2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 08:42 PM)
I realize its a tough league but it's tough seeing any team with a 5-8 conference record after tonight having a great shot, but maybe I'm missing something.

I hate to throw your Clones under the bus again but compare ISU's resume to Northwestern's...

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 05:59 PM)
So apparently SDSU is an underdog tonight at home vs. New Mexico. For any betters out there SDSU is an absolute lock.

The numbers love New Mexico. KenPom has UNM 12 and SDSU 55. That said, SDSU did win at UNM so I tend to think you're right.

So I was curious as to how Maniscalco has actually done (numbers wise). Since the weak part of the schedule ended (beginning with the Gonzaga game), he is 18 for 79 for the field (22.7%) in 15 games. I knew it was bad, but Jesus... I guess Weber had him out there for his defense though.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 04:40 AM)
Shaka Smart, your table is ready.

Is the key for the next Illini coach recruiting Chicago?

Will that be the key for Shaka returning the Illini to greatness?

Will the Public League coaches embrace Shaka? It seems sometimes the Illini coach relationships with Public League talent is not good.

And other area talent. Wouldn't NW's Sobelewski of Benet and Boatright of Aurora look good in Illini colors?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Boogua @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 10:52 PM)
So I was curious as to how Maniscalco has actually done (numbers wise). Since the weak part of the schedule ended (beginning with the Gonzaga game), he is 18 for 79 for the field (22.7%) in 15 games. I knew it was bad, but Jesus... I guess Weber had him out there for his defense though.

To be fair to Maniscalco, he re-injured the ankle in the St. Bonaventure game and has been playing (incredibly poorly) on one leg since. It isn't his fault that Weber keeps playing him when he has no chance to succeed.

Also, if anyone heard Weber's press conference after the game today he already knows he is being fired. I actually wish Thomas would just do it now and appoint an assistant just to get it done and to let the players play loose down the stretch. Also, Weber also basically confirmed that he has been coaching not to lose the last few years and that the pressure of the job got to him.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 11:51 PM)
Is the key for the next Illini coach recruiting Chicago?

Will that be the key for Shaka returning the Illini to greatness?

Will the Public League coaches embrace Shaka? It seems sometimes the Illini coach relationships with Public League talent is not good.

And other area talent. Wouldn't NW's Sobelewski of Benet and Boatright of Aurora look good in Illini colors?

Unless Illinois was going to cheat, they weren't going to land Boatright.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 10:26 PM)
Abrams playing a hell of a game for Illinois

He is a lot like Chester Frazier just with a lot more offensive ability. He needs to really get in the gym and work on his jumper but he can get to the rim and finish and is a bulldog on D. Love that kid.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 10:58 PM)
To be fair to Maniscalco, he re-injured the ankle in the St. Bonaventure game and has been playing (incredibly poorly) on one leg since. It isn't his fault that Weber keeps playing him when he has no chance to succeed.

Oh, I completely agree that it isn't Sam's fault that he's playing so much. He's obviously a competitor and feels like he can help the team. The fact is that he can't at this point. The blame is all on Weber. He did the same thing with Bill Cole last year and this year he did it with Sam. He tends to go with the "experienced" and the "safe (much less turnover prone)" too often.

Like Weber even said in his press conference: He was coaching not to lose. I think playing Sam extended minutes, when the guy isn't capable, is clearly indicative of that.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 12:12 AM)
Weber is on a roll right now with just pathetic comments. He threw the entire team under the bus tonight. Just a despicable postgame press conference.

This is the main reason he should be fired tomorrow and not after the season. He is a beaten man. Just end it now, let the assistants take over and maybe they actually play the freshmen more, the players play loose, make the NCAA tourney and maybe even win a game or two.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 12:22 AM)
SDSU gets smacked at home to UNM and the numbers (and Vegas) laugh in Justin's face.

So THAT'S why Justin isn't working in Vegas. Hope we hear from him soon. I fear his bookie may have gotten to him.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 11:32 PM)
This is the main reason he should be fired tomorrow and not after the season. He is a beaten man. Just end it now, let the assistants take over and maybe they actually play the freshmen more, the players play loose, make the NCAA tourney and maybe even win a game or two.

I was firmly in the camp that thought Thomas should let him coach out the season. But after hearing about that press conference last night, how do you let him stick around? How are the players gonna feel to be around him? You know it's bad when the Score spends a huge chunk of time in the morning talking Illini basketball.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 12:22 AM)
SDSU gets smacked at home to UNM and the numbers (and Vegas) laugh in Justin's face.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 04:38 AM)
So THAT'S why Justin isn't working in Vegas. Hope we hear from him soon. I fear his bookie may have gotten to him.

Haha, EVERYTIME I call something a lock the opposite ends up happening, funny stuff.