2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the least excited I have been about Illini basketball since I can remember. The last few years have just been so disappointing, I don't want to get my hopes up before they fail once again. (Although who am I kidding, I'm sure I will be all in once the first ball tips off)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 05:50 PM)
This is the least excited I have been about Illini basketball since I can remember. The last few years have just been so disappointing, I don't want to get my hopes up before they fail once again. (Although who am I kidding, I'm sure I will be all in once the first ball tips off)

How can you not be excited to see a new wave of, in theory, hard working guys who listen? It's exciting to know the disappointing class is now gone and we have something else to look forward to. I don't know how good they'll actually be, but it will be fun to watch them grow. The result may be close to the same, but how we get there will be far less maddening, it appears.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 09:40 PM)
How can you not be excited to see a new wave of, in theory, hard working guys who listen? It's exciting to know the disappointing class is now gone and we have something else to look forward to. I don't know how good they'll actually be, but it will be fun to watch them grow. The result may be close to the same, but how we get there will be far less maddening, it appears.

That's true, the McCamey/Davis/Tisdale dictatorship is finally over. I guess it's just that I am tempering my expectations so much this season as compared to the past. They may be fun to watch, but I am preparing myself for an NIT berth, nothing more.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 10:12 PM)
That's true, the McCamey/Davis/Tisdale dictatorship is finally over. I guess it's just that I am tempering my expectations so much this season as compared to the past. They may be fun to watch, but I am preparing myself for an NIT berth, nothing more.

If the Illini don't make the NCAA tourney with a lineup of 5th year SR, 4* Jr (Paul), 4* Jr (DJ), high 3* Jr (Griffey), and 5* So (Leonard) I will be very disappointed in Weber. Even if there are lots of question marks (Maniscalo's ankle along with the others having a lack of experience) the illini should make the tournament based on pure talent alone.

The B10 will get at least 4 teams in and it is iffy years for many teams. Purdue lost Johnson and Moore and Wisconsin lost Leuer among others. I think it's 1.tOSU and then it's wide open. The illini SHOULD make the tournament.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 10:12 PM)

I'm in the same boat, trying to justify believing in this team. But really, it's the same s*** every year since Dee left. Every 2-3 years I keep saying "oh well, when this guy leaves they'll be so much better!" Randle, Pruitt, Tisdale/Davis/McCamey. Terrible for a program that went about 6-7 years as one of the best in the country. He's getting talent every year, which is obviously good. But until they start winning i'm not getting my hopes up.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 10:49 PM)
If the Illini don't make the NCAA tourney with a lineup of 5th year SR, 4* Jr (Paul), 4* Jr (DJ), high 3* Jr (Griffey), and 5* So (Leonard) I will be very disappointed in Weber. Even if there are lots of question marks (Maniscalo's ankle along with the others having a lack of experience) the illini should make the tournament based on pure talent alone.

The B10 will get at least 4 teams in and it is iffy years for many teams. Purdue lost Johnson and Moore and Wisconsin lost Leuer among others. I think it's 1.tOSU and then it's wide open. The illini SHOULD make the tournament.

You cant sleep on Wisconsin even though they lost Leuer. Jordan Taylor is enough for them to make a run and they actually have some talented underclassmen.

I see OSU, MSU, Wis, ILL and Pur all locks to make the tourney.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 10:48 AM)
You cant sleep on Wisconsin even though they lost Leuer. Jordan Taylor is enough for them to make a run and they actually have some talented underclassmen.

I'm a pretty big Illini homer, but although I think they will make it, they are far from a lock. I've seen a couple projected NCAA brackets already (worthless, I know) that have them out.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 11:03 AM)
Illinois not making the tourney would have to be a massive failjob. They're the second most talented team in the conference.

I personally think they are going to surprise in a good way, I'm thinking a 4-5 seed when it's all said and done. The talent and what should be a well motivated team could be a great mix, I think Weber will be refreshed after losing those guys too.

RK TEAM RECORD PTS

1 North Carolina (30) 0-0 774

2 Kentucky (1) 0-0 721

3 Ohio State 0-0 702

4 Connecticut 0-0 655

5 Syracuse 0-0 649

6 Duke 0-0 635

7 Vanderbilt 0-0 567

8 Louisville 0-0 514

9 Memphis 0-0 482

10 Florida 0-0 474

11 Pittsburgh 0-0 471

12 Baylor 0-0 358

13 Kansas 0-0 331

14 Wisconsin 0-0 313

15 Xavier 0-0 277

16 Arizona 0-0 269

17 Alabama 0-0 194

18 Michigan 0-0 187

19 Texas A&M 0-0 161

20 UCLA 0-0 147

21 Marquette 0-0 145

22 Cincinnati 0-0 141

23 Gonzaga 0-0 125

24 California 0-0 111

25 Missouri 0-0 110

Others receiving votes: Florida State 108, Texas 107, Michigan State 73, Temple 59, Washington 29, Butler 25, New Mexico 22, Creighton 19, Villanova 18, Purdue 17, UNLV 16, West Virginia 13, George Mason 12, Mississippi State 11, St. John's 11, Saint Mary's 5, Virginia 5, Virginia Commonwealth 4, Drexel 2, Kansas State 2, Long Beach State 2, Notre Dame 1, Brigham Young 1

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
I'm a pretty big Illini homer, but although I think they will make it, they are far from a lock. I've seen a couple projected NCAA brackets already (worthless, I know) that have them out.

I think they are a lock because I think the bottom half of the Big Ten is weak this year and the top tier will have impressive conference records when its all said and done.

I also think the conference will do fairly well in OOC play to add a boost.

For Illinois it all comes down to Leonard. If he can play 30-35 minutes of productive basketball, they'll be a pretty good team. They have enough athletes to run and toughness to play good D. Half-court offense could be a challenge without a facilitator though, and that's my concern.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 05:35 PM)
For Illinois it all comes down to Leonard. If he can play 30-35 minutes of productive basketball, they'll be a pretty good team. They have enough athletes to run and toughness to play good D. Half-court offense could be a challenge without a facilitator though, and that's my concern.

If he plays 21-24 minutes, that's a big improvement. His big issues is fouls.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 12:35 PM)

I think depth is a bit of a concern for them as well, though they have some talent behind the starters. I still think without the egos of the guys that left, Weber's offense will be alot more fluid and effective this season.

Wayman Tisdale Award (Best Freshman) Watch List

Bradley Beal, Florida (G, 6-3, 207, Fr., St. Louis, Mo.)

Chane Behanan, Louisville (F, 6-6, 245, Fr., Cincinnati, Ohio)

Khem Birch, Pittsburgh (F, 6-9, 220, Fr., Montreal, Quebec)

Anthony Davis, Kentucky (F, 6-10, 220, Fr., Chicago, Ill.)

Andre Drummond, Connecticut (C, 6-10, 270, Fr., Middletown, Conn.)

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Kentucky (F, 6-7, 232, Fr., Somerdale, N.J.)

Le’Bryan Nash, Oklahoma State (G/F, 6-7, 230, Fr., Dallas, Texas)

Austin Rivers, Duke (G, 6-4, 200, Fr., Winter Park, Fla.)

Marquis Teague, Kentucky (G, 6-2, 189, Fr., Indianapolis, Ind.)

Adonis Thomas, Memphis (F/G, 6-6, 222, Fr., Memphis, Tenn.)

Josiah Turner, Arizona (G, 6-3, 192, Fr., Sacramento, Calif.)

Cody Zeller, Indiana (F, 6-11, 230, Fr., Washington, Ind.)

I'd assume Zeller has a chance to be high up in the voting at the end of the year, simply because he's going to be the best player and focal point of his team. Admittedly, I don't know enough about the teams of the other players on this list to know if that's true for others as well. Also, the fact that he's the best player on the team could possibly hurt him, since teams will focus on him more.

While Zeller is likely the best player on IU this year, Watford is probably the better scorer right now. Two more years experience, and he'll be able to take a more natural role (out on the wing, instead almost exclusively playing the 4/5) with Zeller here.

Of course, I could care less what individual awards Zeller (or any other Hoosier) wins, as long as the team plays well and improves significantly over last year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 09:48 AM)

I'm going to ask because as much as I should be in tune with Purdue, I'm not. Would Purdue's chances rest mostly on Robbie Hummel's health and effectiveness? Do they have enough behind him if he isn't the player he once was.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 04:39 PM)
Wayman Tisdale Award (Best Freshman) Watch List

Bradley Beal, Florida (G, 6-3, 207, Fr., St. Louis, Mo.)

Chane Behanan, Louisville (F, 6-6, 245, Fr., Cincinnati, Ohio)

Khem Birch, Pittsburgh (F, 6-9, 220, Fr., Montreal, Quebec)

Anthony Davis, Kentucky (F, 6-10, 220, Fr., Chicago, Ill.)

Andre Drummond, Connecticut (C, 6-10, 270, Fr., Middletown, Conn.)

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Kentucky (F, 6-7, 232, Fr., Somerdale, N.J.)

Le’Bryan Nash, Oklahoma State (G/F, 6-7, 230, Fr., Dallas, Texas)

Austin Rivers, Duke (G, 6-4, 200, Fr., Winter Park, Fla.)

Marquis Teague, Kentucky (G, 6-2, 189, Fr., Indianapolis, Ind.)

Adonis Thomas, Memphis (F/G, 6-6, 222, Fr., Memphis, Tenn.)

Josiah Turner, Arizona (G, 6-3, 192, Fr., Sacramento, Calif.)

Cody Zeller, Indiana (F, 6-11, 230, Fr., Washington, Ind.)

I'd assume Zeller has a chance to be high up in the voting at the end of the year, simply because he's going to be the best player and focal point of his team. Admittedly, I don't know enough about the teams of the other players on this list to know if that's true for others as well. Also, the fact that he's the best player on the team could possibly hurt him, since teams will focus on him more.

While Zeller is likely the best player on IU this year, Watford is probably the better scorer right now. Two more years experience, and he'll be able to take a more natural role (out on the wing, instead almost exclusively playing the 4/5) with Zeller here.

Of course, I could care less what individual awards Zeller (or any other Hoosier) wins, as long as the team plays well and improves significantly over last year.

It'll be Rivers or Drummond IMO

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 11:13 PM)
I'm going to ask because as much as I should be in tune with Purdue, I'm not. Would Purdue's chances rest mostly on Robbie Hummel's health and effectiveness? Do they have enough behind him if he isn't the player he once was.

I would definitely say yes. I've heard he looks pretty good in practice already though. The question will be can he get his own shot after injury and with the double teams he's going to face without EM and JJ.