2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 11:30 PM)
But please, keep throwing those records of Crean and Weber out. Heck, Crean even split with Weber last year.

Stats are like a god damn chick in a bikini. They show a lot, but not the whole damn picture.

Homer alert, does Crean pay you to post on message boards? :lolhitting

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 03:07 AM)
Homer alert, does Crean pay you to post on message boards? :lolhitting

Hardly, I'd be more than willing to get rid of him if this team collapses like it did last season. I just fail to see the logic in counting his first two years at Indiana.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 10:58 PM)
Yes, that makes sense. We should definitely judge Crean by how many games he won his first two years at IU with walk on's and 2-3 star non top 150 players that he scrapped together at the last possible second. That makes a lot of sense compared to Bruces roster of top 150 players. Are you f***ing kidding me? Like I said, last year was disapointing. This year was supposed to be a "bubble" type of year. We sit 15-4 with the best two wins in the country. Once again, are you f***ing kidding me?

Crean said himself his first year. "If I had known this situation beforehand, I would have never left Marquette". I honestly still cannot even believe you included those two years. Now please, explain to me how Bo Ryan would have won with Tijan Jobe and Brett Finklemyer leading the team. Please, enlighten me.

Davidson disagrees with that. And two other teams have beat OSU at home as well.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)
Hardly, I'd be more than willing to get rid of him if this team collapses like it did last season. I just fail to see the logic in counting his first two years at Indiana.

After this season, this alum will be very angry if Crean is replaced, no matter what happens the rest of the year.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 12:28 AM)
Crean had bad recruits for two years? He had practically 0 of his own recruits for two years. You do realize its hard to recruit at one school, then leave for another and keep recruiting the same kids (ones who are not good enough for a school like Indiana in the first place) and convince them this is the school for you, even though you just left the one you were recruiting them too....

Oh man, it's not just that either...he also had 3 years of lost scholarships to contend with, a roster with no seniors for 3 years, and for his first 2 years, he was basically recruiting people with the understanding that they might get lucky enough to make the tourney once in the next 3 years.

Crean was in an utterly untenable position when he came in. Anything he pulled off out of those 2 years that was useful is practically a miracle.

I dont care if Crean was coaching with little sisters of the poor players, it doesnt change the fact in his entire coaching career he has 1 conference title and it was in the American conference. Bruce Weber had success at SIU where he finished #1 back to back years and went to the NCAA including a sweet 16.

Were those Self's recruits? Because Weber was at SIU for 5 years, so Im not sure how Self recruiting at Illinois helped him at SIU.

You can believe that Crean is a better coach, thats a subjective statement.

But if you say Crean "has done more than Weber", an objective statement, that is just false. Weber has more wins, more conference titles, better winning percentage, more NCAA appearances.

Your right stats are like bikinis, they dont show everything. But if the stats show shes a fat girl wearing a bikini, the chances that she is skinny under the bikini are pretty damn low. And then when you add to that the fact that there are basically NO STATS that SUPPORT CREAN HAS DONE MORE THAN WEBER, it seems to an objective observer that this is Indiana homerism at its finest.

Neither Weber or Crean are my coach, so as an outside observer its kind of hilarious to read the excuses.

Honestly, I have no idea how good of a coach Weber is, I really haven't paid attention the last few years. All I know is that surviving the last 3 years for IU as a coach and building a program that has a future, from where they started with, is d*mn near a miracle, and I'm going to defend that guy for a long time for doing so.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
Oh man, it's not just that either...he also had 3 years of lost scholarships to contend with, a roster with no seniors for 3 years, and for his first 2 years, he was basically recruiting people with the understanding that they might get lucky enough to make the tourney once in the next 3 years.

Crean was in an utterly untenable position when he came in. Anything he pulled off out of those 2 years that was useful is practically a miracle.

While I agree with you and He Gawn that counting Crean's first two years against isn't really fair, it also isn't fair to say that means Crean is better because "Weber didn't have to deal with that" because we don't know for sure what Weber would have done in the same situation.

If the question is, "Which coach (between Crean and Weber) has accomplished more?" then the answer is Weber, no doubt. As Soxbadger pointed out, it's not really close.

Now if the question is, "Which coach would you rather have right now?" the answer (to me) is Crean. That's an entirely different question, and one that's much more arguable.

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)
Fair enough. And Balta, I'm probably with you on the next year point too. I'm just saying, if they collapse and end up in the NIT, it will be extremely hard to take. Don't see that happening though.

Would be stunned, but not furious. Don't care, the KY and OSU wins were reward enough for this season.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)
Fair enough. And Balta, I'm probably with you on the next year point too. I'm just saying, if they collapse and end up in the NIT, it will be extremely hard to take. Don't see that happening though.

It's not that unlikely. Before the Nebraska loss, give or take 10-8 was the expected conference record. That still could be true, but getting a winning record in the Big Ten won't be easy for IU. 9-9 probably gets them in on the strength of their quality wins and a few extra spots this year, but 8-10 really shouldn't. It's certainly possible.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 02:31 PM)
It's not that unlikely. Before the Nebraska loss, give or take 10-8 was the expected conference record. That still could be true, but getting a winning record in the Big Ten won't be easy for IU. 9-9 probably gets them in on the strength of their quality wins and a few extra spots this year, but 8-10 really shouldn't. It's certainly possible.

Nebraska is such a vortex of nonsensical basketball that they are sucking the rest of the Big Ten down to their level.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 02:40 PM)
This is why Baylor is absolutely no threat to go all the way. Good teams will punish them.

Haith is destroying Drew in the coaching department. I'll give you some credit on that. I'm just wondering where Jones is.

This is the most fun I've had watching a college basketball game since Mizzou beat Memphis in the Sweet 16 in 09. Phil Pressey is putting on a SHOW.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)
Haith is destroying Drew in the coaching department. I'll give you some credit on that. I'm just wondering where Jones is.

This is the most fun I've had watching a college basketball game since Mizzou beat Memphis in the Sweet 16 in 09. Phil Pressey is putting on a SHOW.

If Bill Self (or Bruce Weber or Tom Crean) was coaching Baylor they could very well be #1.