ESPN in Shape for 2011

elrockinMT

People have to understand ESPN is just doing what makes sense to them from a business perspective.

If you were in charge of scheduling programming, and your goal is to raise as much advertising revenue as possible, which teams would you schedule? The fact is, the Yankees and the Red Sox have the largest fanbases, and these Yankees-Red Sox games bring the largest ratings, which, in turn, allow ESPN to charge more for it's advertising and maximize revenue.

It's business, and nothing else.

I understand it's business, but business also shouldn't include leaving out the little guys and only focusing on what will get you the most money. If ESPN cut down on half the Red Sox/Yankees games, and did a variety of other teams, they would not be getting ads pulled from them left and right, and even if they did, I'm pretty sure they are not hurting for money.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 10:38 PM)
I understand it's business, but business also doesn't include leaving out the little guys and only focusing on what will get you the most money. If ESPN cut down on half the Red Sox/Yankees games, and did a variety of other teams, they would not be getting ads pulled from them left and right, and even if they did, I'm pretty sure they are not hurting for money.

It doesn't?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 12:39 AM)
It doesn't?

I don't know if this is true or not, but it seems as though their pretty obvious bias has gotten under the skin of enough fans that it could eventually be a problem. I, for one, only watch ESPN when they have a game on that I want to see. I don't watch it for highlights anymore at all, simply because I find their choice of coverage obnoxious. They may be winning over a few fans but they might be alienating a lot more in the process. I'm sure their finger is on the pulse of this issue much more than mine, but some balanced coverage and non-meathead/sensationalist analysis might get them some people back.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 09:47 PM)
I never thought MLB Network was biased, but almost every preseason game they showed this year involved the Yanks or Saux.

there were also a decent amount of Cubs, Sox, Mets and Phils game, I think it's because they are larger market teams that show a decent amount of preseason games.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 09:46 PM)
I don't know if this is true or not, but it seems as though their pretty obvious bias has gotten under the skin of enough fans that it could eventually be a problem. I, for one, only watch ESPN when they have a game on that I want to see. I don't watch it for highlights anymore at all, simply because I find their choice of coverage obnoxious. They may be winning over a few fans but they might be alienating a lot more in the process. I'm sure their finger is on the pulse of this issue much more than mine, but some balanced coverage and non-meathead/sensationalist analysis might get them some people back.

Well don't you think they have people in charge of their network that have considered all these things? I am not privy to the inner workings of ESPN, but my guess is that they understand there is a certain segment of their audience that gets alienated by the Red Sox/Yankees coverage, however, the ratings they get are enough to trump this. You can never please all of the people all of the time, so you just try to please as many of them as you can as much of the time. The challenge is to find that sweet spot which results in the big ratings from the Yanks/Red Sox games and the Cubs/Cards games, while still keeping around as many fans of the other teams and casual fans as possible. And I am certain they have poured plenty of research into finding where that is.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 01:05 AM)
Well don't you think they have people in charge of their network that have considered all these things? I am not privy to the inner workings of ESPN, but my guess is that they understand there is a certain segment of their audience that gets alienated by the Red Sox/Yankees coverage, however, the ratings they get are enough to trump this. You can never please all of the people all of the time, so you just try to please as many of them as you can as much of the time. The challenge is to find that sweet spot which results in the big ratings from the Yanks/Red Sox games and the Cubs/Cards games, while still keeping around as many fans of the other teams and casual fans as possible. And I am certain they have poured plenty of research into finding where that is.

I'm sure you're right, but often times business are too shortsighted to worry about their image long-term. I wouldn't discount the possibility that ESPN continues to progress towards becoming YES/NESN 2 in order to milk as much Atlantic money as possible to their long-term detriment as they lose credibility. Not saying it'll happen, but I also don't buy that just because companies spend a lot of money on a problem, they will necessary come to the long-term best conclusion. Short-term almost always wins.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 03:38 AM)
I understand it's business, but business also shouldn't include leaving out the little guys and only focusing on what will get you the most money. If ESPN cut down on half the Red Sox/Yankees games, and did a variety of other teams, they would not be getting ads pulled from them left and right, and even if they did, I'm pretty sure they are not hurting for money.

I think you should start a 24X7 Pittsburgh Pirates station.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 03:38 AM)

I agree that it shouldn't include leaving out other teams. If you have a bias as a network for certain teams like the Red Sox and yankees then admit it and don't jerk the rest of the baseball fans around.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 03:34 PM)
I agree that it shouldn't include leaving out other teams. If you have a bias as a network for certain teams like the Red Sox and yankees then admit it and don't jerk the rest of the baseball fans around.

Admitting that would be bad for business.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 04:57 PM)
at least one of their "experts" picked the Sox to win it.

ESPN predictions

Wow, if we were to go by their picks, there would barely be any reason for a fan of almost any team to watch this season.

It's basically this:

90% - Red Sox

5% - Phillies

4% - Braves

1% - White Sox or Giants

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 05:03 PM)
Wow, if we were to go by their picks, there would barely be any reason for a fan of almost any team to watch this season.

It's basically this:

90% - Red Sox

5% - Phillies

4% - Braves

1% - White Sox or Giants

The Red Sox are pretty darn buck nasty.