Sox #10 in MLB value, Turned a $27mil profit

Texsox

Thankfully they turned a profit last year. I would have been so pissed if they had spent any of that $27Mil on a DH. Imagine of the team would have won their division, only to find out they lost a million or two. How terrible would it be to be a Bo Sox or Mets fan and realize your team lost almost $2mil last year.

http://chicago.sbnation.com/chicago-cubs/2...-white-sox-10th

BTW, kicked the Cubs ass by $2mil

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 09:08 PM)
Thankfully they turned a profit last year. I would have been so pissed if they had spent any of that $27Mil on a DH. Imagine of the team would have won their division, only to find out they lost a million or two. How terrible would it be to be a Bo Sox or Mets fan and realize your team lost almost $2mil last year.

That is actually quite interesting. I think I will have to digest that info.

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 08:08 PM)

How did we beat the Cubs by $2M? Assuming you are looking at the Operating Income, we made $4.2M more. But I don't believe that column because then it mean the Yankees only made $25M last year? And we made $27M? No way we made more money then them, and how did the Red Sox LOSE money last year? I'm not sure I understand this chart.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 08:18 PM)
How did we beat the Cubs by $2M? Assuming you are looking at the Operating Income, we made $4.2M more. But I don't believe that column because then it mean the Yankees only made $25M last year? And we made $27M? No way we made more money then them, and how did the Red Sox LOSE money last year? I'm not sure I understand this chart.

Pretty sure operating income is profit. The Yankees made $427M but their profit was $25M after all expenses.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 07:18 PM)

Operating income = profit; well actually EBIT earning before interest and taxes.

After getting a $30mil revenue sharing check, being in the race the whole season, and having the lowest payroll in baseball, the Padres were the #1 profit team in 2010.

I'd have top see a 10 year average to really appreciate the numbers. Perhaps once a decade almost every team earns $20 mil or so and this was just an aberration.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 07:18 PM)

When it comes to revenue sharing, the Yankees give, give, give. And they have a huge payroll. I could easily see teams earning more than the Yankees.

I like how we had a higher operating income than the Twins last year, despite the fact that they were in a brand new park and everything.

BTW, the Padres made the most money last season...spending only $40 million on the on-field product helps I guess.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 09:06 PM)
You can't go by Forbes numbers. They say the Sox make at least $20 million in profit for the past 6 or 7 seasons. Listen to the White Sox. They break even every year.

Its tough becuase as a private organization the Sox dont have to disclose what they do with the money or where it goes. From the $210M in revenue sure some goes to payroll, and we know that figure, but how much goes to sox employees and benefits, how much goes to stadium operations, how much goes to scouting, drafting, player development, how much goes to their lease, etc. Also, operating income doesnt really do much, at least not anything than more an increase in revenue would anyway. The sox have said ime and time again they run their organization to break even and win the world series. Every dollar they take in they spend on the team and organization, so we would have a higher payroll or budget for the draft with higher revenue regardless of profit. Having a $26M operating income means that the team basically found some way to save some money or make some new money that wasnt there before and tips the balance of money in vs money in a positive way. Assuming the sox do what they always do they will find a way to invest that money into the ballclub, stadium, or a special project of some sort.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 10:31 PM)
Its tough becuase as a private organization the Sox dont have to disclose what they do with the money or where it goes. From the $210M in revenue sure some goes to payroll, and we know that figure, but how much goes to sox employees and benefits, how much goes to stadium operations, how much goes to scouting, drafting, player development, how much goes to their lease, etc. Also, operating income doesnt really do much, at least not anything than more an increase in revenue would anyway. The sox have said ime and time again they run their organization to break even and win the world series. Every dollar they take in they spend on the team and organization, so we would have a higher payroll or budget for the draft with higher revenue regardless of profit. Having a $26M operating income means that the team basically found some way to save some money or make some new money that wasnt there before and tips the balance of money in vs money in a positive way. Assuming the sox do what they always do they will find a way to invest that money into the ballclub, stadium, or a special project of some sort.

JR already put that thought to rest earlier this offseason when he said profits from earlier years could be used to cover the "loss" this year if the team doesn't draw. Amazing a team that "breaks even" every year is able to do this. Never mind the fact JR also considered going cheap. What about those previous profits that were supposedly put back into the team? Again as I have said often, I don't hold making a profit against JR and his group. What I do hold against him is the constant over budget out of money, break even BS we get every year.