2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 06:02 PM)
Kentucky is the perfect place for him if he is going to be one and done.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
I think he'll end up at UNC. Seems Maryland and UConn are bending the rules a bit and contacting him maybe a little too much.

Saw Shabazz Wednesday vs the Indiana Elite... Trust me, there's not a better player in the country. He's better than Rivers and is NBA ready right now. Will be an absolute star in the pros.

1.) Yes it is. Nobody can argue that UK is the place for one and dones. With it looking like the rule will not change, UK figures to get most of the one and dones.

2.) I've seen Shabazz in person. He's one of those rare guys ready for the NBA right now. I'm all for guys going to the NBA out of high school if they are the rare ones. Shabazz is one of the rare ones.

You go to any of the games farmteam? Also do you post on peegs? And yes, Hollowell is the talk of the scouts right now. Kid is absolutely blowing up right now. Saw he was drawing comparisons to a young Carmelo.

I didn't get to any of the games, and no, I'm not on peegs. I basically follow a couple of blogs (Inside the Hall and the Hoosier Scoop, which is the Bloomington Herald-Times blog). They give pretty exhaustive coverage, and sometimes I look stuff up in other places.

I'm really excited about Abell for this coming year. He sounds like a big point who can drive, which is exactly what Crean's offense needs.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 07:30 PM)
I didn't get to any of the games, and no, I'm not on peegs. I basically follow a couple of blogs (Inside the Hall and the Hoosier Scoop, which is the Bloomington Herald-Times blog). They give pretty exhaustive coverage, and sometimes I look stuff up in other places.

I'm really excited about Abell for this coming year. He sounds like a big point who can drive, which is exactly what Crean's offense needs.

Farm, do you ultimately see Jordy Hulls becoming more of a role player in the next two years or do you feel he can continue to improve as he did last year and be strong enough to lead this team to compete at the top of the Big Ten? In other words will he be good enough to delay major playing time from Abell or Ferrell the following year?

I think Hulls will definitely be the starter this year and play the most minutes on our team. Abell will spell him, like Jones has the last few years IMO. Yogi will play right away, how much depends on how much Hulls continues to improve. Having Yogi and Hulls in at the same time would create a ton of shots for Jordan.

Another note on Jeremy Hollowell. Most are saying if he continues his play of late (which I see no reason now that he's healthy and showing some grit he won't), that he will end up being a top 25 player and move into 5 star range. Kid has been unbelievable. Makes Gary Harris even more of a luxury piece.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
I wish more college athletes were like Jared Sullinger regarding staying in school.

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/07/06/11/Sull...amp;feedID=9467

I know he said he'd stay...but he said he'd stay when everyone has known for what, 5 years, that he'd be locked out of the NBA this year if he turned pro?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)
I know he said he'd stay...but he said he'd stay when everyone has known for what, 5 years, that he'd be locked out of the NBA this year if he turned pro?

And? Does that diminish his attitude? First when he said he was staying everyone was saying he's lying, now you cant accept his words for the truth. Maybe the kid just meant what he said, that he wanted to be a college kid longer. Thats what I wish more college athletes would want instead of the dollar bills.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 07:49 AM)
Farm, do you ultimately see Jordy Hulls becoming more of a role player in the next two years or do you feel he can continue to improve as he did last year and be strong enough to lead this team to compete at the top of the Big Ten? In other words will he be good enough to delay major playing time from Abell or Ferrell the following year?

Maybe not at the beginning of the year, but by the start of the Big Ten play, this is honestly what I see shaping up to be the starting 5:

1. Abell

2. Hulls

3. Watford

4. Zeller

5. Pritchard

Yes, I put Hulls at the 2, and didn't include V3 at all. Hulls is way better when he can move off the ball. Meanwhile, Abell will hopefully be the point that Crean has needed who can drive and create opportunities for others on the floor. He's a big body who can drive. Yes, Hulls is small as a 2, but he's already shown that he can score despite his size, though he does have to increase the amount of times he drives, just to open up more 3 point opportunities. On defense they can switch, and Hulls will take the opponent's 1, and Abell will take the 2.

Watford likes to get outside a lot, and hopefully with Zeller in the mix we'll finally have the bodies for Watford to play the three. That said, Watford is so much better when he realizes he's bigger than his opponent and posts him up. Playing the 3, he'd have more opportunities for that.

Zeller at the 4 will take a lot of pressure off of Pritch. I'm not expecting Zeller to the second coming, but I think he will be the capable and fundamentally sound big man we've been sorely lacking.

I think the 4 guys off the bench will be V3, Sheehey, Oladipo and Elston. Oladipo is actually decent at the 4 despite his size because he's so athletic. Etherington won't get too much time, unless he shows early he can be damn good from outside.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 05:48 PM)
And? Does that diminish his attitude? First when he said he was staying everyone was saying he's lying, now you cant accept his words for the truth. Maybe the kid just meant what he said, that he wanted to be a college kid longer. Thats what I wish more college athletes would want instead of the dollar bills.

I'd stay an extra year or 2 when I'm a stud at college game but in the NBA my ceiling is Paul Millsap.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 05:52 PM)
What's up with M. Creek?

I'm not penciling him in til I see he's actually healthy again. He would be so damn good if he hadn't gotten injured (he was leading the entire nation in freshman scoring when he got injured two years ago). Then last year he obviously wasn't 100%, and then he injured the OTHER knee.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 07:43 PM)
I'm not penciling him in til I see he's actually healthy again. He would be so damn good if he hadn't gotten injured (he was leading the entire nation in freshman scoring when he got injured two years ago). Then last year he obviously wasn't 100%, and then he injured the OTHER knee.

How many years of eligibility does he have left?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 07:44 PM)
How many years of eligibility does he have left?

Only 2. He couldn't apply for a medical redshirt because both injuries occurred midway through the season (the first was in late December, the second was in mid-January). I wonder if he'll be granted an additional year after he's done because of time lost...but the precedent isn't good for that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 05:48 PM)

It's not really worth the risk just to "love" college basketball. I mean, it is their career. You wouldn't stay at your old job paying you $20K a year if another company offered you $500K to do similar work in the same field.

Will he love college enough to stay all 4 years? It's still leaving early, same principle, if he leaves after 2.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 08:42 PM)
It's not really worth the risk just to "love" college basketball. I mean, it is their career. You wouldn't stay at your old job paying you $20K a year if another company offered you $500K to do similar work in the same field.

Will he love college enough to stay all 4 years? It's still leaving early, same principle, if he leaves after 2.

So you are of the mindset that any college player who can play in the pros should leave as soon as possible? I'm not. I like when they stay and get a little more seasoning.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 08:42 PM)

20k a year at OSU might be a little low to be fair...