2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)
I love the irony of Illini fans lecturing IU fans about expectations.

Well, to be sure there were a lot of dumb Illinois fans that went overboard. I myself got caught up in some of that (though not to the degree that some did), so i'm giving my advice based on personal experience. s*** happens, as they say, and getting caught up on guys that are highly ranked (which has become such a political/business-run enterprise these days) just leads to unrealistic expectations.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 10:20 AM)
on Soxtalk, it's still just you and me on that boat. But I wouldn't be surprised if they start getting more TV time with the talent they are loading up.

Every game but the Providence game at South Padre this year is televised. National TV, not so much til the tourney. ;)

The Michigan game is on BTN. The game vs Kansas and at Oklahoma are on ESPN or ESPN2, at Tech is on ESPN2, at Texas is on LHN, and vs. Texas, vs. Oklahoma State, @ Baylor and vs. Texas Tech are all on ESPNU.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 07:06 PM)
I love IU fans, been talking for years, still no results. WE'RE GONNA BE GOOD THOUGH WATCH OUT!

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe you're listening to the crazies, but any mildly intelligent fan can tell you Crean has had a gigantic free pass up to this point; no one's expected anything. This year, I'm expecting a little below .500 in the B1G, MAYBE .500. If we make the NIT or something my expectations will have been surpassed.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 05:50 PM)
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe you're listening to the crazies, but any mildly intelligent fan can tell you Crean has had a gigantic free pass up to this point; no one's expected anything. This year, I'm expecting a little below .500 in the B1G, MAYBE .500. If we make the NIT or something my expectations will have been surpassed.

lol, tell that to He Gawn..

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 10:32 PM)

Without going back to check posts, he's mostly been talking about 2012 and beyond, isn't he? I think his expectations for this year are higher than mine (NCAA berth like 50% possible, whereas I think we'll just miss the NIT), but they're not outrageously ludicrous.

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 11:32 PM)

At what point have I had ridiculous expectations in this thread? I said this year I was finally excited about Indiana Basketball. Have you watched IU the past few years? We should be a bubble team. In the coming years, yes IU should be very formidable. Nice comprehension.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
At what point have I had ridiculous expectations in this thread? I said this year I was finally excited about Indiana Basketball. Have you watched IU the past few years? We should be a bubble team. In the coming years, yes IU should be very formidable. Nice comprehension.

You always have ridiculous expectations, IU will never be good again.. just accept it

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 01:04 AM)
You always have ridiculous expectations, IU will never be good again.. just accept it

That's a little absurd. College programs like Indiana have their ups and downs all the time. I don't know if it will be this year but Indiana is too huge in the state to stay down for a long period of time. Too much pressure on the program whether it will be Crean or someone else.

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 02:04 AM)

Yeah, this is a little ridiculous too.

This is a program like Notre Dame in football. If they're not winning, it will keep making them more determined to start winning...because that's what the alums demand.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 08:43 AM)
And the reality is that basketball is to Indiana as to football is to Texas. Nothing else really matters, and IU is the manifestation of that viewpoint.

Except Texas is ridiculously larger than Indiana in both size and population.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 04:43 AM)
That's a little absurd. College programs like Indiana have their ups and downs all the time. I don't know if it will be this year but Indiana is too huge in the state to stay down for a long period of time. Too much pressure on the program whether it will be Crean or someone else.

I was joking, I just don't like He Gawn OR Indiana anything..

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 09:47 AM)
Why does that matter as to the expectations of basketball at IU?

It has to do with the comparison you made. Football in Texas is way crazier than bball in Indiana particularly because of the size and competition level in the state as well as the deep bucket of talent.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)
It has to do with the comparison you made. Football in Texas is way crazier than bball in Indiana particularly because of the size and competition level in the state as well as the deep bucket of talent.

Except for the word "Size", don't all of those apply to Basketball in Indiana?

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 10:01 AM)
...... Football in Texas is a way bigger deal than basketball is in Indiana. The poster who said Indiana will always be bad made a ridiculous statement but still there is no comparison between the states level of interest in each sport.

If you get into real Indiana, not just the biggest cities, basketball is that big in Indiana. I have lived in both places.