Why do we open in Cleveland?

Steve9347

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 05:29 PM)
Seriously. This is frustrating. Games get snowed out in Cleveland opening weekend every year. Why doesn't the Tribe start out on the road?

Anyway, I'm annoyed.

I'll guess it will be 57 and sunny on opening day.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 06:59 PM)
God I hope it's not snowed out. I am driving 200 miles home from school just to watch my team on TV on opening day! I will be very pissed off if I wasted $65 in gas and 6 hours of driving for nothing!

Ummm...MLB.tv? You can buy almost a whole year's worth of that with $65.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 06:29 PM)
Seriously. This is frustrating. Games get snowed out in Cleveland opening weekend every year. Why doesn't the Tribe start out on the road?

Anyway, I'm annoyed.

It is really frustrating. This is why I support chopping two weeks off each end of the regular season (and adding a 3 game wild card "play-in"). Baseball and snow do not go well together. Who here has gotten hit by a ball in the cold? Or taken a good rip and had your hands sting (aluminum bats anyways)? It's brutal.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 01:15 AM)
It is really frustrating. This is why I support chopping two weeks off each end of the regular season (and adding a 3 game wild card "play-in"). Baseball and snow do not go well together. Who here has gotten hit by a ball in the cold? Or taken a good rip and had your hands sting (aluminum bats anyways)? It's brutal.

I'm guessing that the weather will be fine as well.

Cold - you're right TIto - it's tough to play in.

Regardless of the weather - It's time for the boys to come out and get it done.

I'm so far out of the loop, I don't even really know when opening day is to look up the weather. MLB.com, here we come!

And I need me some Soxtalk to get me back into the baseball groove. Fresh off a Superbowl victory, I think I'll have some renewed faith in my team this year.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 08:05 PM)
Ummm...MLB.tv? You can buy almost a whole year's worth of that with $65.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 08:12 PM)
He's probably like me. I'm in the blackout area on MLB.tv for the White Sox, but I don't get CSN here locally.

Yep, I'm blacked out. Hell, I have a free month on MLB.tv because I bought MLB The Show, but I still can't watch the Sox play.

You don't need every stadium to have a dome, you don't need to chop 2 weeks off the regular season, you just need to spend the first week of every season with teams from the Central playing the West.

Start Cleveland, Minny, and the Sox with a 1 week road trip every year and this isn't a problem.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)
You don't need every stadium to have a dome, you don't need to chop 2 weeks off the regular season, you just need to spend the first week of every season with teams from the Central playing the West.

Start Cleveland, Minny, and the Sox with a 1 week road trip every year and this isn't a problem.

I've been saying this for the last 10 years at least. Why can't MLB do this?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 01:05 PM)
The problem is, the teams in warmer weather cities or with domes don't want 10 home dates eaten by April 12th.

They don't play 10 games in the first week of the season. The teams opening at home are generally hosting the first 2 series. Between Toronto, Anaheim, Oakland, Texas, Seattle, Tampa, and KC the AL could minimize the weather postponements in the first week of the season.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 01:36 PM)
They don't play 10 games in the first week of the season. The teams opening at home are generally hosting the first 2 series. Between Toronto, Anaheim, Oakland, Texas, Seattle, Tampa, and KC the AL could minimize the weather postponements in the first week of the season.

The post referred to the first couple of weeks of the season. There would be at least 10 games in 2 weeks. Besides, how much warmer is it guaranteed to be in Cleveland or Chicago or Minneapolis on April 15th as opposed to April 1st?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
The post referred to the first couple of weeks of the season. There would be at least 10 games in 2 weeks. Besides, how much warmer is it guaranteed to be in Cleveland or Chicago or Minneapolis on April 15th as opposed to April 1st?

Check the post again. And there is obviously no guarantee, but the nature of seasons is that is gets warmer as we get closer to summer. They are playing the games anyway, why not is places more likely to be nicer.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 02:38 PM)

The average temperature in Cleveland on April 15th is almost 20 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than on April 1. The average low temperature on April 1 is ~34 degrees, the average low on April 15th is ~42 degrees.

image001.gif