2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Mizzou certainly looks like a contender for everything all of a sudden. Even up until this game it was hard to see them winning the Big 12 or making a Final 4 because of their lack of depth inside. However, if you can win at Baylor (coaching aside) you can beat just about anyone IMO.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 03:08 PM)
Unless Illinois wins its next 3 I may actually root for Illinois to have a bad finish to the season so that there is no doubt at all in Mike Thomas's mind that Weber should be fired.

Just got done finishing the game (had it taped). Not at all surprised they lost. You have your typical bad road loss, and today was the typical home loss under Weber. At least they finally decided to throw the ball to Leonard a good amount. Credit Wisconsin for hitting a lot of timely three's, especially in the last 5-7 minutes.

I can't decide if I agree with you about them tanking the remainder of the season. I have this irrational hope that they make a decent run in March and Leonard gets convinced that another year won't hurt his draft stock (i.e., Sullinger). Another year with these guys, no Sam, Abrams with more experience, etc. etc, maybe they can be a contender next year in the Big Ten. If Weber and crew leave, the whole program goes into shambles for a season or two (or more). All of the Chicago recruiting pipelines with Howard go to Kentucky (or wherever he ends up).

After the PSU game I was all for him getting fired. But after talking with some friends and getting my anger out, really we're sort of stuck. Who else could Illinois get that would be better? And what about recruiting? He's in on a lot of top guys from Illinois in 2013 and 2014. Better be damned sure we can keep those lines open. I think after this year Thomas has to make a change. Get rid of Mclain and Price. Hire some good assistants that might be able to take over in a season or two. Illinois needs a transition, not a straight up change.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 06:26 PM)
Leonard gets convinced that another year won't hurt his draft stock (i.e., Sullinger).

This isn't just for Leonard, but for anyone this year -- they won't have the scepter of a lockout hanging over everything, which I think would lead more players to declare.