2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 10:16 PM)
Rumor is Ryan is telling recruits they are going to play more fast paced in the future, this year Wisconsin has tried to fast break considerably more.

Wisconsin is still the slowest paced team in the country. They aren't running more and Ryan is a liar (not that all coaches don't lie in recruiting) if he is telling recruits that.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 07:59 PM)
Odd game, refs were all over the place but I think they hurt both sides equally. If Gatens doesnt go insane Wisconsin probably wins, ah well, at least the rushed the court makes me feel a little better.

Gatens has been getting better and better. He's made major strides under Fran, too bad he was stuck with Lick early in his career. The win probably helps Iowa get there NIT birth. They have some really quality wins and are a pretty up and down team that still has some major flaws, but seems headed in the right direction. They also have some terrible losses (and huge blowout losses). I'm still surprised they aren't in the top 100 RPI wise, given the fact that they have quite a few conference wins (and the Big 10 is a strong conference), and that included some big road wins. But in no way am i arguing they are a top 50 team.

Iowa pretty much played Wisconsin style basketball the final 4 minutes and luckily, they were just able to run enough clock out to hold on and win.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 09:59 PM)
Odd game, refs were all over the place but I think they hurt both sides equally. If Gatens doesnt go insane Wisconsin probably wins, ah well, at least the rushed the court makes me feel a little better.

He did the same against IU last week. Nailed three 3's in the second half, including one from 5-6' behind the line with Watford in his face as the shot clock was running out. All happened within 3-4 minutes and killed all chances of IU making a comeback. I think he finished with 29?

It was bad enough I flipped him off after the last two and got yelled at by the girl I was watching the game with. She said he was good and wasn't acting like an ass. I told her I didn't give a sh*t and he could be good against someone else.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 09:41 AM)
Interesting. Who is this person?

And don't show that to Chisoxfn, they have Iowa not even being in the NIT, or even on the bubble for it.

It does only have games played through Tuesday at this point, so after last night Iowa may have played their way into the picture. I'm sure Chisoxfn will be eagerly anticipating the update.

Anyone else watching ESPNU and First Take: College Basketball? Who is the blond hosting? I'm digging the sexy hair up/glasses type thing.

/perv

NM, it was Charissa Thompson. Didn't recognize her.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 03:45 PM)
Anyone else watching ESPNU and First Take: College Basketball? Who is the blond hosting? I'm digging the sexy hair up/glasses type thing.

/perv

NM, it was Charissa Thompson. Didn't recognize her.

Samantha Steele>all.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 05:50 PM)
Samantha Steele>all.

They never put Samantha on camera when she does sidelines it seems. She is only the cutest sideline girl out there. Why would ESPN actually put her on camera?

Anyone see the Pat Knight rant going off on his seniors? It does remind me a lot of the days of his father. I have mixed feelings about it. In today's world it seems awfully harsh, especially mentioning specifics such as issues with drugs. But on the other hand its refreshing. Too often fans don't understand team dynamics and think coaches should turn out winners every year. Sometimes teams and players simply do not gel. Every sports team relies heavily on leadership within the team. A team without leadership from its players is a team that loses or underachieves. I can personally cite examples from my freshman and sophomore years on the baseball team in college. Freshman year we had talent and a lot of fun. Won more than we lost, finishing something like 31-27. Sophomore year, the seniors decided they weren't going to put fun over work and instituted some team rules and policed them themselves. We went 44-20, went to the NCAA Tournament and beat #1 Arizona State in Sun Devils Stadium in the opening game. We were definitely a better team, but also a much more focused team.

If you have a bunch of seniors that don't care or push themselves and their teammates, mediocrity will be the result. Maybe calling the seniors out is what Knight needed to do to 1. get the team to focus the rest of the year and 2. send a message to the underclassmen that this is the end of that culture.

Of course, depending on how many seniors he has, he could just kick them off the team, play short-handed and sent the message to the rest of his players that way.

Knight goes off on seniors

Thoughts?

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 01:09 PM)
Man Anthony Davis is just a freak. Fetus ezeli is probably the next best center in the conference and Davis just had his way with him today

Yeah, but his name is Festus. That's a helluva burden to carry. :D