Sox are giving you all the time you need to get healthy. It's not their fault you've got this problem now, it's yours. Peavy is being selfish here - he's not putting himself in the best position to help the White Sox.

Ozzie's comments are pretty telling. Now Peavy has to start from square one? Way to help everything out, Jake.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 06:41 PM)
That's your right. Have fun with that. I'll never not express my views and thoughts due to the possibility of somebody putting me on ignore. I find blind homerism every bit as annoying as you do me and my 'negatism.' I know that's not a word.

That's your misconception. You're not anymore a fan or dedicated to the Sox than I am. You're the ultimate optimist. I've evolved into a pessimist. That's fine with me. This franchise has gone backwards since '05 and I have no problem with voicing my opinions. I give credit to the Sox where I feel it's due. I went nuts, in a good way, when we signed Dunn. Pull up the thread if you think I'm lying. Shouldn't be too hard to find. But I'm not going to be a blind homer to every single move the team makes. How are you gonna tell me I should turn the TV off and not watch any games because I'm not a Hawk Harrelson clone? That's bulls***.

I never said I was a better fan. All I said was I can't understand wanting to find the negative in everything. Even when something is going well, you are there to piss on the parade. Instead of being a blind homer, you are pretty much what you think I am, except 180 degrees. You have become a blind hater. Instead of Hawk, you are a Jay Mariotti clone.

Like I said, I don't get what the attraction that mentality is. I don't expect everything to go well, but I sure as hell hope it will. If I expected failure and was that upset about it all of the time, I wouldn't waste my time on the team. There are way better things I could be doing than waiting for failure. I know none of this is going to change anything, but it is how I feel, and it doesn't seem like I am alone in it.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 07:59 PM)
That's fine with me. I'll be the new devil of the board. I'm NOT being mean or whatever, but I don't give a s*** what Humber has done this spring or what he's added. He's hippos***. If this were the Cubs, we'd all be laughing. But since it's the Sox there's some kinda fake hope that he can be good. That won't work on me. If I turn out to be wrong, so be it. But the odds that I'm wrong are pretty low. Like really low.

Not that you're necessarily wrong about the bolded, but that example doesn't exactly ooze rationality either. We all search for reasons to laugh at the Cubs. As usual, the truth is probably somewhere in between, i.e. the Humber signing is neutral.

/pileon

Apparently, Coop liked Peavy's explosive arm more than Buehrle's or Danks or anyone else on the staff. I like that, until that explosiveness blew up his arm.

Honestly, I think the sox are going to wait until Peavy's 100%, then wait another 2 months after that to make sure he is.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 05:32 PM)
The Yankees also have a farm system and cash to go out and upgrade if they really need to. We don't.

Not much question that they WILL need to upgrade, IMO. That starting rotation is a joke for a team with a $200M+ payroll.

I see them adding two high-priced pitchers by the deadline to try and salvage their season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 05:53 PM)
I never said I was a better fan. All I said was I can't understand wanting to find the negative in everything. Even when something is going well, you are there to piss on the parade. Instead of being a blind homer, you are pretty much what you think I am, except 180 degrees. You have become a blind hater. Instead of Hawk, you are a Jay Mariotti clone.

Like I said, I don't get what the attraction that mentality is. I don't expect everything to go well, but I sure as hell hope it will. If I expected failure and was that upset about it all of the time, I wouldn't waste my time on the team. There are way better things I could be doing than waiting for failure. I know none of this is going to change anything, but it is how I feel, and it doesn't seem like I am alone in it.

Well said.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 11:35 PM)
Hey. How do you use the ignore feature? I want to activate it for EXACTLY the same reason as you. That act is so tired...

You go into a users profile and within that area is an ignore feature.

Look for something like this: https://skitch.com/trevorcaesar/rih34/whtso...viewing-profile

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 06:51 PM)
I'm getting really sick of Jake Peavy's bulls***. Not the fact that he's always hurt - the fact that he thinks he's the toughest man on the face of the Earth and that he'll pitch through anything. When you're hurt, f***ing say something, and stop throwing. Stop the whole macho man routine - it's getting old and it's not helping you or the team.

We didn't need you for opening day - and that was a long shot anyway. Not for one minute did I think he'd be ready for the start of the season - nor should he have even tried, really. This is the result.

The Sox are giving you all the time you need to get healthy. It's not their fault you've got this problem now, it's yours. Peavy is being selfish here - he's not putting himself in the best position to help the White Sox.

Ozzie's comments are pretty telling. Now Peavy has to start from square one? Way to help everything out, Jake.

You, sir, are evil and you're obsessed with genocide. KW and Coop, two guys that would never lie, said Jake is just fine and expected this all along. Ignore you go.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 08:56 PM)
You, sir, are evil and you're obsessed with genocide. KW and Coop, two guys that would never lie, said Jake is just fine and expected this all along. Ignore you go.

At least you're taking the high road.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 02:13 AM)
Ozzie thinks he'll be back at the end of April.

Nice - some actual information that is founded in reason! Let the productive discussion continue. :)

PEORIA, Ariz. -- Jake Peavy wanted to make one point perfectly clear on Monday night before the White Sox contest with the Padres.

Yes, the intense competitor that is Peavy wants to take the ball every five days, and of course, he wants to do anything possible to help the White Sox win the American League Central and move a few postseason steps beyond. Peavy also wanted to stay on schedule to break camp as the team's fifth starter, completing his remarkable comeback from experimental surgery on July 14 to reattach the tendon that anchors the latissimus dorsi muscle to the rear of Peavy's shoulder

But while Peavy realizes the final call involves his input, it ultimately comes from White Sox general manager Ken Williams, manager Ozzie Guillen, pitching coach Don Cooper, head athletic trainer Herm Schneider and the team's medical staff. So reports of Peavy convincing Guillen or even begging the manager to let him pitch through shoulder discomfort on Saturday against the A's, after Peavy had been crushed all week by the flu and missed work between starts, were a bit overblown, in the hurler's opinion.

"Ozzie and the staff have had complete control from the start," Peavy said. "I didn't beg, I didn't ask. I let those guys make the decision -- Coop, Herm and Ozzie.

"They obviously know I wanted to pitch and stay on schedule. They've known that from Day 1. I certainly didn't, as it was portrayed in certain situations, try to beg to get out there. I told them I'd do whatever they wanted me to do as a staff

News of this Peavy shoulder discomfort, labeled as rotator cuff tendinitis, took Guillen a bit by surprise when he read Monday how the pain started with Peavy's first Cactus League start against the Angels on March 4 and built up from there. Yet, Guillen didn't show any anger toward Peavy concerning his push to stay on track for the regular season.

Guillen's Sunday quote about Peavy pitching again when he tells him he'll pitch might have sounded like a bit of displeasure toward the rehabbing hurler. But with a smile, Guillen pointed out how it's easy to tell when he's angry because he curses.

There were no R-rated words used by Guillen when talking about Peavy Sunday or Monday. It was just a protective instinct shown by a manager toward a player coming back from major surgery.

"If I was mad at Peavy, I will call him," Guillen said. "I did it before. Not to him but to a lot of players. I was very excited because he pitched for us. He had work to do.

"I was not demanding that while he was on the mound, I'm the boss. I don't treat any of the players, anybody, like I'm the boss. I just say it's my job to make the decision when somebody is out there. If I have some problem with anyone, I will tell him to his face. But I don't have a problem with anybody.

"It's just protecting [White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf's] money, Kenny's move and my integrity in the game," Guillen said. "And protecting him. That's the most important thing. I'm protecting him more than anybody in baseball. It's all about him, it's not about us."

One piece of good news presented Monday by Peavy centered on that nasty week-long flu bug seemingly running its course. An update concerning Peavy's right shoulder held a bit more uncertainty.

Peavy's plan for Monday was to get a couple hours of solid treatment on the expected blip plaguing his comeback. He already has started on a course of anti-inflammatory medication, and was examined Sunday by White Sox team doctor Charles Bush-Joseph.

Dr. Anthony A. Romeo, who performed the July surgery on Peavy, will check out the hurler in Arizona on Wednesday, with Peavy interested to get Romeo's take since the doctor knows his shoulder "inside and out."

Basically, Peavy will be out of action for 48 hours and will be replaced by Philip Humber for Thursday afternoon's start against the Cubs at HoHoKam Park in Mesa, Ariz. There's no timetable for Peavy's return, although Guillen guessed Peavy would miss three or four regular-season starts and return some time in the second half of April.

In talking about his strong desire to take the mound and work through what he believed were manageable problems, Peavy admitted a certain level of smartness is needed to know when to pull back. He took some heat in 2010 when pitching through shoulder inflammation and throwing a shutout against the Nationals on June 19, after skipping a start against the Pirates on that same Interleague road trip, and then suffering the lat injury 2 1/2 weeks later.

"As a competitor, you want to play, you want to pitch. At the same time, you got to be smart and mindful and make good decisions," Peavy said. "I'm certainly going to try to do a better job than I did last year.

"When I do go out and pitch and get on a Major League field, I'm going to be healthy and not go out anymore like I have for the past two years and piece it together and get through. It's not fair to myself or the team, certainly not the guy the White Sox thought they were trading for.

"So I want to get healthy and do my thing, but I'm going to be smart. But I've been honest with you guys and those guys ever since I walked into camp, and they got complete control of the situation from Ozzie to Herm to Coop, and those guys make the decision that every process and step I've taken. I've put my input in, and that's that."

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 10:21 PM)
"Ozzie and the staff have had complete control from the start," Peavy said. "I didn't beg, I didn't ask. I let those guys make the decision -- Coop, Herm and Ozzie.

"They obviously know I wanted to pitch and stay on schedule. They've known that from Day 1. I certainly didn't, as it was portrayed in certain situations, try to beg to get out there. I told them I'd do whatever they wanted me to do as a staff

"As a competitor, you want to play, you want to pitch. At the same time, you got to be smart and mindful and make good decisions," Peavy said. "I'm certainly going to try to do a better job than I did last year.

"When I do go out and pitch and get on a Major League field, I'm going to be healthy and not go out anymore like I have for the past two years and piece it together and get through. It's not fair to myself or the team, certainly not the guy the White Sox thought they were trading for.

"So I want to get healthy and do my thing, but I'm going to be smart. But I've been honest with you guys and those guys ever since I walked into camp, and they got complete control of the situation from Ozzie to Herm to Coop, and those guys make the decision that every process and step I've taken. I've put my input in, and that's that."

Isolated Peavy's quotes.

Sorry Peavy, but I'm calling bulls***. You didn't say anything until now. The only one that knows that you are hurting is you, plain and simple. Please stop trying to put the blame on Kenny/Ozzie/Coop.

He's saying the right things about being smart, he's just not following his own words.