2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 09:51 AM)
Rex,

Just so you know the best Indiana can do is the 5 seed. When Wisconsin won yesterday they clinched at worst the 4 seed (due to tie breaker with Indiana) and at best the 3 seed (due to various tie breakers, but it requires Michigan to lose both of their remaining games.) If you were talking NCAA tournament, not Big10, then disregard the above.

Not really excited for the tournament because a 4/5 @ Indiana doesnt really appeal at all to me. I know that the Big10 is going to bring the tournament back to Chicago in the future, I just dislike it being mainly in Indiana. Id have no problem with a rotation, that included most Big 10 states, but dont like the fact Indiana is getting such an advantage. (I also dislike it in football, but because Indiana is less relevant its not as much of an immediate concern.)

I was definitely talking about the NCAA Tournament.

I do think your pereception of the tournament in Indiana being an advantage is off. I didn't go back and look at yearly results, but my recollection doesn't have IU doing very well in the Big Ten tournament anywhere, let alone in Indy. I would love for it to become an advantage if we get to the semis or finals, but IU's history in the tournament, I don't believe, will prove IU has much of an advantage. I'll be happy to be proven wrong this year, however.

Did anyone notice the set up for the Horizon League tournament? I was checking it tonight to see what Butler's road back to the big dance was and noticed a different bracket than I've ever seen.

The #1 and #2 seeds - Valpo and Cleveland St get byes all the way to the semifinals (3rd round).

They have seeds 3 thru 10 play opening round games and the four winners play each other Friday night. The winners of those two games advance to the semis against the 1 and 2 seeds. It works out that the top two seeds have to win two games to win the tournament and everyone from three down would have to win four. I've never seen a tournament stacked like that to favor the top teams.

The other wrinkle is that Valpo is the host. But if they lose in the semifinals on Saturday, the finals take place at the home of the highest remaining seed on Tuesday. Again, maybe small conferences do things differently, but I've never seen the tournament location move depending on who won.

Edited by Rex Hudler

The West Coast Conference has done that format with 8 teams. I like it. It favors the top seeds as they earned and gives the other teams at least a playing chance.

Gus' call on that Marcutullio tying three was hilarious. I played it back a few times on the DVR and laughed every time. He's such a parody of himself.

Not really excited for the tournament because a 4/5 @ Indiana doesnt really appeal at all to me. I know that the Big10 is going to bring the tournament back to Chicago in the future, I just dislike it being mainly in Indiana. Id have no problem with a rotation, that included most Big 10 states, but dont like the fact Indiana is getting such an advantage. (I also dislike it in football, but because Indiana is less relevant its not as much of an immediate concern.)

The conference needs to fill the seats, so Indy and Chicago are the only real viable options for the tournament. Also, since Purdue has only won once and IU none, it doesn't seem to be a major advantage. It's not like either team is playing on their home court.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 09:05 PM)
Mizzou wins by six. Not a fan of the officiating tonight, but whatever. We're not going to get those calls on the road. Sure as hell hope we get Mizzou back next week.

I'll take it. I'd love to see them knock off Baylor at home to put an exclamation point on a pretty fantastic B12 season. I had a good feeling Freddy would get the team better, but this team has exceeded expectations, especially once the B12 season started. That loss to Drake still stings though.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 09:37 PM)
Giant sad face plus USF and Cinci probably got in tonight as well. Cats are in trouble.

Agreed on all three, I think NU is headed for the NIT.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)
Agreed on all three, I think NU is headed for the NIT.

Barring a run in the Big Ten tourney, I concur. So many close losses too, what a bummer. I was hoping to get the chance to root for NU in the tourney, since the only exciting thing about the Illini is the hunt for next year's head coach.

Yes. Iowa with a nice controlling road win in Nebraska. And yes, I know Nebraska sucks, but newsflash, Iowa has been absolutely horrendous since Alford left, so playing near .500 ball in conference is great. Iowa had some horrible early season losses which really killed their RPI (which is horrific). Its too bad they will lose Gatens. Guy has been money this year.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 10:39 PM)
Did anyone notice the set up for the Horizon League tournament? I was checking it tonight to see what Butler's road back to the big dance was and noticed a different bracket than I've ever seen.

The #1 and #2 seeds - Valpo and Cleveland St get byes all the way to the semifinals (3rd round).

They have seeds 3 thru 10 play opening round games and the four winners play each other Friday night. The winners of those two games advance to the semis against the 1 and 2 seeds. It works out that the top two seeds have to win two games to win the tournament and everyone from three down would have to win four. I've never seen a tournament stacked like that to favor the top teams.

The other wrinkle is that Valpo is the host. But if they lose in the semifinals on Saturday, the finals take place at the home of the highest remaining seed on Tuesday. Again, maybe small conferences do things differently, but I've never seen the tournament location move depending on who won.

The horizon has done this for a bit. There are some smaller conferences that have some fun set ups.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)
Oh and I hope everyone will tune in tonight to watch the embarrassment that is SIU basketball.

Getting my paperbag ready. One to puke in and the other to cover my face up with.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 10:39 PM)

I think that format is great and every smaller conference should do something similar. When your only chance to make the Big Dance is by winning your conference tournament, you should get some kind of advantage if you were the best regular season team.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 11:26 AM)
Long Beach State is really, quite good.

Yes they are. I hope they don't stumble in their conference tourny cause as I sadi earlier in this thread they're a very unique case and I have no clue what the committee would do with them.

CSU also won last night so more bad news for other bubble teams.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 10:56 AM)
I think that format is great and every smaller conference should do something similar. When your only chance to make the Big Dance is by winning your conference tournament, you should get some kind of advantage if you were the best regular season team.

Not to mention the Big Dance isn't better served by having a .500ish team out of a third rate conference playing the #1 team in the nation to open up.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 09:48 AM)
Yes they are. I hope they don't stumble in their conference tourny cause as I sadi earlier in this thread they're a very unique case and I have no clue what the committee would do with them.

CSU also won last night so more bad news for other bubble teams.

They better be in regardless. I'm hoping my Titans make a run in the Big West tourney and knock em off. They have a pretty solid team too. Nowhere near LBState good but good enough to play some postseason ball. They currently in 2nd place in the conference (11-4; 20-8) but have finished the season really strong. Fullerton plays Long Beach on Saturday and I think I'm going to go.