2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it necessarily means he won't call tourney games. Say he signs a deal with ESPN. CBS borrows ESPN and TNT guys to call tourney games.

More definite that we are stuck with Jim Nantz at the Final Four for the forseeable future.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 5, 2011 -> 05:21 PM)
Can anyone (Brian?) tell me about this Quinton Chievous kid who just committed to Tennessee?

I only saw him once. Good player in a tough conference but kind of surprised he is going to such a big program. Weren't other school looking at him more mid major?

Sorry, can't help.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 5, 2011 -> 05:02 PM)
I only saw him once. Good player in a tough conference but kind of surprised he is going to such a big program. Weren't other school looking at him more mid major?

Sorry, can't help.

Yeah, all the other schools going after him were mid-majors... That's why I'm a little surprised. Didn't know if it was a grades-thing that he got figured out late or something, but I'm sure Cuonzo just likes him from when he was recruiting him at Missouri St

Will be interesting to see how big a name Maryland can get. It's still a solid ACC job, but not nearly what it was and Williams didn't do the school any favors by waiting until now.

Also, Gus Johnson is a bit overrated as an announcer. He makes the NCAA Tournament games more interesting and is a fun listen if the game is close, but he's a bit of a one trick pony IMO. Never thought of him as a particularly good football guy to be quite honest. His schtick really works best (by far) with the NCAA Tournament, and both parties need each other in the CBS/Turner marriage to Gus.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 6, 2011 -> 08:36 AM)
Also, Gus Johnson is a bit overrated as an announcer. He makes the NCAA Tournament games more interesting and is a fun listen if the game is close, but he's a bit of a one trick pony IMO. Never thought of him as a particularly good football guy to be quite honest. His schtick really works best (by far) with the NCAA Tournament, and both parties need each other in the CBS/Turner marriage to Gus.

He's also terrible doing MMA events.

Seth Petruzelli defeating Kimbo is the GREATEST UPSET OF ALLLLLLLLL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 8, 2011 -> 01:25 PM)
Jump the gun much?

I guess so. EVERYTHING that I read, the UA basketball boards, etc all had him going.

I am glad he is back. They have a good recruiting class coming in, and Miller is one of the better coaches in the country.

QUOTE (SoxPride56 @ May 7, 2011 -> 06:33 PM)
Sean Miller is headed to Maryland. HUGE blow to Arizona :(

That would have been a weird move after just 2 years at Arizona.

Only way I figured it would happen if by some chance it was true his wife utterly detests the desert.

U of A is stacked with incoming talent. Miller has to be a hero there after the Elite Eight run and all this talent coming in.

No need to leave. Wife's allergies must be treatable after all.

QUOTE (SoxPride56 @ May 8, 2011 -> 07:45 PM)
I guess so. EVERYTHING that I read, the UA basketball boards, etc all had him going.

I am glad he is back. They have a good recruiting class coming in, and Miller is one of the better coaches in the country.

This is why message board posts should be taken with a grain of salt. Miller did a good job using Maryland to get more money from Arizona!

Big 10/ACC Challenge

Tuesday, November 29

Miami at Purdue

Northwestern at Georgia Tech

Illinois at Maryland

Michigan at Virginia

Clemson at Iowa

Duke at Ohio State

Wednesday, November 30

Indiana at NC State

Penn State at Boston College

Florida State at Michigan State

Virginia Tech at Minnesota

Wake Forest at Nebraska

Wisconsin at North Carolina

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ May 17, 2011 -> 02:19 PM)
You're welcome?

:cheers

I'd actually like for them to get someone decent in the challenge since they seem to go creampuff-heavy with the rest of their out of conference schedule. I realize they're never going to draw UNC or Duke, but a team that might actually help their resume would be nice instead of what will probably be a terrible Yellow Jackets team.

My snap predictions:

Miami at Purdue

Northwestern at Georgia Tech

Illinois at Maryland

Michigan at Virginia

Clemson at Iowa

Duke at Ohio State

Wednesday, November 30

Indiana at NC State

Penn State at Boston College

Florida State at Michigan State

Virginia Tech at Minnesota