2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 12:19 PM)
So, if Illinois loses to Purdue at home tonight, grounds to fire Weber? 7 losses in the last 8 games?

No way he gets fired before the end of the season. I don't see much of a point in letting Howard or someone else coach the last 5 games. Did you see this quote?

Just in case, Weber has a Plan B.

He said he will ask the Big Ten to appeal to the NCAA selection committee about an overtime loss Jan. 28 at Minnesota, where he believes officials mishandled the end of the game when Meyers Leonard was called for a controversial fifth foul.

"You get a win there, it's a difference in where we're at," Weber said. "The end of the year they always ask for special situations to consider, did you have an injury, did you have this or that."

Are you f***ing kidding me?

1. That was a foul. His arms were slanted down on top of him, making contact while the ball was being released.

2. Even if that wasn't a foul, the fact that your players put themselves in that position should make it count as a loss anyway.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 12:31 PM)
What's the worse that can happen? They keep losing?

I get your point, I just don't see it working as well when dealing with college kids, as opposed to a pro team. Unless you plan on hiring Howard next year (hope not)

I see now where Weber said that thing about the Minnesota game. What an insecure loser. That is one of the lamest statements I've ever read from a professional/collegiate coach. I just read where Chad Qualls stated that he shouldn't be charged with giving up Konerko's home run in Game 2 of the World Series because Dye wasn't hit by a pitch, and that it should have been a foul ball.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 01:44 PM)
I see now where Weber said that thing about the Minnesota game. What an insecure loser. That is one of the lamest statements I've ever read from a professional/collegiate coach. I just read where Chad Qualls stated that he shouldn't be charged with giving up Konerko's home run in Game 2 of the World Series because Dye wasn't hit by a pitch, and that it should have been a foul ball.

He is done mentally and it is clear based on Thomas's comments that Weber is going to get fired.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 07:53 PM)
He is done mentally and it is clear based on Thomas's comments that Weber is going to get fired.

Yep, anyone and everyone with inside sources seems to be saying that even a Sweet 16 run won't keep him around.

The ironic thing about Weber complaining about that Minnesota call is that it was still a close enough play to be called a foul on Leonard. There's significantly worse calls made in each game than that one. Weber reminds me of Hawk Harrelson here.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 01:59 PM)
The ironic thing about Weber complaining about that Minnesota call is that it was still a close enough play to be called a foul on Leonard. There's significantly worse calls made in each game than that one. Weber reminds me of Hawk Harrelson here.

I thought it was a bad call (particularly in that situation where refs are taught to be absolutely certain that a foul was committed and the ref that made the call wasn't in position to see if there was a foul or not) but Leonard needs to either foul the Minnesota player hard and make sure he doesn't get off a shot or just back away and give up the layup. Never put college refs in a position to make a call because they will almost certainly get it wrong. But even if it wasn't a foul, that isn't why Weber's job is in jeopardy and why Illinois may not make the tourney. Have more than one good season out of six and don't significantly underachieve for 3 straight seasons and Illinois isn't in this mess to begin with.

My dream scenario at this point is for Illinois to make the tourney but for Weber to be fired the day after the Big 10 tournament. I want nothing to do with risking a miracle Elite 8 run that could save his job. And as unlikely as that is, as we have seen the last couple of years, with the top teams in college basketball generally being very beatable, anything can happen.

Lose tonight and it's probably the last nail in the coffin.

Appealing a judgment call is silly. If it was something where a clock expired, or something technical like that, then that could be legit. A foul call like that isn't anywhere near that.

It's just so desperate, and even if it was a bad call (which I'm not saying it is), that wasn't even the main issue on the play.

Whew. I'll take it.

As much as he angers me most of the time, I'll give VJ3 his props tonight. Only 6 points, but each of his 3 buckets came right when IU really needed it, not to mention he hasn't played in two weeks. Clutch.

Also, I can't decide who I want to lose more in this game, but I decided to root for Illinois in this one. (That's option 1b. 1a is the stadium blowing up.)

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 07:27 PM)
f***in cats. So damn close again.

It's their thing: play just well enough to think they might get over the hump and make the tourney, only to run out of gas in 3 or 4 close games against quality opponents and finish with their usual 7 conference wins.

Northwestern isn't dead yet either, though to be honest the death of Illinois hurts the cats chances. NW has really strong power numbers, if they can go 3-2 with one of those wins being OSU they're going to get in even with a below .500 record, not likely I know but possible. And if they go 4-1 they're in as well. It's going to be a struggle for them but they're no where near dead.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 08:42 PM)
Northwestern isn't dead yet either, though to be honest the death of Illinois hurts the cats chances. NW has really strong power numbers, if they can go 3-2 with one of those wins being OSU they're going to get in even with a below .500 record, not likely I know but possible. And if they go 4-1 they're in as well. It's going to be a struggle for them but they're no where near dead.

Out of Illinois, Minnesota and Northwestern, it looks like they all have a chance to earn it, but the road looks tough.