2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 10:52 PM)
Jay Bilas really pulling for Ohio State it seems. Loves to slam the Big Ten in general too.

Watching these games can be absolutely brutal at times. I'm sure the style of play is a reason but these refs just kill the game from an entertainment aspect. Watching defenses mug their opponents isnt that appealing. It's time to start calling fouls and open up these games some.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 09:52 PM)
Jay Bilas really pulling for Ohio State it seems. Loves to slam the Big Ten in general too.

Felt the same way but it was a pretty poorly officiated game both ways. Oh well.

Love seeing Mad Thad.

Guys I hate like Douglass and Novak actually hitting big shots.

Still not high on Michigan but Trey Burke could be better than Manny Harris and Darius Morris. Hope he stays awhile.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 19, 2012 -> 09:17 AM)
Watched the end of regulation and OT of Dayton/Xavier last night. Dillard was pretty good.

No way! He is a cancer! Just ask Lowery. You can replace guys like that with JUCOs, no big deal

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 19, 2012 -> 06:53 AM)
P.S. Doug McDermott doesn't belond in the MVC.

He belongs at Northern Iowa haha. He signed there when his dad was coaching Iowa State, but after his dad left and went to Creighton he wanted out of his scholarship from UNI and they let him out.

Watching Dough McDermott and Harrison Barnes play together in high school was pretty awesome.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 19, 2012 -> 08:12 AM)
After the Webber and McDermott failures I've learned not to talk up Valley coaches but Marshall has definitely done a fantastic job at Wichita and Winthrop.

I think Gregg Marshall is a fantastic coach. The last Valley coach I was really a fan of was his predecessor, Turgeon.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 19, 2012 -> 05:06 PM)
I think Gregg Marshall is a fantastic coach. The last Valley coach I was really a fan of was his predecessor, Turgeon.

Ya there has been plenty of Valley coaches that have succeeded in the big 6 like Turgeon, Painter, Altman has done a very good job at Oregon so far, just ironic how McDermott and Bruce are failing/have failed at two schools that have a fan base on this site.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 10:16 PM)
Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall

Thanks, I'm not much of a mid-major guy.

After the two trustees spoke out about the football hire, I wonder how much race will matter. Thomas offered the job to Sumlin, but since he didn't accept it didnt count. If Shaka Smart says no, I wonder who the other favorites for the job will be.

Man, Hulls has looked awful of late. Oladipo making comments that this one is on him and he's needs to step up. Nice to see from a sophomore with unlimited potential. The way this kid works, he can be an absolute star. Time to start playing like it, you too Watford.

Yeaaaah....Hawkeyes. I know they won't go to the big dance but man, this is a significant improvement over last years squad. Hopefully they can pick up one more conference win. That would be pretty big. The program seems to be on the way up, especially with the strong recruiting class they had this past year (strong by Iowa standards).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 09:57 AM)
Yeaaaah....Hawkeyes. I know they won't go to the big dance but man, this is a significant improvement over last years squad. Hopefully they can pick up one more conference win. That would be pretty big. The program seems to be on the way up, especially with the strong recruiting class they had this past year (strong by Iowa standards).

Sounds like next year Iowa and Iowa State have cancelled their home-and-home's with UNI and Drake.

Iowa and Iowa State will continue their home-and-home, but they will play UNI and Drake in a "Big Four" event at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines.

I'm disappointed that Iowa State and Iowa aren't willing to go to Cedar Falls or the Knapp Center in Des Moines anymore.

I haven't gotten to watch them, but this UNM team is intriguing to me. Looking ready to run away with the MWC over UNLV and SDSU. I've seen them have some good teams, but I can't remember any in recent memory at this level. Alford has apparently done some magic since going there.

Anyone seen them yet? What makes this team tick?

Weird that two of their four losses were home against NMSU and neutral court against a horrible Santa Clara team.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 10:33 PM)
I haven't gotten to watch them, but this UNM team is intriguing to me. Looking ready to run away with the MWC over UNLV and SDSU. I've seen them have some good teams, but I can't remember any in recent memory at this level. Alford has apparently done some magic since going there.

Ken Pom loves them so you're not alone in realizing this recently. I'll have to watch them myself.