2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 09:34 AM)
Barring a run in the Big Ten tourney, I concur. So many close losses too, what a bummer. I was hoping to get the chance to root for NU in the tourney, since the only exciting thing about the Illini is the hunt for next year's head coach.

Bill Carmody is the Vinny Del Negro of college coaches. Watch him coach and you think he's terrible in-game, but look at the results vs. the talent and you can't really complain overall. Seems like this team could have won at least two more instead of dropping basically every game that came down to the last minute.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (farmteam @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 01:19 AM)
That's what I'm afraid of, since this team has absolutely zero postseason experience. In fact, none of them have even won a Big Ten Tournament game.

I figure we'll get a 5 seed (though I could see anywhere from 4-6), so hopefully that gives us a win in the first game, and maybe we can play really well and make it to the Sweet 16. That'd be a fantastic season, but I'm not holding my breath for that.

I would actually rather us get a lower seed. I know we are only winning big games at home, but in a neutral site I believe that IU will come to play when the stakes are higher. might take a lower ranked team for granted in the first round.

All in all im just excited we are ranked this year and will make the tournament. Beating #1, #2, and #5 is a bonus.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)
I'll take it. I'd love to see them knock off Baylor at home to put an exclamation point on a pretty fantastic B12 season. I had a good feeling Freddy would get the team better, but this team has exceeded expectations, especially once the B12 season started. That loss to Drake still stings though.

Agreed on all three, I think NU is headed for the NIT.

Should be a great game. Game is already sold out but they are still selling SRO tickets. It's a totally different team than the one that lost to Drake and UNI.

And yeah, once some AQ bids are stolen, I expect NW to fall off the bubble. Of course, I also expect them to lose to Iowa.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)
Yes. Iowa with a nice controlling road win in Nebraska. And yes, I know Nebraska sucks, but newsflash, Iowa has been absolutely horrendous since Alford left, so playing near .500 ball in conference is great. Iowa had some horrible early season losses which really killed their RPI (which is horrific). Its too bad they will lose Gatens. Guy has been money this year.

Iowa has been the most erratic team I've ever seen.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 12:50 PM)
Bill Carmody is the Vinny Del Negro of college coaches. Watch him coach and you think he's terrible in-game, but look at the results vs. the talent and you can't really complain overall. Seems like this team could have won at least two more instead of dropping basically every game that came down to the last minute.

Ouch, Vinny is a bit harsh. I'd put it on roster limitations a lot more than coaching, mostly on the interior.

Their centers are terrible and have been for basically his entire tenure. Because of that they get murdered on the glass, struggle to defend any team that has strong, athletic guys that can get inside, and have no low post play to get them easy buckets. If they even had a serviceably big man they'd be in way better shape.

They always seem to have a jumper-heavy team with 2 guys that can score and a bunch of role players. That doesn't leave them much margin for error, which is why we see games like that.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 10:18 PM)
Ouch, Vinny is a bit harsh. I'd put it on roster limitations a lot more than coaching, mostly on the interior.

Their centers are terrible and have been for basically his entire tenure. Because of that they get murdered on the glass, struggle to defend any team that has strong, athletic guys that can get inside, and have no low post play to get them easy buckets. If they even had a serviceably big man they'd be in way better shape.

They always seem to have a jumper-heavy team with 2 guys that can score and a bunch of role players. That doesn't leave them much margin for error, which is why we see games like that.

That was kind of my point though. Given the rosters he's had, it's hard to complain. Just watching the in-game coaching it seems like he's bad.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 3, 2012 -> 03:30 PM)
What a horrendous call just now in the Iowa-Northwestern game. Shurna trips over his own two feet and they call a foul on Iowa fouling McCabe out of the game.

Gosh. You Illini fans complain about the refs that aren't even involved in your game!

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 3, 2012 -> 03:57 PM)
Who do you root for now? Northwestern or the Valley to get 3 teams in?

Cats. I'd love for both to happen but if I had to choose 1 I'll take NU over UE or the Red Birds.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 3, 2012 -> 04:31 PM)
Cats. I'd love for both to happen but if I had to choose 1 I'll take NU over UE or the Red Birds.

I understand, however I am going to treat you as hostile anit-Evansville for the next two hours. I'm done with you until after the Evansville is eliminated or heading to the dance!

I don't know what to think about UNC. On the one hand, I feel like they could beat anyone if they play to their potential. On the other hand, I could easily see them losing in the Sweet 16 if Barnes has a bad night since their other perimeter players aren't the greatest scoring threats.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 3, 2012 -> 08:02 PM)
I don't know what to think about UNC. On the one hand, I feel like they could beat anyone if they play to their potential. On the other hand, I could easily see them losing in the Sweet 16 if Barnes has a bad night since their other perimeter players aren't the greatest scoring threats.

Pretty much. Consistency is the most valuable trait to have in the tournament.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 3, 2012 -> 09:05 PM)
Pretty much. Consistency is the most valuable trait to have in the tournament.

Really? I feel like consistency is nice but plenty of inconsistent teams in the regular season have hit a groove to take over the tourney.