2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not normally anti-mid-major, but I'm going to get highly annoyed if NU loses out on a bid to someone like Iona that choked and didn't beat anyone all year (though if NU loses to Minnesota it's their own damn fault).

Everything I've seen says that NU is in as long as they beat Minnesota and don't lose by too much to Michigan.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 4, 2012 -> 09:00 PM)
My problem is determining what a "more deserving mid-major team" looks like when they don't play anyone (Iona) or do the exact same thing that teams like NU and UConn have done when they play real opponents (Long Beach State).

Well that's obviously the hard part. And I agree about Iona.

But what about a team like Colorado State? They've got 2 wins against ranked teams, 3-4 against top 50, they're 19-10 in an MWC that is tougher than usual. Their SOS per Sagarin is 61st out of 300, way better than a lot of other teams on the bubble. Compare that to a UConn team who has only one win against a ranked team, only 18 wins overall, 4-7 against top 50, and UConn is on the down trend. The only plus for them I see is an 18th SOS overall vs CSU's 61st. Which of those teams would you choose? Seems like a really tough call, but I'd lean towards CSU.

Also, let's compare some major-conf teams to NU. Texas is interesting and similar... Texas is 19-12, 1-8 against top 25, 3-10 against top 50, SOS is 15th. NU is 18-12, same against top 25 as Texas, but 1-10 against top 50. SOS per Sagarin is 7th. Don't you have to give the edge to Texas there? Obviously it depends on how each does in their conference tournament.

I'm a Northwestern fan, but I think it's a joke that they're still getting consideration. They certainly fail the eye test. This team looks no different than anything they've had the past couple years of NIT teams. A losing record in conference would be an automatic out for me. Not to mention, they've blown so many close games that it's their own fault for not having a respectable resume. I think they have to beat Michigan.

I'm a Northwestern fan, but I think it's a joke that they're still getting consideration. They certainly fail the eye test.

Some teams that fail the eye test will get into the tournament, unless they cut the tournament back to 58 teams.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 5, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)
I'm a Northwestern fan, but I think it's a joke that they're still getting consideration. They certainly fail the eye test. This team looks no different than anything they've had the past couple years of NIT teams. A losing record in conference would be an automatic out for me. Not to mention, they've blown so many close games that it's their own fault for not having a respectable resume. I think they have to beat Michigan.

It does look a lot like 09/10 on paper. That said, as Huskers pointed out, the bubble looks pretty weak and there are 3 more bids now. And yeah, they definitely have theirselves to blame if they fall short given the multiple shots for more wins.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 12:12 AM)
anyone bother to watch the Davidson-Western Carolina 2OT thriller? Awesome game.

Most definitely. Was rooting hard for Davidson, I'm tired of Mids with a chance to win a game or possibly two lose in their conference tourney's, we already have a solid group eliminated: Iona, ORU, MTSU and and Denver. Hopefully Nate Wolters can hold it down and get SDSU into the big dance tonight.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
So... Drexel? At Large bid, or no?

I think they get it. They have a stronger case than VCU last year and we saw what they did, There are a lot of mediocre BCS schools again and the NCAA rewarding some of the smaller schools paid off last year. I think there is pressure on them right now to include those kind of schools and Drexel, although they don't have a great resume, probably passes the eye test. I'm gonna say they get in, and they also avoid the first round game as well.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 02:45 PM)
I think they get it. They have a stronger case than VCU last year and we saw what they did, There are a lot of mediocre BCS schools again and the NCAA rewarding some of the smaller schools paid off last year. I think there is pressure on them right now to include those kind of schools and Drexel, although they don't have a great resume, probably passes the eye test. I'm gonna say they get in, and they also avoid the first round game as well.

I personally think Iona's and ORU's resume are better than Drexel's but the committee has made a point of rewarding the CAA champion it seems.