2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 08:21 PM)
I missed most of the game, but caught the last 5 minutes or so and he called the Henry carry violation "a great call". I mean, it's a carry violation. I don't know what was so special about it. And when Brandon Paul got fouled at the end he said Paul was lucky to get the call as it was happening. Maybe it's true, but I didn't hear him say things about the Spartans.

And how is it paranoia? It was just a question/observation.

I'm sure it's in reference to Illini fans "always" calling out refs, complaining about the seeding they get, etc.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Boogua @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:21 AM)
I missed most of the game, but caught the last 5 minutes or so and he called the Henry carry violation "a great call". I mean, it's a carry violation. I don't know what was so special about it. And when Brandon Paul got fouled at the end he said Paul was lucky to get the call as it was happening. Maybe it's true, but I didn't hear him say things about the Spartans.

And how is it paranoia? It was just a question/observation.

It's not you Boogua, it's just that so man Illini fan seems to think every ref and announcer hates them. Heck, Bardo has done some of their games in the past, and when Lavin used to do games, he couldn't have praised Weber more. I feel bad for Big 10 fans who haven't had the pleasure of having their team face Duke with Vitale doing the game.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 08:23 PM)
It's not you Boogua, it's just that so man Illini fan seems to think every ref and announcer hates them. Heck, Bardo has done some of their games in the past, and when Lavin used to do games, he couldn't have praised Weber more. I feel bad for Big 10 fans who haven't had the pleasure of having their team face Duke with Vitale doing the game.

I always theorized that Vitale's voice would always go out because he sucked on Coach K's dick too much during the game.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:26 AM)
Fathom,

Vitale is terrible with any blue blood program (UNC, Duke, etc)

Or maybe Vitale is just terrible because now that I think about it he also loves underdogs or any other reason to scream.

UNC is NOTHING compared to Duke when it comes to Vitale's annoying announcing. Of course, I'm also of the opinion that anyone who dislikes watching a game that Gus Johnson is announcing should quit watching sports.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 08:37 PM)
I do believe the Illini fans here have toned down the complaining, etc, since they started getting called out on it more.

Agreed.

To whoever said (I think it was Boogua) a lot of Illini fans don't do that, you're probably right...but for a long time on this board, every Illinois lost brought an avalanche of complaining about the refs (and not every Illini poster was doing that, but enough to be noticeable). Brian is right though, it's gotten better.

I do believe the Illini fans here have toned down the complaining, etc, since they started getting called out on it more.

I have noticed that too, but I think the inadequacies of the offense may be contributing to that too. It's hard to complain ask for fouls when your offense consists of passing the ball around until your guard shoots a 3 with the shot clock running out.

Luckily for my eyes, I avoided the game, but with another top 10 win, looks like the Illini should be a tourney team. With road games left @ OSU, UM, IU, UW, no guarantee they finish over .500 in the conference though. It's tough to fire a coach after a tourney appearance, but with the new AD you never know.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 09:25 PM)
It's seriously awful. I'm sure chimpy, zen and palehose would agree with me.

But its Duke Baby! The Cameron Crazies! Coach K! Unbelievable Baby!

I can tolerate him doing any game that doesnt involve Duke. but when Coach K is 30ft away, Dickie V cant help but cream his pants for the next 2 hours.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 09:26 PM)
Fathom,

Vitale is terrible with any blue blood program (UNC, Duke, etc)

Or maybe Vitale is just terrible because now that I think about it he also loves underdogs or any other reason to scream.

He was going crazy when Florida St smoked UNC. He was taking pictures with his cell with the one FSU player from his commentators booth.

That is funny. I was at the game as I said so I couldn't hear it, but just a short few weeks ago Tirico was accused of homering up MSU and I believe it was DeadSpin who had an article on it. Maybe boogua was onto something, or else he just remembers that article.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 08:27 PM)
Of course, I'm also of the opinion that anyone who dislikes watching a game that Gus Johnson is announcing should quit watching sports.

In fairness, Gus is over the top when it's the beginning or middle of the game. No one better in sports for the last few minutes of a close game though.

I think it is more they quit posting during the games, which probably stems from frustration.