2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

[Theyquote name=Rex Hudler' date='Feb 25, 2012 -> 08:25 PM' post='2552846]

Evansville beat Creighton and took them to OT at their place so they can beat them. Then again, reality may set in for both teams and it may end up a 12 point Bluejay victory. Then again, beating Missouri State the third time will be no easy task. As much as I love the Aces, I think they caught a break with the seeding tiebreaker. No one can convince me they are the 3rd best team in the Valley. What I do like about this team is they never quit and have a lot of heart.

They caught a break with their seeding I suppose but they definitely didn't catch a break with their opponent.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may need glasses but thought that was clearly a foul on Shurna's shot. In real time, it is a tough call but maybe the ref heard the slap. Who knows.

PSU coach has to be frustrated losing so many close games this year.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 07:29 AM)
I may need glasses but thought that was clearly a foul on Shurna's shot. In real time, it is a tough call but maybe the ref heard the slap. Who knows.

PSU coach has to be frustrated losing so many close games this year.

I thought he clearly got bumped before the shot, not as sure on the shot. I tend to think Shurna doesn't miss it that bad unless he was hit though.

Apparently I jinxed UNM. Lost two in a row now.

Looks to me now like Big 12 has 5 locked and a 6th (Texas) on the bubble (leaning out).

Big 10 with 6 locked (Purdue clinched Saturday) plus NU on the bubble (also leaning out IMO).

Big East, people are saying 9, but I think its 8. I don't see UConn and WV both making it, and I am not even sure about USF.

SEC 2 locked, with Vandy and 'Bama on the bubble.

ACC 3 locked, UVA on the bubble (leaning in), NC State on the bubble (leaning out), and Miami with a long-shot chance if they win out.

MWC 3 locked, might get a fourth if one of TCU or CSU wins out but I doubt it.

PAC-12 has only Cal locked, with Wash, AZ and Oregon all on the bubble, I'd guess 2 of those make it.

WCC with 3 teams all with high odds, but one could drop out.

A-10 is a cluster-f***, Temple and St Louis are in but there are 3 or 4 other teams that might sneak in too.

MVC with 2 in, and UNI on the bubble.

Horizon, WAC, Colonial and Summit could all sneak in an at-large bid based on how their tournaments fall out.

Love this time of year for basketball.

Real nice win by the Hoosiers @ Minny today. I don't care how much they've been struggling. To go into Minnesota and completely control the game is what IU needed right now. There really wasn't anything to complain about. It wasn't perfect, but it was a balanced effort and both Christian Watford and Jordan Hulls appeared to find missing parts of their games.

Now back to Bloomington for a showdown against Michigan State. Best case scenario IU could get to a #3 seed in the tournament, though a 4 seed is more likely. Not bad after a 12-20 and 3-15 season a year ago! Should be a great atmosphere Tuesday night.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
I thought he clearly got bumped before the shot, not as sure on the shot. I tend to think Shurna doesn't miss it that bad unless he was hit though.

I think Shurna got a star call to be honest. I didn't see the contact until multiple replays, but I agree that he wouldn't miss that badly without contact. That's a star call. Who'd have thought Northwestern would have a guy capable of getting one of those? Hey, at least it wasn't decided on a reach-in foul like a certain game in Lawrence yesterday.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
Apparently I jinxed UNM. Lost two in a row now.

Looks to me now like Big 12 has 5 locked and a 6th (Texas) on the bubble (leaning out).

Big 10 with 6 locked (Purdue clinched Saturday) plus NU on the bubble (also leaning out IMO).

Big East, people are saying 9, but I think its 8. I don't see UConn and WV both making it, and I am not even sure about USF.

SEC 2 locked, with Vandy and 'Bama on the bubble.

ACC 3 locked, UVA on the bubble (leaning in), NC State on the bubble (leaning out), and Miami with a long-shot chance if they win out.

MWC 3 locked, might get a fourth if one of TCU or CSU wins out but I doubt it.

PAC-12 has only Cal locked, with Wash, AZ and Oregon all on the bubble, I'd guess 2 of those make it.

WCC with 3 teams all with high odds, but one could drop out.

A-10 is a cluster-f***, Temple and St Louis are in but there are 3 or 4 other teams that might sneak in too.

MVC with 2 in, and UNI on the bubble.

Horizon, WAC, Colonial and Summit could all sneak in an at-large bid based on how their tournaments fall out.

Love this time of year for basketball.

Agreed on the big 12.

I actually think NU is leaning in but that can be argued forever.

UConn had a good enough non con where they should get in, WVU is definitely in trouble.

Vandy is in. Bama is an interesting case cause of their suspensions, not sure what the committee will do with them

UVA is prolly in, agreed on the other 2

Agreed on the MWC

Agreed on the pac 12

I'm not going through every team in the a10...clusterf*** describes it well.

UNI isn't getting an at large.

Horizon isn't getting an at large, Cleveland State had a shot but they blew it. Nevada had their shot at Iona but they aren't getting one either. The caa ooc is pretty bad but I got a hunch they'll get an at large. And ORU is a really good team but they aren't getting an at large either.

Then you have Murray who is a lock, Southern Miss and Memphis who are prolly in with UCF having a shot. Harvard would be bubblicious if they don't win the ivy. That's just off the top of my head, I'm probably missing a few conferences.

Forgot about LBSU who is chilling on the bubble as well.

Can't wait for half the s16 to be mids this year...

LBSU would actually be a real interesting case if they somehow don't win the Big West tourny. They've really beaten nobody but they also played the most insane ooc schedule ever.

I personally think they're better than most of these bubble teams but I couldn't put them in because they haven't beaten anyone.

Intriguing case...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
The loss from that list was just sad.

It was sad in terms of how they played, but I really didn't expect them to win both @ Iowa and @ Minnesota. IU's margin for error is still pretty small and road wins are still tough to get. With 7 games left I was looking for a 5-2 finish. Right now we're 4-1 with two tough home games left. I'd love to hold serve in these last two. Either way, I think we're looking at a quarterfinal game in Indy against Wisky. I'd love to get to the semis in Indy and see how much of a home court environment it could become.

IU seems to be a near lock for a four seed in the tournament, barring losing their next three or winning their next four. March is much more fun when the Hoosiers are involved! If only we can Evansville firing on all cylinders next year. They have most of their team back including Colt Ryan so I think they have to be better. Ryan Sawville has impressed in the 2nd half as well and should only get better as an inside presence.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)
It was sad in terms of how they played, but I really didn't expect them to win both @ Iowa and @ Minnesota. IU's margin for error is still pretty small and road wins are still tough to get. With 7 games left I was looking for a 5-2 finish. Right now we're 4-1 with two tough home games left. I'd love to hold serve in these last two. Either way, I think we're looking at a quarterfinal game in Indy against Wisky. I'd love to get to the semis in Indy and see how much of a home court environment it could become.

IU seems to be a near lock for a four seed in the tournament, barring losing their next three or winning their next four. March is much more fun when the Hoosiers are involved! If only we can Evansville firing on all cylinders next year. They have most of their team back including Colt Ryan so I think they have to be better. Ryan Sawville has impressed in the 2nd half as well and should only get better as an inside presence.

Creighton will of course be really good again. I like CU, UE, ISU(red), and UNI next year a lot.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 08:17 PM)
You guys going to want a March Madness sub forum again? Do we want to put conference tourney stuff in there? I don't remember what we did before as far as that. Horizon League is the first to begin on the 28th.

I was actually just going to start bugging you about that. I love the sub forum, very necessary imo.

And yes we always open it when the conference tournys start.

Does anyone follow Purdue? What was the deal with Barlow? It seems as he has been a problem for a long time, not just this past time he got in trouble. Dan Dakich commented on today's IU game that he knew the family. He said his father was great and mother was a very nice woman then hesitated and said that he felt sorry for the parents and that it was evident Barlow had to be let go and probably should have been let go before the season. He didn't say anything specifically negative about the kid, but the message was received loud and clear.

Damn, Illinois played hard today. I was hoping Iowa would find a way to pull it out. They got it close a few times but clearly were outmatched by the Illini. Both teams had way too many turnovers but the difference was Illinois did a much better job converting easy points on the turnovers.