2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)
FWIW I pulled this off the salukitalk website

W L W L

Wichita St. 15-2(MVC) 24-4(overall)

Creighton 13-4(MVC) 24-5(overall)

Drake 9-8(MVC) 16-13(overall)

Missouri St. 9-8(MVC) 16-14(overall)

Northern Iowa 8-9(MVC)18-12(overall)

Illinois St. 8-9(MVC) 17-12(overall)

Indiana St. 8-9(MVC) 17-12(overall)

Evansville 8-9(MVC) 14-14(overall)

SIU 5-12(MVC) 8-21(overall)

Bradley 2-15(MVC) 7-23(overall)

I believe H2H is how it shakes out right now

That doesn't answer my question. There is a very good chance that 5 teams will be 9-9 after this weekend, with Indiana State sitting in 8th place at 8-10. Head to head comparisons can't work in a 5-way tie.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 12:22 PM)
That doesn't answer my question. There is a very good chance that 5 teams will be 9-9 after this weekend, with Indiana State sitting in 8th place at 8-10. Head to head comparisons can't work in a 5-way tie.

1. Round robin head to head.

2. Non conference strength of schedule.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 12:22 PM)

Sure they can, as a pool. Take each team's record against the other four, and that amounts to a H2H record amongst the tied teams.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 11:01 AM)
Sort of. I think a lot depends on Texas. If Texas can't win-out, which they probably won't, then I think ISU is a near-lock (call it 90%) even if they lose all three. I think that is where you and I disagreed before - . I'd be shocked if the B12 didn't send 5 teams. I know that isn't truly part of the formula, but when it comes time to selections, I think it definitely comes into play. Furthermore, take a look at Texas and ISU's resumes right now:

ISU: 20-8 / 10-5... 2 wins against Top 25, 3 wins against Top 50

TEX: 17-11 / 7-8... 1 win against Top 25, 3 wins against Top 50

ISU gets to play KSU, so they have some chance of adding to the Top 25-against resume, Texas plays KU. ISU has played better against the stronger in-conference competition. I just think the only way Texas passes ISU is if ISU loses all three and Texas wins all three. Just my view of things.

Now what may be really interesting is, the way things are going, there is a good chance ISU and Texas will play each other first in the B12 tournament. So even if Texas and ISU do end up 20-11 / 10-8, and Texas then has a stronger resume, ISU could STILL get in by winning that game, which is in KC and will likely be semi-home for ISU.

The only path I see with ISU not going, is they lose the next four games, and Texas wins the next four, or at least 3 of the next 4.

I think our destiny is almost assuredly Kansas State in the 4-5 game.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 06:49 AM)
College football & basketball are practically pro sports in todays age anyway.

That's not the point. I'm referring to the fact that college players are 1-4 year rentals and right when they're at their best they leave. Obviously there's player movement in pro sports, but for the most part you are able to get compensation for a player in the form of a trade or at the very least open cap space.

If you're qualifying for the 2013 'Champions League' in the 2012 season it kind of screws things up in college.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
That's not the point. I'm referring to the fact that college players are 1-4 year rentals and right when they're at their best they leave. Obviously there's player movement in pro sports, but for the most part you are able to get compensation for a player in the form of a trade or at the very least open cap space.

If you're qualifying for the 2013 'Champions League' in the 2012 season it kind of screws things up in college.

That's why they included the option that if you qualify for the following season's Champions League as a senior, you gain an extra year of eligibility to play in the next season.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
1. Round robin head to head.

2. Non conference strength of schedule.

Okay, here is how things will shake out then. All of this is based on the premise that this weekend...

Evansville beats Missour State at home

Northern Iowa wins @ SIU

Illinois State wins @ Bradley

Drake loses @ Wichita State

Indiana State losing at home to Creighton. (If ISU wins we would have a six-way tie!)

If the above doesn't happen, then none of this matters.

If all 5 finish 9-9 the head to head:

Evansville and Illinois State finish 5-3

Northern Iowa 4-4

Drake and Missouri State 3-5

Based on strength of schedule I would think the seedings would be:

3. Evansville

4. Illinois State

5. Northern Iowa

6. Drake

7. Missouri State

I guess Evansville's game against Mo St. this weekend is a pretty big game for both. A win guarantees Mo St. the #3 seed at 10-8. A loss would likely drop Evansville all the way to 8th, losing a tiebreaker to IN St.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 03:10 PM)
Not gonna matter. Witchita State is gonna win Arch Madness anyway.

Come on Brian, how many times did SIU, UNI, Creighton, WSU go into arch madness as the heavy favorite only to lose?

Anything is possible. Except SIU winning it all

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
Come on Brian, how many times did SIU, UNI, Creighton, WSU go into arch madness as the heavy favorite only to lose?

Anything is possible. Except SIU winning it all

Agreed but I just feel they are the hottest team by far in the conference now.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 02:42 PM)
That's why they included the option that if you qualify for the following season's Champions League as a senior, you gain an extra year of eligibility to play in the next season.

Which is contrived and a bit lame. Players are still going to go to the NBA so the players staying would only be second tier, at best, players.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 03:36 PM)
Agreed but I just feel they are the hottest team by far in the conference now.

They are but that can certainly change in 2 weeks. It will most definitely be WSU or CU though. I could see MSU, InSU or UE beating one of them but not both on back to back days. There would have to be complete chaos for a team other than the Shockers or Jays to win imo.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 06:47 PM)
Well I assume at half Ryan gets told that hes been screwed at least a handful of times, so I expect that if it keeps going this way Ryan gets a technical in the 2nd.

That being said, even with all the nonsense, Wisconsin can win this game if they play better.

Of course they can. They are a better team than Iowa. Plus, Iowa has blown 2 good size leads this year already.