Pierzynski vs. Flowers

striker

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
I was under the impression that the pitching staff loved AJ and that his game calling was widely respected despite sub-par "defensive" metrics ... given the fact that we have some borderline starters in the 3, 4 (EJaxx, Gavin) spot and MB is getting on in years, think his value is completely understated in his ability to help this staff pitch to the best of their ability ... Plus, it's not like a lot of teams get much OF production from the catcher and our line-up has plenty of OF firepower; AJ also tends to at least be a decent contact hitter because he swings at everything. Thoughts?

Gavin Floyd is borderline? He's probably a top 20 pitcher in the AL.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
given the fact that we have some borderline starters in the 3, 4 (EJaxx, Gavin) spot and MB is getting on in years,

That's the border between really good and great, right?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)
And considering that Floyd is probably our 3rd/4th best starter and there are about 70 starters in the AL, I'll take it.

There was a fangraphs article a while back that was talking about the top 10 value players (I.e. production vs contract) and Floyd was like #6 on the list. I wish he'd be a little more consistent. But I've got no qualms whatsoever with Floyd as my #3 starter.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 02:20 PM)
It's inaccurate that he's borderline or inaccurate that he's top 20 in the AL? Fangraphs had him at #12 in WAR right behind Danks last year. And Floyd's 2009 WAR was higher than it was in 2010.

I really f***ed up quoting that one. Clearly I was getting G-Floyd's back, but sucked at typing.