2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 11:55 AM)
Insert "maybe he didn't want to take a pay cut joke" here.

Nice.

Glad he is coming back though. I'm probably in the minority but I think Baylor will actually be better off without Dunn.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)
Good, I hope young players keep coming back, it will at least make the talent level grow in college bball. PLayers take large jumps in their first few years in school.

Agreed. Especially with the pending lockout. You're gonna have kids coming out too early with nothing to do for a year potentially. Just would be awful and potentially crushing to their future potential.

Would also love to see a new rule in the CBA. Two and done or something like the MLB rule would be ideal. Leave after HS if you want but if you go to school you're there for three years. That rule would better all parties involved IMO. Very little downside.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 11:46 AM)
Nice.

Glad he is coming back though. I'm probably in the minority but I think Baylor will actually be better off without Dunn.

Agreed. Especially with the pending lockout. You're gonna have kids coming out too early with nothing to do for a year potentially. Just would be awful and potentially crushing to their future potential.

Would also love to see a new rule in the CBA. Two and done or something like the MLB rule would be ideal. Leave after HS if you want but if you go to school you're there for three years. That rule would better all parties involved IMO. Very little downside.

I'd like that better than what we have now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 11:41 AM)
Good, I hope young players keep coming back, it will at least make the talent level grow in college bball. PLayers take large jumps in their first few years in school.

This is true but the talent level is also just cyclical in college basketball and I'm a believer that players should be allowed to go pro whenever they want. If they want to stay and pass up the money that is available to them that is fine but they shouldn't be forced to do so (I'm quoting your post but responding to others as well). The 06 and 07 classes were phenomenal so you had some really good years of college hoops. The 2008 class was awful, and while the 2009 class had truly elite talent at the top the depth of the talent wasn't anything special. Add in a 2010 class that didn't have many impact freshmen and you have a really mediocre year of college basketball.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 11:46 AM)
Nice.

Baylor will be a VERY interesting team, but I'm not sure that necessarily means they'll be good.

It's hard not to be impressed with their athleticism and length, but they had that this year too and struggled mightily. Dunn had a pretty brutal year and Jones was merely solid despite his immense physical gifts (he seems like a shooting guard trapped in a center's body).

Jones has to be more of an impact player this year and they need to find guys to make plays on the perimeter. Dunn was a large part of the problem with that bad FG% and high turnover rate, but Walton is their only proven guard and he wasn't exactly a stud. Franklin is an interesting transfer and Bello is a highly touted recruit, but the former missed a ton of shots at Cal and the latter seems to be more of an athlete than a shooter.

Obviously Miller could/should be a star, but he seems like more of a PF and they already have two guys up front in Perry Jones and Acy. Also, is Anthony Jones still going to get minutes? He was one of their few guys that hit outside shots this past year, but they have a logjam at the forward spots.

Like I said, they'll be fun to watch, but I'm not sure how much better they will be. A lot of it will depend on how the newcomers perform.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 05:46 PM)
Nice.

Dunn was unbelievably bad last year. Still laugh how he was grouped with Kemba, Nolan Smith and Jimmer on ESPN graphics.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 03:35 PM)
Dunn was unbelievably bad last year. Still laugh how he was grouped with Kemba, Nolan Smith and Jimmer on ESPN graphics.

He was still LaceDarius Dunn and still got a ton of attention. The problem, like you said, was he was bad. Wasn't hitting shots and whenever he had the ball the offense just was stagnant, waiting around for him to do something. I can already see Baylor being a team I would not want to face in the NCAA tournament next year, because they're gonna have a seed worse than the quality of team they will be.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 08:27 PM)
Heads, with all due respect, Iowa State should be ashamed of what they're doing.

I'm fine with looking the other way. We've also had -0- issues so far with the first five transfers.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 02:38 AM)
I'm fine with looking the other way. We've also had -0- issues so far with the first five transfers.

It's not about the disciplinary issues they've had. I just don't see how you can develop a program by taking a bunch of transfers with a year or two left. A guy like Royce White makes a lot more sense than K. Lucious.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 08:41 PM)
It's not about the disciplinary issues they've had. I just don't see how you can develop a program by taking a bunch of transfers with a year or two left. A guy like Royce White makes a lot more sense than K. Lucious.

I'm guessing it's just due to how Allen has fit in since he came to ISU. And I don't know how long this transfer trend will continue. But this team is well positioned the next two years. And Hoiberg has more capital in Ames than nearly any coach anywhere, so he'll get time.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 09:44 PM)
I'm guessing it's just due to how Allen has fit in since he came to ISU. And I don't know how long this transfer trend will continue. But this team is well positioned the next two years. And Hoiberg has more capital in Ames than nearly any coach anywhere, so he'll get time.

I have no problem with what their doing, it's college kids deserve a 2nd chance. As long as it's only a 2nd chance and the kids know any further screw ups wont be tolerated.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 09:44 PM)

Hoiberg knows it would take many tough years to rebuild the recruiting for that program. And I'm guessing he plans to do that, but wants results in the meantime, both to make the recruiting rebuild faster and to get the fans more into it again.

But he's definitely taking a huge risk. ISU has been a program that was relatively clean over the years, and pulling in a bunch of players with various on or off the court issues. If he's right on who he picked, and if he's really that good a coach, then most of those guys will keep their noses clean and the program will have a huge comeback. If he's wrong and a bunch of them derail, then not only is the program back to square one, he's also made the school look terrible by gambling away their reputation.

Basically, 3 years from now, I doubt Hoiberg is looked at as semi-successful. Either he's going to look like a genius, or he's going to be out of a job.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 06:43 AM)
Hoiberg is taking a pretty big risk here. Iowa crucified Steve Alford for pretty much the same thing.

Alford gave one guy a 2nd chance, one guy (Pierre Pierce). And he paid dearly for it. That said, he also just rubbed the fans of Iowa the wrong way. He's done a nice job in New Mexico though and Iowa is still trying to put the pieces together.

A great example of when you think the grass is greener, it really isn't. I'm hoping that the new coach will finally bring Iowa back. It will take time though, but it helps they'll finally have a first class practice facility.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 08:32 AM)
Hoiberg knows it would take many tough years to rebuild the recruiting for that program. And I'm guessing he plans to do that, but wants results in the meantime, both to make the recruiting rebuild faster and to get the fans more into it again.

But he's definitely taking a huge risk. ISU has been a program that was relatively clean over the years, and pulling in a bunch of players with various on or off the court issues. If he's right on who he picked, and if he's really that good a coach, then most of those guys will keep their noses clean and the program will have a huge comeback. If he's wrong and a bunch of them derail, then not only is the program back to square one, he's also made the school look terrible by gambling away their reputation.

Basically, 3 years from now, I doubt Hoiberg is looked at as semi-successful. Either he's going to look like a genius, or he's going to be out of a job.

I have to ask how clean the program really was, given that Floyd ran into a hell of a lot of trouble once he moved onto USC. Floyd is a fantastic college coach though. Very underrated in my book, unfortunately, he made a really stupid mistake with OJ Mayo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 11:39 AM)
I have to ask how clean the program really was, given that Floyd ran into a hell of a lot of trouble once he moved onto USC. Floyd is a fantastic college coach though. Very underrated in my book, unfortunately, he made a really stupid mistake with OJ Mayo.

I obviously don't know anything for sure, I am just going on the fact that in the Orr and Floyd eras, there was little or no news about things like recruiting violations, significant off the court issues, etc. Not none, but, close. Also, not sure if its true anymore, but it used to be that ISU was the only Big 8 / Big 12 team that didn't allow Prop 47 (or whatever the number is) transfers, and had some other rules that were somewhat more restrictive than many other schools.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 11:39 AM)

Also, think about this... Floyd came from a smaller program into what was, at that time, a significant Big 8/12 program, and had the table already set for him by Orr. So he wasn't forced to do anything terribly wrong, really. Doesn't mean he didn't, just means he'd have been less motivated to.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 11:38 AM)
Alford gave one guy a 2nd chance, one guy (Pierre Pierce). And he paid dearly for it. That said, he also just rubbed the fans of Iowa the wrong way. He's done a nice job in New Mexico though and Iowa is still trying to put the pieces together.

A great example of when you think the grass is greener, it really isn't. I'm hoping that the new coach will finally bring Iowa back. It will take time though, but it helps they'll finally have a first class practice facility.

Which is crazy because he is one of the nicest people you will ever meet.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
Which is crazy because he is one of the nicest people you will ever meet.

I know you know him. The man is HATED by Iowa fans. He's generally seen as arrogant.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 08:03 PM)
Heads, trust me when I say that Anthony Booker will frustrate you like no other player. Athletic as he'll but sloppy and not a smart player.

I still think under the right tutelage Anthony will shine. We'll see...