2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Washington loses in the 1st round to Oregon State. They were the #1 seed in the tournament. They won the PAC-12 regular season, but couldn't win a game in the tourney, and their SOS is terrible. I just read they have beaten 1 team in the RPI top 75. They may be out now, certainly they are at least on the bubble.

San Diego State narrowly escapes the same fate as Washington, pulled it out at the end against a 13-17 Boise State team. Me thinks they were looking ahead a bit.

ETA: Just saw the replay, the game was tied just before the buzzer, and SDSU made a falling down, prayer 3-pointer to win it as time expired. Damn.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 8, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
Washington loses in the 1st round to Oregon State. They were the #1 seed in the tournament. They won the PAC-12 regular season, but couldn't win a game in the tourney, and their SOS is terrible. I just read they have beaten 1 team in the RPI top 75. They may be out now, certainly they are at least on the bubble.

San Diego State narrowly escapes the same fate as Washington, pulled it out at the end against a 13-17 Boise State team. Me thinks they were looking ahead a bit.

ETA: Just saw the replay, the game was tied just before the buzzer, and SDSU made a falling down, prayer 3-pointer to win it as time expired. Damn.

Washington just killed me since I had them at -3. Hope they are left crying come Sunday night.

Some kid on Washington missed 2 FTs while down 2 with like 40 seconds left then he turned around and missed 2 more with 17 seconds left and trailing 85-83.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 8, 2012 -> 04:44 PM)
Washington just killed me since I had them at -3. Hope they are left crying come Sunday night.

Some kid on Washington missed 2 FTs while down 2 with like 40 seconds left then he turned around and missed 2 more with 17 seconds left and trailing 85-83.

They were down 1 on all 4 of those misses and it was Tony Wroten, he had a big time game, he's a big time talent and will be an nba player but that was a total choke job.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 8, 2012 -> 05:49 PM)
They were down 1 on all 4 of those misses and it was Tony Wroten, he had a big time game, he's a big time talent and will be an nba player but that was a total choke job.

ugh

couple that with GT blowing an 8 point lead late, not a good day for me account! luckily Maryland -4 was a gift.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 8, 2012 -> 04:49 PM)
PAC-12 is so weak this year. They may send only one team, potentially. Cal and Oregon play tonight. Arizona still to play too, but seem like they need to go all the way or close to it for a shot at a bid.

It's amazing, the Mountain West is better than the PAC-12 and it's not really close. Can anyone imagine the Missouri Valley being clearly better than the Big Ten for one season? That's pretty much the equivalent of what's happening out west. People don't think it's a big deal because it's happened pretty gradually, but not that long ago the PAC-10 was the deepest league for a year or two.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 12:14 AM)
It's amazing, the Mountain West is better than the PAC-12 and it's not really close. Can anyone imagine the Missouri Valley being clearly better than the Big Ten for one season? That's pretty much the equivalent of what's happening out west. People don't think it's a big deal because it's happened pretty gradually, but not that long ago the PAC-10 was the deepest league for a year or two.

Yeah it was. UCLA was making Final Four runs, Arizona was always a threat, Washington was a Sweet 16 caliber team, Arizona St was making the tournament, Stanford was a tournament team, USC had a nice couple of seasons. Even Washington St had a Sweet 16 run a few seasons ago.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 12:21 AM)
Yeah it was. UCLA was making Final Four runs, Arizona was always a threat, Washington was a Sweet 16 caliber team, Arizona St was making the tournament, Stanford was a tournament team, USC had a nice couple of seasons. Even Washington St had a Sweet 16 run a few seasons ago.

So has talent out west just dried up, or are players leaving and going elsewhere for some reason (more money, better facilities, schools too focused on football?)

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball...ccording-report

Federal authorities are investigating suspended Auburn point guard Varez Ward for alleged point shaving involving at least two games this season, Yahoo! Sports reported Thursday.

The report, citing anonymous sources, said the FBI began an investigation in late February, centering on losses to Alabama on Feb. 7 and Arkansas on Jan. 25.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 07:52 AM)
Did anyone get to see any of the Marshall-Tulsa game? Not that normally people would, except that it was 3 OVERTIMES. Must have been a fun one.

It was on cbs college sports or whatever they're calling that station now a days so someone might have saw it. I couldn't watch cause I was at the Bulls game but the whole CUSA tourney is on that station. Speaking of that tournament has been nuts so far. You mentioned the 3 ot game but USM and ECU played an ot game earlier that I did get to watch. Fun stuff.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 08:45 AM)
So has talent out west just dried up, or are players leaving and going elsewhere for some reason (more money, better facilities, schools too focused on football?)

I think it's just bad recruiting and bad coaching. There's still been talent out there staying, but teams aren't making the most of it. Washington for example.