Peavy had rotator cuff tendinitis

Heads22

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)
Yes, the Hudson trade will probably hurt in the long run. But Clayton Richard is a back-of-the-rotation innings eater in the AL. Not bad, but nothing to be worried about.

The reason people are annoyed with the Peavy trade isn't the stuff that was given up, it's taking on Jake's contract.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 10:29 AM)
The reason people are annoyed with the Peavy trade isn't the stuff that was given up, it's taking on Jake's contract.

Regardless, a vast majority of the posters on this board were ecstatic when we acquired Peavy.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 12:09 PM)
Regardless, a vast majority of the posters on this board were ecstatic when we acquired Peavy.

And if either Jake pitches up to his contract or there's an insurance policy on Jake's contract covering portions where he's on the DL long term, those ecstatic posters would continue to be correct.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 01:05 AM)
+1.

There is no question that each and every time Jake pitched and side sessioned this spring all the docs, KW Ozzie and Coop sat down with him and and they checked him out. The idea that Jake was out there on his own keeping secrets is idiotic. There was always a ton of dialogue about just how he was feeling and how much to work out between starts. Nobody knew quite what to do and they admitted that they shouldn't have worked him out so hard on off days rehabbing the first couple weeks. Then they scaled that program back. There was no way to anticipate what that setback was going to be, but there has ALWAYS been an understanding that it was coming. So, the setback is here. BFD. He steps down for a few weeks and ramps it back up when he's ready. He's pitched pretty damn well all spring and once they get a handle on this soreness he's gonna be fine. Why people are so unstable about all this is just bizarre.

I'm guessing it's because he's been a member of this team since 2009 and he hasn't been healthy since then. I know I'm rather upset about that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)
And if either Jake pitches up to his contract or there's an insurance policy on Jake's contract covering portions where he's on the DL long term, those ecstatic posters would continue to be correct.

Those insurance policies are almost prohibitive cost wise these days because of past history of insuring athletes ... especially pitchers. So do you pay insurance premiums or sign players? That could be a tough call.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 10:17 AM)

Having an insurance policy will do little to cheer me up as a fan this season. That is, unless they use that money during the year to pick up another piece to help us. I'm watching this season with expectations that the team will do something of note, not whether or not they make back the money they invested in the team.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 05:59 PM)
That's fine with me. I'll be the new devil of the board. I'm NOT being mean or whatever, but I don't give a s*** what Humber has done this spring or what he's added. He's hippos***. If this were the Cubs, we'd all be laughing. But since it's the Sox there's some kinda fake hope that he can be good. That won't work on me. If I turn out to be wrong, so be it. But the odds that I'm wrong are pretty low. Like really low.

You wanted the GM of the NBA Eastern Conference's first place team fired because he didn't acquire OJ Mayo at the trade deadline. Sometimes your passion takes you to crazy town.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 11:09 AM)

People flip easily. A month prior Peavy rejected a deal to come to the White Sox and was one of the most hated players in White Sox fandom history.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 07:47 AM)
"I'm certainly not the guy the Sox thought they were trading for," ....

This is why I'm not mad or disappointed with the guy. I think he feels guilty that he hasn't been able health-wise to live up to his end of the bargain and he's pushing himself. I respect him, especially in this day and age. I don't care if he's not ready until May or even early June, as long as he's 100%. Then lets see what he can do.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
I'm guessing it's because he's been a member of this team since 2009 and he hasn't been healthy since then. I know I'm rather upset about that.

He was acquired at the trade deadline in '09 already hurt. Not sure how you could have expected anything from him that year.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 06:20 PM)
Peavy will be limited to 60 pitches going into May. Might as well write him off until at least June.

I hope they go even slower with him. If he isn't back until July, but then can stay in the rotation, that's fine with me.

Wow this certainly changes my expectations of the team.

Edwin Jackson, come on down. You must be dominant.

Mark Buehrle, you got to be ultra consistent every night or 8 out of 9 for 7 innings.

Danks/Floyd, you 2 must take the next step and be very very good.

No. 5 starter: Call me crazy; I prefer it be Pena.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 02:43 PM)
Nothing says optimal value like a 60 pitch limit by your $16-17 million dollar a year pitcher going into the second month of the season. Peavy won't sniff the White Sox roster until June at the absolute earliest.

It's really going to be fun bumping this thread if Jake comes back and throws a shutout in late April/early May.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
It's really going to be fun bumping this thread if Jake comes back and throws a shutout in late April/early May.

One step closer: After throwing today, Peavy says he feels drastically better and is encouraged. Could throw a bit more tomorrow .#whitesox

The guy is gonna be fine and contribute a ton to this year's team. But people love a good angry panic so I say "knock yourself out."

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Jake Peavy played catch on Tuesday and said he is encouraged about the way his right rotator cuff has responded to treatment.

"I felt quite a bit better than I did a few days ago," Peavy said, "so I was excited that things are certainly calming down.

"To see it in just a couple days make a drastic improvement is very encouraging.''

Peavy said he plans to play catch on Wednesday, including stretching it out with long toss and "push it as far as we can without pushing it.''

A day after throwing 83 pitches in his fourth start on Sunday and looking like a near sure-thing to make the opening-day roster, Peavy revealed that he had tendinitis in the rotator cuff. He took anti-inflammatories and treatment

"When I take the mound I will be as healthy as I can possibly be. Don't know that means and not making any predictions about what will happen but I will go out there 100 percent healthy.''

Peavy said he'll play catch today as long as he feels well enough. He expects that to be the case.