2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 07:14 PM)
I know you know him. The man is HATED by Iowa fans. He's generally seen as arrogant.

He 100% is. But then again, I haven't met a good basketball coach that wasn't. The other side of that is what he does for his kids off of the court, which no one gets to see. He is pretty close to a father for a lot of them.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 05:14 PM)
I know you know him. The man is HATED by Iowa fans. He's generally seen as arrogant.

Ya. To add to this, he just rubbed the Iowa community as an arrogant guy who just wasn't down to earth. Whether right or wrong, he had this persona about him and it didn't fit in well at Iowa City.

The NCAA is ridiculous sometimes: Potential new rule regarding the NBA draft process.

So what does that really mean? The deadline to pull out of the draft and retain your eligibility would now be BEFORE the NBA's deadline to even declare for the draft.

So because some coaches got their panties in a bunch about roster uncertainty, players will have basically no time to have their draft status evaluated. It's not like coaches can replace someone of NBA caliber at this point in the year anyways, virtually all of the top-100 recruits have signed and you're not going to get someone joining the party this late.

Instead, guys will be making life-altering decisions with less feedback from their future employers, likely leading to more poor decisions, with very little benefit to NCAA teams. Because coaches really need to be able to go after that 3-star recruit that they'll probably wish they hadn't signed in two years to "replace" their departing stud.

Hopefully sanity will prevail and it will get shot down at the next stage of approval, but knowing the NCAA it'll pass because god forbid someone actually tries to get PAID for drawing thousands of fans to arenas and millions more in the television audience.

/Rant

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 09:06 AM)
I have never seen this much talent on a roster, and UK could match them talent wise if they return Knight and Jones.

Yup, entire squads full of McD's AA players. Should be a good year at the top level of NCAA bball.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 11:11 AM)
The NCAA is ridiculous sometimes: Potential new rule regarding the NBA draft process.

So what does that really mean? The deadline to pull out of the draft and retain your eligibility would now be BEFORE the NBA's deadline to even declare for the draft.

So because some coaches got their panties in a bunch about roster uncertainty, players will have basically no time to have their draft status evaluated. It's not like coaches can replace someone of NBA caliber at this point in the year anyways, virtually all of the top-100 recruits have signed and you're not going to get someone joining the party this late.

Instead, guys will be making life-altering decisions with less feedback from their future employers, likely leading to more poor decisions, with very little benefit to NCAA teams. Because coaches really need to be able to go after that 3-star recruit that they'll probably wish they hadn't signed in two years to "replace" their departing stud.

Hopefully sanity will prevail and it will get shot down at the next stage of approval, but knowing the NCAA it'll pass because god forbid someone actually tries to get PAID for drawing thousands of fans to arenas and millions more in the television audience.

/Rant

I'll agree. The NCAA and NBA need to be in unison on that. Also, what's up with Jay-Z getting fined for hanging out with Kentucky players that one game, but LeBron James who actually is connected with a sports agency doesn't.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 08:15 PM)
Uh, you're a touch late to the party...

Richmond was an ass bag, didn't go to class, punched a teammate, attitude problems the whole year, and they didn't want him back.

Not sure how one guy acting like that has us in shambles.

Who'd he punch? And also, he deserved to start. Last, but not least, who fills that gap?

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 10:33 AM)
LOL, well forget about Kentucky pre-season #1.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=79127

Jones, Knight, Liggins all going pro.

What the hell is Liggins thinking? At least Lamb was smart enough to stay.

Ashton Gibbs staying in the draft is another stupid decision. Don't these kids have advisors? Or do they just not care what they say?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 10:20 AM)
What the hell is Liggins thinking? At least Lamb was smart enough to stay.

Ashton Gibbs staying in the draft is another stupid decision. Don't these kids have advisors? Or do they just not care what they say?

I was reading that Liggins already has two kids and his family isn't well off. He apparently would go Euro if he can't make it in the draft.

Liggins would likely lose playing time next year anyways, so why not go when he has some pretty good buzz after how he did in the postseason? He's someone that never liked school anyways, and had thought about leaving school a few times.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 03:38 PM)
OK, so he did actually punch him though.

What pisses me off about this is that when Jereme was a junio and hit the half court shot to end Paul's high school career, Brandon was man enough to walk into the Waukegan locker room before getting on the bus and hugging Richmond and congratulating him on the shot and game. Took a man to do that. Just shows Jereme is a ass and I'm sorry for ever defending him when he was in high school.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 09:15 PM)
What pisses me off about this is that when Jereme was a junio and hit the half court shot to end Paul's high school career, Brandon was man enough to walk into the Waukegan locker room before getting on the bus and hugging Richmond and congratulating him on the shot and game. Took a man to do that. Just shows Jereme is a ass and I'm sorry for ever defending him when he was in high school.

I'm still thankful that Ahmad Starks hit that ridiculous shot in order to knock out Richmond from the state tourney.