Obama Energy Goals Announced

Texsox

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 09:20 AM)
I'm all about Obama making this pledge, but really, hasn't every President since Carter been saying this?

Yes, to greater or lesser degrees.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 09:20 AM)
And yet we're still nowhere close to attaining that goal.

Actually we've made quite a bit of progress, but there is a long way to go.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 09:24 AM)
Yes, to greater or lesser degrees.

Actually we've made quite a bit of progress, but there is a long way to go.

I think we've made far less progress promised for decades now. Maybe we we weren't pouring trillions into a desert and investing in REAL alternative energy sources with that money we'd get somewhere faster.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 09:37 PM)
When people get CFL bulbs they get less diligent about turning them off when they leave the room

They'd have to leave them on 4x as long to make up for the power consumption difference. 8x once you get to LED's.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 07:43 AM)
They'd have to leave them on 4x as long to make up for the power consumption difference. 8x once you get to LED's.

Just don't break them.

Those LED's are ridiculously expensive. I was looking at $90 for one light fixture's worth for dimmable ones. I decided not to bother since I rarely use that light.

CFL's, on the other hand, are now $2/4 pack at Home Depot thanks to Com Ed subsidies. I still don't understand why ComEd and Nicor subsidize higher efficiencies since it means you'll use less energy.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 09:57 AM)
Those LED's are ridiculously expensive. I was looking at $90 for one light fixture's worth for dimmable ones. I decided not to bother since I rarely use that light.

CFL's, on the other hand, are now $2/4 pack at Home Depot thanks to Com Ed subsidies. I still don't understand why ComEd and Nicor subsidize higher efficiencies since it means you'll use less energy.

Give the LED's time. They're on the same downward price curve as solar right now.