Libya Poll

NorthSideSox72

How do you feel about the US military action in Libya?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the course the US has taken thus far?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What action would you have preferred we take?

• Do nothing
    • Diplomatic and economic actions only
    • Air and support only military ops, as is happening now
    • Full-on invasion
    • Other - specify

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 06:53 PM)
If we cut the Defense budget Id be the first one in line to agree.

But since we are spending the money anyways, we might as well do some good with it.

You say that as though we're not going to have to spend extra money because of this campaign, which is of course, wrong.

Actually its entirely unproven. Until Obama asks Congress for additional funds to cover the cost of Libya, wouldnt the expenditures be entirely within the already established budget?

You may be right that we will have to spend more money, but it hasnt happened yet, and may never happen.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 06:17 PM)
Actually its entirely unproven. Until Obama asks Congress for additional funds to cover the cost of Libya, wouldnt the expenditures be entirely within the already established budget?

You may be right that we will have to spend more money, but it hasnt happened yet, and may never happen.

When did Congress pass a budget? :lol:

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 05:57 PM)
You say that as though we're not going to have to spend extra money because of this campaign, which is of course, wrong.

i bet we've already used over $100 million worth of high tech explosive devices.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 06:24 PM)
Why do you guys hate the innocent civilians in Congo and Yemen? Where is your outrage to have the US help them?

As ive said numerous times, I do not get into moral equivalences argument. Just because you did something one time, does not mean that you are precluded from acting a different way the next time, no more than it forces you to act the same way.

Yemen and Congo are different situations, and even if they were the exact same situation as Libya, we cant help everyone. That is just the sad reality of our existence. I cant give money to every charity, I cant give to every homeless person, but because I cant give them all something, does not mean that I shoudlnt give what I can.

Whether it be luck, fate, destiny or whatever else you want to call it, some people are going to get help when others do not. But I dont accept that because I cant help everyone, I shouldnt help anyone, that is unacceptable to me.

Now further to the point neither the Congo nor Yemen have asked for UN assistance. The day that they do, we may have a different discussion.

i bet we've already used over $100 million worth of high tech explosive devices.

But those are explosives that we have already paid for, there is no evidence that they would be used otherwise, and so far no one has provided any evidence that we are actually replacing every singe weapon we use with the exact same make and model. Almost all weapons become obsolete, Id rather that we use them for a good cause.

Im willing to concede that money will be spent on this campaign, but you cant put a price on saving people from execution.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 09:19 PM)
But those are explosives that we have already paid for, there is no evidence that they would be used otherwise, and so far no one has provided any evidence that we are actually replacing every singe weapon we use with the exact same make and model. Almost all weapons become obsolete, Id rather that we use them for a good cause.

Yeah. We replace them with the next model, which is 3x more expensive.