2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice 1st half for the Hoosiers! The thing I love about this team is it is just that. They are unselfish and 7-8 guys can do big time damage in any one game or half. Sadly, I thought they were doing a great job on Green and all of a sudden he is into double digits. He's hit some big shots to keep them close.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 10:14 PM)
Too bad the tournament isn't played there. IU goes out in the first round IMO.

That's what I'm afraid of, since this team has absolutely zero postseason experience. In fact, none of them have even won a Big Ten Tournament game.

I figure we'll get a 5 seed (though I could see anywhere from 4-6), so hopefully that gives us a win in the first game, and maybe we can play really well and make it to the Sweet 16. That'd be a fantastic season, but I'm not holding my breath for that.

I think IU could also be poised to make a run. Their in the tournament, nothing to lose. I think maybe a S16 before we're trounced? Next year could be very special... Add in a top 3 class class to this exact same team a year older (minus verdell)... YIKES

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 07:14 AM)
I think IU could also be poised to make a run. Their in the tournament, nothing to lose. I think maybe a S16 before we're trounced? Next year could be very special... Add in a top 3 class class to this exact same team a year older (minus verdell)... YIKES

Doesn't Creek have 1 more year of attempts to not get hurt also?

Anyway, IU ought to be in the 5-12/4-13 danger zone, but in a normal year 2.5 of those teams advance, and then you have a big time 4-5 matchup in the round of 32. The Sweet 16 ought to be where you predict they wind up just based on numbers.

That said...we know they can win huge games at home, we know they're not very good on the road, but we know pretty much nothing about them on a neutral site. They play like last night, they can take anyone. They come out iffy...eh...

And frankly, I have no idea what kind of job Crean does at getting guys amped for a tourney game, since...well yeah, you know.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 01:11 AM)
It all depends on the draw obviously, but the 5-12 matchup usually springs an upset or 2.

I'm with ya. Depends on the matchup obviously but I think there's a good chance they'll be gone in the 1st round, id be pretty damn surprised if they make it passed the 1st weekend.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 08:50 AM)
SPN Stats & Info ‏ @ESPNStatsInfo

Indiana is the 4th team in past 10 years with 3 wins over AP Top-5 teams. Last time Hoosiers did that they won the national title.

Clearly though, Indiana did not do this in the past 10 years. This statemetn is at best partially misleading.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 07:50 AM)
SPN Stats & Info ‏ @ESPNStatsInfo

Indiana is the 4th team in past 10 years with 3 wins over AP Top-5 teams. Last time Hoosiers did that they won the national title.

The last time the Hoosiers did that they finished undefeated - the last team to do so. Great season, but far different teams. LOL

I believe IU is almost a lock for a 4 seed. Beat Purdue and or Penn St in the Big Ten tourney and we should be good there. Beat Purdue and find our way to the tournament finals in Indy and a 3 seed is not out of the question. Lose to Purdue and a quick out in Indy and a 5 is possible.

Keep in mind they did beat NC State in a true road game as well as Evansville. Neither are close to the level as the teams they beat at home, but NC State is a bubble team and Evansville did have some nice wins in the Valley after a tough start. They also beat Notre Dame easily on a neutral court, albeit when ND was struggling. The Purdue win on the road didn't hurt either. That said, yes they are a much different team in Assembly Hall.

I look forward to seeing who they draw in the first round. The matchup is key, but if they keep playing well I think a Sweet Sixteen spot is attainable. From that point on, it would be gravy. If they land in Nashville, I'll be there. Louisville, more than likely. A sweet sixteen spot in Atlanta would be quite groovy and while it is far fetched, if they land in the Final Four, you can bet your ass I'll be in New Orleans!!

Rex,

Just so you know the best Indiana can do is the 5 seed. When Wisconsin won yesterday they clinched at worst the 4 seed (due to tie breaker with Indiana) and at best the 3 seed (due to various tie breakers, but it requires Michigan to lose both of their remaining games.) If you were talking NCAA tournament, not Big10, then disregard the above.

Not really excited for the tournament because a 4/5 @ Indiana doesnt really appeal at all to me. I know that the Big10 is going to bring the tournament back to Chicago in the future, I just dislike it being mainly in Indiana. Id have no problem with a rotation, that included most Big 10 states, but dont like the fact Indiana is getting such an advantage. (I also dislike it in football, but because Indiana is less relevant its not as much of an immediate concern.)

Edited by Soxbadger