Final Four

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 12:28 PM)
There were no great teams. If you are saying Kentucky, Duke, UNC, etc. were overrated then who wasn't overrated? The Big East? College basketball sucked this year, so a lot of teams that would usually be top 15-20 type teams became top 5-10 teams.

VCU was definitely not overrated. Butler was not overrated. There are a bunch of teams that were clearly underrated going into the tournament.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)
VCU was definitely not overrated. Butler was not overrated. There are a bunch of teams that were clearly underrated going into the tournament.

VCU was definitely not underrated. They were the last team in and it's still debatable whether or not their regular season performance deserved them that bid in the first place. They were rated right where they should have been. The fact that they have gotten hot and overacheived doesn't suddenly make them clearly underrated.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 07:57 AM)
Agreed. The ACC was terrible, their only competition was Duke, and yes, Kentucky is also overrated. This is like saying Duke wasn't overrated because it was a #1 seed. That's BS. Duke wasn't deserving of a #1 seed (shocker there, Duke getting an inflated seeding). They won nothing but the ACC title and had one top 25 win all season. That's a crappy resume for a #1.

That elite 8 game between UNC and Kentucky was fantastic, but that's two decent teams, not two great teams. Kentucky is a no-call travel away from losing in the first round.

This is just crazy talk. If you're saying they're not great teams because...well there is no great teams this year than I'm perfectly fine with that explanation. But relative to the competition, UNC, Kentucky and Duke weren't overrated in the slightest.

You can't really use their tournament run as a reasoning for why they were underrated going into the tournament. Those teams got the seeds they deserved based on their regular season performance.

VCU finished 4th in the Colonial for god's sake. They were 23-11 before the tournament and had several ugly losses (South Florida, Georgia State, Northeastern, Drexel and James Madison).

Butler had a very up and down season as well. They were 14-9 at one point and lost 5 games in a rather suspect Horizon League. They lost to a brutal Youngstown State team and lost twice to a 19-14 Milwaukee team, plus they had a loss to Evansville before the conference season.

Obviously their respective tournament runs make their seasons look a lot better, but you can't go back and say that they were underrated because of events that hadn't happened yet.

So Duke = overrated, Butler = underrated. Duke also smacked Butler by 12 earlier in the year. You can't say everyone but the teams in the final 4 were overrated. Even half the teams in the final 4 sucked in the regular season.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 10:01 PM)
So Duke = overrated, Butler = underrated. Duke also smacked Butler by 12 earlier in the year. You can't say everyone but the teams in the final 4 were overrated. Even half the teams in the final 4 sucked in the regular season.

He called Kentucky overrated too, so not even the final four teams are immune.

My point is that certain teams were pegged as contenders or "elite" teams before the tournament started, despite the fact that they never exhibited anything close to that. Duke and UNC were high seeds that were overrated. Again, name me some really good wins from this year to prove that. I think Kentucky, to a certain extent, was also overrated, though they played well enough to get to the Final Four. None of these teams were as great as they were made out to be.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
My point is that certain teams were pegged as contenders or "elite" teams before the tournament started, despite the fact that they never exhibited anything close to that. Duke and UNC were high seeds that were overrated. Again, name me some really good wins from this year to prove that. I think Kentucky, to a certain extent, was also overrated, though they played well enough to get to the Final Four. None of these teams were as great as they were made out to be.

So VCU needs to be considered one of the best teams in the country because of their tourney play, but Kentucky is still overrated but just happened to play well enough to get to the Final Four. As a #4 seed.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)
So VCU needs to be considered one of the best teams in the country because of their tourney play, but Kentucky is still overrated but just happened to play well enough to get to the Final Four. As a #4 seed.

I never said the best, i said they were underrated. I argued that if they win the whole tournament I don't see how they wouldn't be considered, at the very least, in the discussion for the best team. And if Kentucky wins the whole thing then fine, i'll be proven wrong. But I don't think they're as good as advertised. Like I said before, they were a no-call travel away from losing in the first round.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)

Kentucky ended up the 11th ranked team in the country I believe, if anything that 4 seed was a bit of an underrating

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 12:50 PM)
I never said the best, i said they were underrated. I argued that if they win the whole tournament I don't see how they wouldn't be considered, at the very least, in the discussion for the best team. And if Kentucky wins the whole thing then fine, i'll be proven wrong. But I don't think they're as good as advertised. Like I said before, they were a no-call travel away from losing in the first round.

Almost every title team is a call, or a shot away from being bounced. There is always that one moment that they have to win to move on and win the title. Its rare a team just breezes through unscathed.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)

Well Butler has been one play away in every game(minus Wisconsin) of being eliminated, so they certainly can't be underrated. VCU is one bad inbounds play away from being eliminated in the s16 so they're certainly not underrated either. As a matter of fact, Butler was one play away from losing to a lower seed in ODU, so they're clearly overrated.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)

You can trash the resume of these teams all you want, but come up with teams that were more deserving of those seeds. I guarantee they won't have more quality wins without having many more losses as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 11:52 AM)
Almost every title team is a call, or a shot away from being bounced. There is always that one moment that they have to win to move on and win the title. Its rare a team just breezes through unscathed.

This is definitely true. The only team I can think of that really wasn't challenged in the tournament was 2009 North Carolina. I don't think 2002 Maryland or 2007 Florida really had a game that came down to the last minute either, but I believe even they had games that were close within the last couple/few minutes.

Anybody making two straight title games is amazing. A Horizon League team doing it is hard to fathom. They'll be heavily challenged Monday, but counting Butler out is never a good idea. They get the rare sports second chance.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 2, 2011 -> 10:58 PM)
Until this one is also taken away for something completely out of Calipari's hands because he is just unlucky.

BUT HE WAS NEVER INDICTED BY THE NCAA. Seriously, I heard that about 30 times yesterday, so apparently it was just a coincidence that both of his final fours at two different schools were taken away, he had nothing to do with it.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 2, 2011 -> 11:44 PM)
I hope Butler wins but I wouldnt be upset seeing UCONN winning either.

Just get this crap tournament over with so we can move fully into baseball and the NHL playoffs.

I mean the overall level of play certainly isn't very good but this has been a very fun tournament regardless.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 09:35 AM)
I mean the overall level of play certainly isn't very good but this has been a very fun tournament regardless.

Reminds me of the George Mason tourney in 2006. Everyone enjoys the upsets and the media feeds off of it, but overall the basketball just flat out sucks.

UConn should win on Monday, but Brad Stevens has shown time and time again that you shouldn't pick against him.

That VCU/Butler game was terrible last night. One thing is for certain to me, and that is I don't want to have to watch two "underdogs" play each other again in the Final Four. When they play other, big name teams, it's exciting. When it's against each other, not so much.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
That VCU/Butler game was terrible last night. One thing is for certain to me, and that is I don't want to have to watch two "underdogs" play each other again in the Final Four. When they play other, big name teams, it's exciting. When it's against each other, not so much.

Both games were terrible, that was some horrid basketball played last night.