Why do we open in Cleveland?

Steve9347

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)
The money maker games are summer dates.

Pretty much every team is spending one of the first 2 weeks at home and the other week on the road. Having the opening week of the season at warm weather and indoor stadiums would not have any effect on the summer schedule.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)
The average temperature in Cleveland on April 15th is almost 20 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than on April 1. The average low temperature on April 1 is ~34 degrees, the average low on April 15th is ~42 degrees.

image001.gif

20 degrees warmer on average in 2 weeks? Pass the bong. The difference between the average historical high temp and low temp in Cleveland for those dates is 5 degrees, and there is no guarantee that it holds up any year anyway. April weather in this neck of the woods is a crapshoot. It might be 35 it might be 75.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 05:36 PM)
Yep, I'm blacked out. Hell, I have a free month on MLB.tv because I bought MLB The Show, but I still can't watch the Sox play.

Not to veer off topic but have you guys tried using a VPN to bypass the blackout restrictions? Its worked well for me in the past.

QUOTE (idave03 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 03:16 PM)
Not to veer off topic but have you guys tried using a VPN to bypass the blackout restrictions? Its worked well for me in the past.

VPN? My friends at school here used a proxy w/ their MLB.tv account, but they said it was painfully slow through the proxy, and the quality was awful. I'll surely give it a shot for other games, but I am not going to count on it and then miss opening day.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 07:36 PM)
Yep, I'm blacked out. Hell, I have a free month on MLB.tv because I bought MLB The Show, but I still can't watch the Sox play.

You gotta wonder which genius lawyer came up with the blackout restrictions. Iowa and S. Illinois get screwed.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 02:17 PM)
VPN? My friends at school here used a proxy w/ their MLB.tv account, but they said it was painfully slow through the proxy, and the quality was awful. I'll surely give it a shot for other games, but I am not going to count on it and then miss opening day.

That is a lie. I've used proxies to watch Sox games online for years now. It is a pain, but once you find a decent one, it can last you for a couple of days and the speed and quality is fine (just turn the proxy off after you bypass their verification).

For whatever reason, the internet at my dorm has a Gainsville, FL IP, so I get to watch all the Sox games I want without any restrictions. I will be sad when I will not be living there next year.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 07:12 PM)
He's probably like me. I'm in the blackout area on MLB.tv for the White Sox, but I don't get CSN here locally.

I am in the same boat 90 miles south of Chicago and no CSN! :gosox3:

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)
20 degrees warmer on average in 2 weeks? Pass the bong. The difference between the average historical high temp and low temp in Cleveland for those dates is 5 degrees, and there is no guarantee that it holds up any year anyway. April weather in this neck of the woods is a crapshoot. It might be 35 it might be 75.

I can't find a link but someone did a study of this after 2007 and found that if you bypassed the first week in Cleveland and Minnesota, you'd eliminate something like 80% of the potential snowouts.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
I can't find a link but someone did a study of this after 2007 and found that if you bypassed the first week in Cleveland and Minnesota, you'd eliminate something like 80% of the potential snowouts.

According to Accuweather, the average high/low in Cleveland for 4/1 is 52/33 and 4/15 is 57/38. Not much of a difference, and anyone in Chicago knows the average temperatures mean nothing this time of year. I would imagine having the Indians start out on the road for a week or two would be good news for them, but the bottom line is as far as weather goes, you're pretty much dealing with the same issues, obviously a little smaller, but not enough for forcing warm market or dome teams into a full week or two of home games to start every season.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 04:04 PM)
According to Accuweather, the average high/low in Cleveland for 4/1 is 52/33 and 4/15 is 57/38. Not much of a difference, and anyone in Chicago knows the average temperatures mean nothing this time of year. I would imagine having the Indians start out on the road for a week or two would be good news for them, but the bottom line is as far as weather goes, you're pretty much dealing with the same issues, obviously a little smaller, but not enough for forcing warm market or dome teams into a full week or two of home games to start every season.

The 7 degree difference in average low is huge because it goes from 1 degree above the melting point of ice to 8.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)
The 7 degree difference in average low is huge because it goes from 1 degree above the melting point of ice to 8.

All the games the Sox are playing will be in the day. If they came 2 weeks later, there would probably be a night game in there. Its not like it snows 15 feet in April in Cleveland. They average less than 3 inches of snow per April. Chicago averages about an inch and a half. Has there been a snow out since they lost the series in 2007? Chances are if you are playing in Cleveland, Chicago, Minneapolis, Detroit, New York, Boston in April, you're going to need something other than short sleeves under your jersey whether its April 1st or April 30th. If the weather is nice, just count it as a blessing.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 12:20 PM)
That is a lie. I've used proxies to watch Sox games online for years now. It is a pain, but once you find a decent one, it can last you for a couple of days and the speed and quality is fine (just turn the proxy off after you bypass their verification).

For whatever reason, the internet at my dorm has a Gainsville, FL IP, so I get to watch all the Sox games I want without any restrictions. I will be sad when I will not be living there next year.

Yeah proxies suck. VPNs are similar but they're more reliable and if its a paid VPN, bandwidth is virtually guaranteed. your dorm's internet is running through a VPN which why your ip is located in fl. there are a few free vpns that offer decent bandwidth (1.5mb). You only need to get past the authentication/login phase. once im actually watching the game i disconnect from the vpn and continue watching using my bandwidth. word of caution: i used to have comcast and they dropped vpn support for home accounts. when i called and complained i was told that only business accounts have vpn support. I switched to uverse and hopefully this method works again this year.

All of these teams need to open at home during the first week of the season in the AL.

Oakland

Anaheim

Seattle

Texas

Tampa

Toronto

Kansas City

They are the warmest places or have retractable roofs. It is so ludicrous that games are being played when it's 32 degrees and snowy. If the scheduling becomes too weird by having a majority of non-division games to start the season, then just start in mid-April and cut the season by two weeks.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 02:37 PM)
All of these teams need to open at home during the first week of the season in the AL.

Oakland

Anaheim

Seattle

Texas

Tampa

Toronto

Kansas City

They are the warmest places or have retractable roofs. It is so ludicrous that games are being played when it's 32 degrees and snowy. If the scheduling becomes too weird by having a majority of non-division games to start the season, then just start in mid-April and cut the season by two weeks.

Glad to know I'm not the only crazy one who wants this to happen!