2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 06:42 PM)
Kansas State is hitting Mizzou in the mouth.

KSU wins it.

Have to give credit to bmags, who I believe was the one saying KSU would turn it around. Wins AT Baylor and Mizzou? And KSU's remaining three games are vs ISU, @ A&M, and vs OSU. They should win at least 2 of those 3.

Texas, meanwhile, after having the hot hand, is looking most likely to be the odd team out, if there is one. Currently a game back of KSU for 5th in the conference, sitting at 17-11/7-8, and still have to play @ KU.

Saturday will be fun: Mizzou @ Kansas, ISU @ KSU.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 06:45 PM)
Look sort of clueless against a 2-3 zone.

They've played fine against zones before. A mediocre K State team played just about as well as it can and Mizzou played its worst home game of the season. It sucks because now Kansas will romp them and Mizzou won't get a 1 seed or the Big 12, but it happens.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 08:50 PM)
Maybe I'm old, set in my ways, stupid or just not focusing due to a headache tonight, but that seemed like a complete waste of time and cybe space.

I agree. I read the whole thing and agreed with pretty much none of it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 06:24 PM)

I love the concept of the NCAA Cup, but the beautiful structure of the Champions League only really applies to pro sports.

Meanwhile, this MSU Minny game is setting up for a patented Gus moment.

Whew. Someone was looking ahead a bit too much. If ISU has lost to T-Tech, that would have put them in a big hole for an NCAA bid. Pulled it out late to win by 18.

Now 20-8 / 10-5, with @ KSU, @ Mizzou and vs Baylor left.

Win one of those, and they are a lock. Lose all three, and depending on what Texas and KSU do, they may need to make a showing in the B12 Tourney to get a bid.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 10:19 PM)
Win one of those, and they are a lock. Lose all three, and depending on what Texas and KSU do, they may need to make a showing in the B12 Tourney to get a bid.

Isn't this what I said a couple weeks ago and you refuted?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 09:32 PM)
I love the concept of the NCAA Cup, but the beautiful structure of the Champions League only really applies to pro sports.

Meanwhile, this MSU Minny game is setting up for a patented Gus moment.

College football & basketball are practically pro sports in todays age anyway.

Doesn't seem to be much Big East discussion here, but I gotta hand it to my Irish for winning their 9th straight last night by thumping West Virginia.

It's hard for me to grasp since I still see them as the team that lost by 30 to Missouri, but clearly they're better than that now.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 10:23 PM)
Isn't this what I said a couple weeks ago and you refuted?

Sort of. I think a lot depends on Texas. If Texas can't win-out, which they probably won't, then I think ISU is a near-lock (call it 90%) even if they lose all three. I think that is where you and I disagreed before - . I'd be shocked if the B12 didn't send 5 teams. I know that isn't truly part of the formula, but when it comes time to selections, I think it definitely comes into play. Furthermore, take a look at Texas and ISU's resumes right now:

ISU: 20-8 / 10-5... 2 wins against Top 25, 3 wins against Top 50

TEX: 17-11 / 7-8... 1 win against Top 25, 3 wins against Top 50

ISU gets to play KSU, so they have some chance of adding to the Top 25-against resume, Texas plays KU. ISU has played better against the stronger in-conference competition. I just think the only way Texas passes ISU is if ISU loses all three and Texas wins all three. Just my view of things.

Now what may be really interesting is, the way things are going, there is a good chance ISU and Texas will play each other first in the B12 tournament. So even if Texas and ISU do end up 20-11 / 10-8, and Texas then has a stronger resume, ISU could STILL get in by winning that game, which is in KC and will likely be semi-home for ISU.

The only path I see with ISU not going, is they lose the next four games, and Texas wins the next four, or at least 3 of the next 4.

I could live a happy man if I never have to see another soft one-handed pass by Jordan Hulls! I love Jordy and think he has made himself into a good player and improved immensly in the past two years, but in the past month he has gotten extrememly sloppy with the ball making terrible passes that are easily intercepted and picking up his dribble at the wrong time. Probably doesn't help that he hasn't shot nearly as well as early in the season, but combine the ball handling with his inability to play D and I am growing more frustrated by the day with him.

Also, has anyone seen Christian Watford lately?? Maybe IU should make up some missing person posters and distribute them!

Edited by Rex Hudler

For all of you MVC fans...

It appears likely there will be 5 teams finish with a 9-9 league record, creating a logjam for positions 3-7 in the standings. Has anyone attempted to figure out how that mess will be sorted out in terms of seeding for the tournament?

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 11:30 AM)
For all of you MVC fans...

It appears likely there will be 5 teams finish with a 9-9 league record, creating a logjam for positions 3-7 in the standings. Has anyone attempted to figure out how that mess will be sorted out in terms of seeding for the tournament?

FWIW I pulled this off the salukitalk website

W L W L

Wichita St. 15-2(MVC) 24-4(overall)

Creighton 13-4(MVC) 24-5(overall)

Drake 9-8(MVC) 16-13(overall)

Missouri St. 9-8(MVC) 16-14(overall)

Northern Iowa 8-9(MVC)18-12(overall)

Illinois St. 8-9(MVC) 17-12(overall)

Indiana St. 8-9(MVC) 17-12(overall)

Evansville 8-9(MVC) 14-14(overall)

SIU 5-12(MVC) 8-21(overall)

Bradley 2-15(MVC) 7-23(overall)

I believe H2H is how it shakes out right now

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)
FWIW I pulled this off the salukitalk website

W L W L

Wichita St. 15-2(MVC) 24-4(overall)

Creighton 13-4(MVC) 24-5(overall)

Drake 9-8(MVC) 16-13(overall)

Missouri St. 9-8(MVC) 16-14(overall)

Northern Iowa 8-9(MVC)18-12(overall)

Illinois St. 8-9(MVC) 17-12(overall)

Indiana St. 8-9(MVC) 17-12(overall)

Evansville 8-9(MVC) 14-14(overall)

SIU 5-12(MVC) 8-21(overall)

Bradley 2-15(MVC) 7-23(overall)

I believe H2H is how it shakes out right now

So, looks like MVC sends 2 teams to the NCAA Tourney this year. Probably anywhere from 1 to 3 of them to NIT, including maybe Drake, who you don't often see in the post-season.

Well, at least SIU isn't the worst team in the conference. Which is amazing considering all the new lows they have hit this year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 11:42 AM)
So, looks like MVC sends 2 teams to the NCAA Tourney this year. Probably anywhere from 1 to 3 of them to NIT, including maybe Drake, who you don't often see in the post-season.

Well, at least SIU isn't the worst team in the conference. Which is amazing considering all the new lows they have hit this year.

Bradley is in quite a tailspin, no doubt. Jim Les had some big problems toward the end