2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

Yep, getting rave reviews, as he always has by Telep, Daniels, Bossi.... etc. Rivals said he has a chance to move into the top 15, maybe top 10 in the final rankings. Jerry Meyer was also quoted saying Hanner Perea was better than any big man in this game. After watching last night, I'd agree with him. They were awful.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 03:23 AM)
Yogi Ferrell looking studly in the McD's game. I can see him being the type of player that may only put up 8-12 points in the Big Ten season, but he'll also average 10 assists/game.

Averaging 10 assists a game in college basketball is almost impossible. Add in the fact IU plays in the Big 10 with a lot of quality defenses, and I would say it would be impossible for Ferrell to average 10 assists a game. Kendall Marshall is one of the best passers I've ever seen in college basketball, and he averaged 9.7 assists per game for a run and gun offense with NBA quality players around him.

As for the McDonald's game last night, the talent level continues to dwindle it seems. Shabazz was pretty impressive, but after that, the talent level quickly faded. Never seen so many missed dunks by players simply not elevating high enough. Scouts absolutely ripped on this class all week, saying they've never seen so few potential pros on the McD roster.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 09:07 AM)
Averaging 10 assists a game in college basketball is almost impossible. Add in the fact IU plays in the Big 10 with a lot of quality defenses, and I would say it would be impossible for Ferrell to average 10 assists a game. Kendall Marshall is one of the best passers I've ever seen in college basketball, and he averaged 9.7 assists per game for a run and gun offense with NBA quality players around him.

As for the McDonald's game last night, the talent level continues to dwindle it seems. Shabazz was pretty impressive, but after that, the talent level quickly faded. Never seen so many missed dunks by players simply not elevating high enough. Scouts absolutely ripped on this class all week, saying they've never seen so few potential pros on the McD roster.

Didn't mccamey average 13 one year?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 03:09 PM)
Didn't mccamey average 13 one year?

Most he averaged was 7.1 assists in an offense that was built to pad assist totals (so much catch and shoot, as you know).

Edited by fathom

[nobodycares]

I am actually optimistic about Barry Hinson taking over SIU after thinking about it for a while. He had a couple seasons at MSU where he was screwed out of a tournament with some pretty good teams RPI-wise(21 and 37 I believe), and just happened to be sitting behind SIU and Creighton on the tourney waiting list. He has already talked to the returning class of players and none are leaving, and it seems he has also convinced Antonio "Bobo" Drummond to honor his LOI, which for SIU is a pretty big deal. Looks like the only one leaving is the JUCO recruit Travis Wilkens, which isnt really terrible.

[/nobodycares]

This class is pretty weak after the first handful.

Admittedly, 10 was a bit too much hyperbole on my part. I'll settle for "top 5 in assists every year" which starts next year, as Crean has already said Ferrell is running the show, I think.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 09:15 AM)
[nobodycares]

I am actually optimistic about Barry Hinson taking over SIU after thinking about it for a while. He had a couple seasons at MSU where he was screwed out of a tournament with some pretty good teams RPI-wise(21 and 37 I believe), and just happened to be sitting behind SIU and Creighton on the tourney waiting list. He has already talked to the returning class of players and none are leaving, and it seems he has also convinced Antonio "Bobo" Drummond to honor his LOI, which for SIU is a pretty big deal. Looks like the only one leaving is the JUCO recruit Travis Wilkens, which isnt really terrible.

[/nobodycares]

It's the kind of hire I was expecting. Hopefully he can get things turned around and be competitive in the conference again. Hope he lets Diamond Taylor play and not jerk him around like CLo

You aren't kidding, this is easily the worst class I have seen in the last decade. Add in the massive NBA defections this season, and college basketball will be even more watered down next season. :crying

Good ole Roy is about to lose 5 guys(Marshall, Henson, Barnes, Zeller and likely McAdoo). Paypal Cal is going to purchase another insane class and own college basketball until the NCAA steps in. The NBA either needs a 2 year minimum, or get rid of the rule altogether.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
You aren't kidding, this is easily the worst class I have seen in the last decade. Add in the massive NBA defections this season, and college basketball will be even more watered down next season. :crying

Good ole Roy is about to lose 5 guys(Marshall, Henson, Barnes, Zeller and likely McAdoo). Paypal Cal is going to purchase another insane class and own college basketball until the NCAA steps in. The NBA either needs a 2 year minimum, or get rid of the rule altogether.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/774447...lege-basketball

I'm not sure I'd get down on this class too much since a bunch of the better prospects weren't there. Noel, McGary, Adams and Ledo weren't there and Pollard didn't play. I'd imagine Perea and Tarczewski are better than a bunch of the bigs that were selected too.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 09:43 PM)
I'm not sure I'd get down on this class too much since a bunch of the better prospects weren't there. Noel, McGary, Adams and Ledo weren't there and Pollard didn't play. I'd imagine Perea and Tarczewski are better than a bunch of the bigs that were selected too.

Nerleans is Anthony Davis part dos.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 09:43 PM)

McGary wouldn't have fit in the McD's game anyway. He's not that kind of player.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 10:23 AM)
ESPN Stats & Info ‏ @ESPNStatsInfo

Kentucky's Anthony Davis joins Kevin Durant (2006-07) as only the second player ever to win the AP Player of the Year award as a freshman

I'm biased, but I'm trying to be fair and reasonable. Davis is a very good player and a great defensive presence, but I just didn't see POY type performances. I saw more than the two games against IU, but those two games stick out to me. He was good, but not POY good. Personally, I think Kidd-Gilchrist is a better player.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 09:03 PM)
I'm biased, but I'm trying to be fair and reasonable. Davis is a very good player and a great defensive presence, but I just didn't see POY type performances. I saw more than the two games against IU, but those two games stick out to me. He was good, but not POY good. Personally, I think Kidd-Gilchrist is a better player.

I love ya Rex but you're just wrong here, buddy.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 09:11 PM)
I love ya Rex but you're just wrong here, buddy.

I don't love Rex because he roots for IU, but nonetheless, he is indeed wrong here.

His impact on the defensive floor is ridiculous, let alone anything on the other end.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 09:03 PM)

Even the stats disagree with you. If you want to say that MKG will be a better NBA player, then that's one thing, but Davis has easily been the POY.

Oh, in case you're interested, the NCAA has been lying to you.

If you’ve been watching the N.C.A.A. men’s basketball championship — a k a March Madness — you’ve undoubtedly seen the commercial. It’s an N.C.A.A. ad that shows college athletes pumping iron, running sprints and playing games. The voice-over, though, talks not about athletic achievement but academic accomplishment. “African-American males who are student-athletes are 10 percent more likely to graduate,” says the narrator. As the ad concludes, a female athlete looks into the camera and says, “Still think we’re just a bunch of dumb jocks?”

Is it true that black male athletes have a higher graduation rate than other students? It is not. The N.C.A.A. has created several other Orwellian concepts, such as an Academic Progress Rate, which allows it to use data to create the illusion that athletes are doing better academically than their peers.

But Richard Southall, who directs the College Sport Research Institute at the University of North Carolina — along with two colleagues, E. Woodrow Eckard of the University of Colorado-Denver and Mark Nagel at the University of South Carolina — have done rigorous studies that show the opposite. In comparing college basketball players with their true peer group — full-time college students — their data show that the athletes are 20 percent less likely to graduate than nonathletes. They also parsed the data by race: of the teams in this year’s March Madness, for instance, the black athletes are 33 percent less likely to graduate than nonathletes.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)

I think it just speaks volumes about how skilled Cody Zeller actually is. Got the best of one of the better defensive big men we've seen in some time, twice. Davis will go #1 overall this year and Zeller may just go #1 next year. He's slotted there right now, crazy.