2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 12:08 AM)
Watching Evansville is so draining. Having moved away I don't get to see them very often. But having grown up with the program, being friends with many players while in school - including current head coach Marty Simmons - it kills me when they struggle. They have a lot of obstacles to face compared to the other programs they are facing, yet it can be done. It's tough when the proverbial deck is stacked against you and the margin for error is extremely small.

How has Sawvell looked? I see he plays a lot. He was fun in high school.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 08:04 AM)
How has Sawvell looked? I see he plays a lot. He was fun in high school.

Good question. I had to look him up. He looked pretty good last night and I couldn't remember him so I was scratching my head. He's played a lot more lately, averaging just under 20 min/game. He only played 2 minutes against Butler, none against IU and mop up time against UNC, which are the only three games I had seen this year until last night. He's averaging 5.7 pts and 3.2 reb. Fouled out late in the game last night, but had 11 pts, 6 reb.

What do you think his potential is? Obviously he is thin and adding bulk and strength will be important, but tell me what else you know about him.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 08:32 AM)
Evansville got a nice commit last night from Ernie Duncan of Evansville. There's 4 brothers, and he might be the "least heralded" one, as he's the oldest (2014). Could have a team of Duncans by 2016.

Nice, I hadn't heard that. I've heard of him and knew there was more than one Duncan, but didn't know there were 4. Not sure how good he is in terms of DI talent, but Marty Simmons' son (Blake?) has been a primary player since his freshman year. He's 2014 as well. Too bad they won't find a way to steal Jaquan Lyle. lol

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 08:41 AM)
LOL @ Meyers Leonard, that's inexcusable. I'm starting to get excited to see who will coach Illini basketball next season. Hopefully the new coach can convince Leonard to stay one more year.

If you're laughing at the foul on Leonard, Brandon Paul got him too. He made just as dumb of a swipe at the ball and got a good piece of arm and could have just as easily been called for the foul.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
If you're laughing at the foul on Leonard, Brandon Paul got him too. He made just as dumb of a swipe at the ball and got a good piece of arm and could have just as easily been called for the foul.

Wow, I didn't even see that, that makes it worse. As soon as they crossed the 3-point line, stand still with your hands straight up.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)
I cant imagine Leonard saying in college, even if he does nothing the guy still likely goes in the top 15.

Yeah, and I just read a story about his personal life. His dad died at a young age, his mom is unable to work due to injury, and his brother is serving in Afghanistan. I would think his family could use the NBA money soon.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 12:21 PM)
Wow, I didn't even see that, that makes it worse. As soon as they crossed the 3-point line, stand still with your hands straight up.

Or get the hell away and let him score!

Yeah, and I just read a story about his personal life. His dad died at a young age, his mom is unable to work due to injury, and his brother is serving in Afghanistan. I would think his family could use the NBA money soon.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 11:16 AM)
Good question. I had to look him up. He looked pretty good last night and I couldn't remember him so I was scratching my head. He's played a lot more lately, averaging just under 20 min/game. He only played 2 minutes against Butler, none against IU and mop up time against UNC, which are the only three games I had seen this year until last night. He's averaging 5.7 pts and 3.2 reb. Fouled out late in the game last night, but had 11 pts, 6 reb.

What do you think his potential is? Obviously he is thin and adding bulk and strength will be important, but tell me what else you know about him.

I think he can be a solid MVC player. Definitely needs muscle mass but is very athletic around the bucket. As lOng as he gets stronger, he'll be fine.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 07:04 PM)
Bracketbusters announced today, headlined by Murray State-SMC. Wanted to see Creighton-SMC but I won't complain. Should be a fun weekend as there are a ton of good mids this season.

I just want you to know that Anthony Booker is 10-15 from behind the arc in conference play. 5-9 against Kansas. Also helped shut down Thomas Robinson.

Apparently you guys did not let him shoot enough threes.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 11:14 PM)
Was there any doubt a Rick Barnes team would fail to execute in the final possession there?

I'm not too familiar with Barnes but I'm guess thats the norm for Texas in the final possession? If so, I guess that's who Haith got it from when he was at Miami.

Good for Haith though. I'm sure he's learning a lot from having better assistants this year but from all accounts he was a really nice/good guy and it's nice to see him having success.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 10:20 PM)
I'm not too familiar with Barnes but I'm guess thats the norm for Texas in the final possession? If so, I guess that's who Haith got it from when he was at Miami.

Good for Haith though. I'm sure he's learning a lot from having better assistants this year but from all accounts he was a really nice/good guy and it's nice to see him having success.

Not final possession as much as brutal in-game coaching. For all of Texas' talent they have had very limited success, especially recently. He couldn't even make the second weekend with Kevin Durant!

That said, Haith's decision to slow Missouri down on the offensive end was brutal and cost them the lead. This is a team used to running that's good in the half court set. Don't limit them on the shot clock and force them to hold the ball. Let them play and you'll win.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 11:38 PM)
That said, Haith's decision to slow Missouri down on the offensive end was brutal and cost them the lead. This is a team used to running that's good in the half court set. Don't limit them on the shot clock and force them to hold the ball. Let them play and you'll win.

That is Haith. There were so many times Miami would race out to a lot of points and good size leads only to start trying to milk the clock in the final 5-7 minutes and blow it. Almost like he played not to lose once Miami would get a lead down the stretch. In college, you need to keep your foot on the gas because you never know what will happen when you get out of rhythm and try to drain the clock.

From the sound of Musburger, you guys arent running much zone this year? That's literally all Miami did under Haith.

That was a really good win for Mizzou. I was really hoping denmon would break out of his slump, but to win in texas with Ratliffe in foul trouble most of the game and denmon ice cold on the road in Texas showed a lot of character. Without ratliffe we have no rebounding, Moore is okay at it, but hes more to stuff the lane.

So, chances Illinois pulls off another upset of a top ten team at home? I'm going with 45%. I think it'll be close. They've split their games the last two years (home team winning). So long as Illinois plays physical they should stay in it until the end. Hopefully Maniscalco and Griffey play zero minutes.