Peavy had rotator cuff tendinitis

Heads22

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
Nothing says optimal value like a 60 pitch limit by your $16-17 million dollar a year pitcher going into the second month of the season. Peavy won't sniff the White Sox roster until June at the absolute earliest.

Dude seriosuly, you really are like that crazy guy in the picture someone posted a while back. "June at the absolute earliest"? Come back to earth, man.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 02:12 PM)
Dude seriosuly, you really are like that crazy guy in the picture someone posted a while back. "June at the absolute earliest"? Come back to earth, man.

Late April/Early May IMO.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
Nothing says optimal value like a 60 pitch limit by your $16-17 million dollar a year pitcher going into the second month of the season. Peavy won't sniff the White Sox roster until June at the absolute earliest.

So wait, are you worried at all? You need to further clarify your stance.

I'd put my money on pitching by May 1, just as was expected all along.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 01:13 PM)
Ok, so that's just what his surgeon is guessing his body will be able to handle. That's a totally different thing from the team coming out and saying "60 pitch limit through May 1".

This is the surgeon talking without seeing him or testing him either. This is also the same surgeon who said he would be out for a year after the surgery. He is an excellent surgeon but he also doesn't have the experience with the day to day rehab of the shoulder. Peavy will progress faster than that and he will be throwing more than 60 pitches in May. Peavy threw 60 pitches two weeks ago without much problem. If he stays at 60 for another month that means his strength hasn't improved in almost 6 weeks. This will show a significant problem.

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)
Is it possible that his aches on Sunday were more flu related than pitching related?

Why are we evaluating a guy while he's sick?

It wasn't so much that the muscles were aching from the flu. It was more that because of the flu he hadn't throw in a week and the muscles were weak and that not being able to hold down solid food for a few days his whole body was weak. Not a good recipe for a continued progressing rehab and strengthening program.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 06:47 PM)
One step closer: After throwing today, Peavy says he feels drastically better and is encouraged. Could throw a bit more tomorrow .#whitesox

:headbang

The crazy variance in reporting is making my head spin. I give up. He pitches when he pitches, and he still has plenty of time to pitch well and remove the "bust" label people are hanging on him. If he pitches late and we go deep into the playoffs, he was officially a good signing. Just wait and see, I suppose.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
It's really going to be fun bumping this thread if Jake comes back and throws a shutout in late April/early May.

It's really going to be fun bumping this post when he doesn't.

Jake Harden or Rich Peavy?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 12:45 PM)
It wasn't so much that the muscles were aching from the flu. It was more that because of the flu he hadn't throw in a week and the muscles were weak and that not being able to hold down solid food for a few days his whole body was weak. Not a good recipe for a continued progressing rehab and strengthening program.

But his shoulder has been sore since his first outing, and every outing since. Wouldn't that point to a bigger problem?

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 03:53 PM)
But his shoulder has been sore since his first outing, and every outing since. Wouldn't that point to a bigger problem?

not really. He hadn't thrown in games in quite a while so it's expected that he was more sore. I base this mostly on the fact that he was throwing with good control and velocity. It wasn't until the start where he was sick that everything really dropped. In hindsight it was too much but until that point there was nothing really to point to that said, they needed to back off because the shoulder strength couldn't handle it. They'll go back to a decreased number of pitches and slowly build it up again just like any pitcher with a rotator cuff tendonitis.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 03:53 PM)

Take 6 months off from physical activity and then do 300 squats, let me know how that feels the next day.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 06:19 PM)
Really, no. It's like that in the sense that it's 1/1000th of it.

I see some similarity in that nobody really knows what's going on, yet there is a new report every few minutes, all of it speculative.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)
I see some similarity in that nobody really knows what's going on, yet there is a new report every few minutes, all of it speculative.

One is medical where no one truly knows. The other was a made up drama purposely arranged for publicity and money.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 05:39 PM)
One is medical where no one truly knows. The other was a made up drama purposely arranged for publicity and money.

One involves a few local reporters on a single team. The other got more debate than bombing Libya.