Final Four

Yes, it was a terrible game for the most part. But, at the end of the day UConn is the national champion. Never saw that coming when the season started but I'm going to enjoy it. It's been so much fun to watch this team develop through the season, especially after watching the crap that they played last year (with an arguably more talented team)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 07:43 AM)
LOL 41 points in the title game?

Way to embarass yourself Butler. I don't even remember the last time I saw a team shoot under 20% in a regular season game, let alone the championship. Thank god I chose not to watch the game. Just reading the comments on Twitter was painful enough.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 07:57 AM)
Way to embarass yourself Butler. I don't even remember the last time I saw a team shoot under 20% in a regular season game, let alone the championship. Thank god I chose not to watch the game. Just reading the comments on Twitter was painful enough.

I tried to watch it, really hard to do.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 01:40 AM)
Fitting end to this season. Worst college basketball season I've ever seen, worst title game I've ever seen. Quite frankly, both teams played like s*** and should be ashamed of themselves. However, UConn just played like run of the mill, reasonable s***. Butler played like a level of s*** that cannot be described in words. A Horizon League team making two title games in a row, even in this era, is still quite amazing. But for them to be up 6 with 19:30 left in the title game, and then just absolutely die like that.....it's more shocking than any of their 10 wins in the last two tournaments.

We either need a two year minimum, back to the days where you can skip college alltogether, or a system like baseball where you have to either go straight out of high school, or wait 3 years. Although, I think there is a JUCO loophole in that system, but you get what I'm trying to say. The system as it is now does no good for the kids, the NBA, or the NCAA, and there is no reason to keep it as is.

Agreed. The system needs to be fixed because it's really starting to hurt the quality of the sport. I'm all about having more parity, but let's have 5-6 GREAT teams, not 5-6 good teams.

The problem isnt one and done, its the fact that you can get a ton of exposure at Butler as a starter compared to UNC on the bench.

If you are hoping for finals where its MJ, Perkins and Worthy versus Ewing and Floyd, it just isnt going to happen every year. Even that UNC team only beat James Madison in the 2nd round by 2 points. Furthermore back then the field was only 48 teams, meaning that the top 4 seeds got byes which gave them a much better chance of moving on.

The problem is that you have a tournament that is created to give each team a chance to win. What happens is that some times the best teams dont win. The more chances that are given to lose, the more likely that the best teams wont be in the final game.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
The problem isnt one and done, its the fact that you can get a ton of exposure at Butler as a starter compared to UNC on the bench.

If you are hoping for finals where its MJ, Perkins and Worthy versus Ewing and Floyd, it just isnt going to happen every year. Even that UNC team only beat James Madison in the 2nd round by 2 points. Furthermore back then the field was only 48 teams, meaning that the top 4 seeds got byes which gave them a much better chance of moving on.

The problem is that you have a tournament that is created to give each team a chance to win. What happens is that some times the best teams dont win. The more chances that are given to lose, the more likely that the best teams wont be in the final game.

I don't think this is true when you have a seeded tournament like this. The whole thing is designed to let the best teams get to at least the final four. That's what happens most of the time.

If it was designed for the best teams to get to the Final Four only the top 4 teams would be in the tournament.

The entire point of a tournament is to give every seed, 1-16, a chance to win. That does not mean each team has an equal chance to win, but even a 16 seed only has to win as many games as a 1 seed.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 04:34 PM)
If it was designed for the best teams to get to the Final Four only the top 4 teams would be in the tournament.

The entire point of a tournament is to give every seed, 1-16, a chance to win. That does not mean each team has an equal chance to win, but even a 16 seed only has to win as many games as a 1 seed.

A chance? Yes. A realistic chance? Eh, not really. I mean there are upsets sure, but usually not that many. This year was obviously a fluke.